FINALLY - someone in "national media" gets it (mostly) right about Brandon Miller (SI had it too and deleted it)...

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
I was at a company wide meeting this weekend with folks across the country. This was a big topic and I took a lot of “stuff” over it. It was surprising how many folks actually thought it was Miller’s gun. When I told them it wasn’t they were speechless. Some folks just believe headlines.

Reactions: LA BamaCarl

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I read a story in my feed about a relatively young “author” (a progressive) who moved to Alabama from NY state (not city). She wanted to see if the predominant beliefs about people in Alabama held by her fellow New Yorkers (and many up North) - barefoot, ignorant, etc. - were accurate. So it’s not difficult to understand why most all northern-based media went after BM and Bama hard.
As far as the so-called “sports journalists” from the South (Toppmeyer, Goodman et al, mostly) they jump at any opportunity to get on a Bama-bashing bandwagon.
Alabama will bear the “stigma” that these people have branded us with, likely, for many years to come. Surely a lot of it is political, but the “homegrown” haters are just jealous of Bama’s football successes. Whenever a Bama player is involved in any situation where crimes are committed, they will always be guilty, and to some of these freaks, even after they’re proven innocent of any wrongdoing.
Hate blinds.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The day the walk-ons parents decided to sue the new York times for libel was the day these media outlets started changing their tune.
You’re right. You could hear the sphincter muscles clamping shut in every news room in the country.

The Duke Lacrosse team rape allegations would probably be an appropriate sports related comparison. The media had pitchforks out when that first came out. Then when facts came out not a peep.
I’d forgotten about that. There was a similar incident at a fraternity house at UVA.

If I remember correctly, in that instance it was The Rolling Stone that stepped in it.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Not the most well written article. But interesting.
Don't think this attitude doesn't percolate down to the officiating, in basketball as well as football. Only a tiny slice of this group grew up Bama fans. They would be superhuman, if they didn't let it color their officiating. It's the reason no one ever gets called for OL holding on us. It's the reason for these ungodly foul counts in BB. What did TAMU shoot over us - 18 FTs? It permeates all the sports and makes up have to overcome it on the way to victory...

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
You don't have to read but a few of his writings to see what his agenda is. I think I'll pass on reading anything else with his name on it.
I stumbled upon an on line interview Oats did with Goodman. Not sure when it occurred but it was recent. At the end of it, Oats was giving him the business for his comments when he was hired. Goodman tried to walk back what he really said, that he thought Oats was an “out of the box” hire but Coach - half laughing, half steely eyed - told Goodman to go back and read his own article because that is not what he said at all.

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
I was at a company wide meeting this weekend with folks across the country. This was a big topic and I took a lot of “stuff” over it. It was surprising how many folks actually thought it was Miller’s gun. When I told them it wasn’t they were speechless. Some folks just believe headlines.
Ditto for mtgs in DC. Most thought Bama shouldn’t even be playing in the NCAAT and Oats should be fired for his callousness. One dude was adamant he read BM went to ‘their’ apt, got the gun, and then drove to the spot and handed Miles the gun. No one wanted to hear the facts so finally had to tell everyone to knock it off or I was walking out. Most of it was ribbing me for being a Bama fan but a third of them wanted to get into it on their self-righteous pedestals.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
My opinion on the judicial system and process in Tuscaloosa County forever changed when I served on a jury. I saw unbelievably incompetent and lazy prosecutors and can certainly see how someone with no money could get railroaded . The prosecutor had a narrative of what happened and that was it. Damn the facts. Damn the evidence (or lack thereof) and damn the witnesses. I truly think a law school student….scratch that a moderately competent high school debate member could have done a better job. That said when it came time to decide whether or not to give someone who had ZERO evidence that he had been there or done anything 25 years to LIFE in prison another juror stated, “They said he done it, so he done it.” That sounds like the refrain from a lot of the anti-Miller and Bama chorus.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
My opinion on the judicial system and process in Tuscaloosa County forever changed when I served on a jury. I saw unbelievably incompetent and lazy prosecutors and can certainly see how someone with no money could get railroaded . The prosecutor had a narrative of what happened and that was it. Damn the facts. Damn the evidence (or lack thereof) and damn the witnesses. I truly think a law school student….scratch that a moderately competent high school debate member could have done a better job. That said when it came time to decide whether or not to give someone who had ZERO evidence that he had been there or done anything 25 years to LIFE in prison another juror stated, “They said he done it, so he done it.” That sounds like the refrain from a lot of the anti-Miller and Bama chorus.
a would be high school lawyer is more competent, that's classic. To your point, why did they file such serious charges without a complete investigation? Usually they take their time, sounds like maybe there was pressure from somewhere.

Reactions: Con

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Another great one from the village idiot at Al.com. I guess if Pearl had gotten everybody else’s players, this year would have been different. Still nothing resembling an apology to Miller, Oates, and Alabama.
Yeah, they missed on a recruit and that's why Auburn's offense looked like Iowa football's offense...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Yeah, they missed on a recruit and that's why Auburn's offense looked like Iowa football's offense...
Pretty much ... weird thing to elude to on CBP's part, kinda of a slap in the face to the players that played this season.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
In the early 80s there was a serial rapist at large around campus. As you might imagine, TPD was under a lot of pressure to catch the guy. One night a friend of mine was walking back to the dorm from the library when the police stopped him and took him in for questioning.

All the victims stated that their attacker was a thin black man, about 6'2".

My friend was stocky, white, and 5'6".

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
a would be high school lawyer is more competent, that's classic. To your point, why did they file such serious charges without a complete investigation? Usually they take their time, sounds like maybe there was pressure from somewhere.
Well actually I said a law school student scratch that a high school debate member…😆

I HAVE NO IDEA how it got to trial. I was literally floored watching it. It was truly incredible and not in a good way. I learned TWO lessons: 1) where the saying that you can indict a ham sandwich came from and 2) why persons of color (and the poor) are very skeptical about the judicial process. As a white man I doubt that I will ever truly understand it like they do but it absolutely opened my eyes.

Reactions: dtgreg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.