FINALLY - someone in "national media" gets it (mostly) right about Brandon Miller (SI had it too and deleted it)...

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
It's a good thing cameras were around to capture the moment.

This was a PR stunt because of what Saban said. Most will see right through this and it just keeps the story alive. This PR department is full of amateurs.
I completely disagree. Who is to say that this wasn't something that was already planned earlier this week, before Saban made his statement. We have seen Saban do this with multiple teams before they leave to go to big playoff or tournament games. I think it is completely unfair to call it a PR "stunt".

Also, they have camera's there every single practice for social media use.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
It's a good thing cameras were around to capture the moment.

This was a PR stunt because of what Saban said. Most will see right through this and it just keeps the story alive. This PR department is full of amateurs.
Dunno 'bout that - they've done a jam-up job of keeping the flagrant fouls in Commissioner Saban's lunch league under wraps...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
CNS has a history of visiting with other Alabama teams in the past.

This was NOT a PR stunt IMO.

CNS is "pro-Bama" all the way. He's all in. He's a lifer now.

And I'm not worried about CNO. He's got "millions" of reasons to get past this and he's got a great foundation laid for future success at Alabama too!

If the media would let this die IT WOULD DIE.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Posted this on another thread in the FB forum, but it applies here, too...

I couldn't care less if Oats gave the 'politically correct / socially acceptable' answer or not - he answered the question honestly. No harm, no foul - only those who are looking for a reason for their feelings to be hurt are bothered by any of this.

The hand wringing over all this is astonishing. People are so freaking soft.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Posted this on another thread in the FB forum, but it applies here, too...

I couldn't care less if Oats gave the 'politically correct / socially acceptable' answer or not - he answered the question honestly. No harm, no foul - only those who are looking for a reason for their feelings to be hurt are bothered by any of this.

The hand wringing over all this is astonishing. People are so freaking soft.
I agree completely. And I was only upset that Coach Saban brought it back into the spotlight. I'm willing to acknowledge he didn't do it for some kind of personal insult, but I have a hard time believing he did not know Coach Oats had suffered the fallout from using that exact phrase.

But whether I'm right or wrong, I'm sick of it and for my part it is dead. Coach Saban would not have had the meeting with the basketball team prior to leaving for the Sweet 16 if there was some kind of issue between him and Coach Oats.

Roll Tide and let's take care of business this weekend.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Most disagree with his assessment, and most agree it wasn’t necessary and definitely uncalled for in the current situation
He could have chosen other words to get his point across; he didn’t, probably because he really didn’t care how the GP perceived it because it was (in his mind) directed at his players.
He made a mistake IMO and Bama needs to hire the best damage-control PR team they can find, because what they have now is not sufficiently competent, to me.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Honestly from listening to Saban's comments, I really don't think he was referring to the basketball program at all. Just seems kind of a stretch for that to be the first assumption made from what he said. I just don't get that impression at all.from this. If the media hadn't run with that headline, I'm not sure we'd even be thinking about the comments in that way

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
After giving Oats to Bama a lot of thought, I think there might be a hint to Izzo and Coach Saban’s relationship in the hire. I’m pretty sure Izzo knew him from his high school coaching days and thought a lot of him. I think CNS meant nothing personal regarding his remarks. RTR

Reactions: BamaInBham

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
After giving Oats to Bama a lot of thought, I think there might be a hint to Izzo and Coach Saban’s relationship in the hire. I’m pretty sure Izzo knew him from his high school coaching days and thought a lot of him. I think CNS meant nothing personal regarding his remarks. RTR
It's well established that CNO worked Izzo's camps and was frequently around him and his program.

Reactions: bamamc1

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While this has nothing to do with MILLER, it has plenty to do with the usual suspects known as the national news media. I give you.....born in Louisville, KY but spends his time bashing the South so he can get good seats in LA restaurants by his groveling, self-loathing, BILL PLASCHKE!!!!

Plaschke: Streaking UCLA deserving of No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament (yahoo.com)

UCLA is a one-seed. Period. No team is tougher. No team is more tested. No other team has spent the last four years together preparing for this moment.

The 27-4 Bruins might not be future NBA stars, but they are terrific and experienced college players, and that’s what wins championships.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Most disagree with his assessment, and most agree it wasn’t necessary and definitely uncalled for in the current situation
He could have chosen other words to get his point across; he didn’t, probably because he really didn’t care how the GP perceived it because it was (in his mind) directed at his players.
He made a mistake IMO and Bama needs to hire the best damage-control PR team they can find, because what they have now is not sufficiently competent, to me.
I reiterate that I basically took it as him being a parent here and knowing what people do.

How often do you here some bozo - okay, Pete Rose is a good example - "that was my mistake".....but by "mistake" they mean BROKE THE LAW!!! COMMITTED A CRIME!!!

Same thing here. I DO think he was referencing the b-ball situation abstractly. Folks, if you've ever been around kids, especially MALE COLLEGE AGE kids (and I'm not judging - I was one a long time ago)....you know what's coming. Player X is gonna get arrested for (name it) and try to minimize his foul-up with "I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

I think it's possible Saban was thinking of it from that vantage point but people are applying it as a universal law, largely because his language was so absolutist.

One could argue every single person killed on the Pan Am 103 flight was "just in the wrong place at the wrong time." It DOES happen, I just took it as he isn't going to accept some 17-21 year old giving him that excuse when he screwed up.

Reactions: CB4

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
While this has nothing to do with MILLER, it has plenty to do with the usual suspects known as the national news media. I give you.....born in Louisville, KY but spends his time bashing the South so he can get good seats in LA restaurants by his groveling, self-loathing, BILL PLASCHKE!!!!

Plaschke: Streaking UCLA deserving of No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament (yahoo.com)

UCLA is a one-seed. Period. No team is tougher. No team is more tested. No other team has spent the last four years together preparing for this moment.

The 27-4 Bruins might not be future NBA stars, but they are terrific and experienced college players, and that’s what wins championships.
Plaschke's #1 seed lost last night.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I thought I might still check in with al.com to get practice reports and beat writing stuff, but, an article I just read about Saban joking about his bracket with Jay Bilas that included a paragraph about Miller's "outstanding season" being "marred by off-the-court complications" is the last straw.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought I might still check in with al.com to get practice reports and beat writing stuff, but, an article I just read about Saban joking about his bracket with Jay Bilas that included a paragraph about Miller's "outstanding season" being "marred by off-the-court complications" is the last straw.
He's depending on "hate hits" from Bama fans and "gloat hits" from rival fans. I'm through with him...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.