First time visitor! Need help and advice.

Pmb11

Sep 12, 2021
Roll Tide! So I’ll be making my first trip ever to Bryant-Denny Stadium for the LSU game and would love to get some advice and must see’s to get the best experience for two first time visitors. A little bit about myself is that I’m 33 years old and I’ll be traveling from Michigan for the game and taking my nephew whose a Junior in high school currently in Hoover. What are the must see’s and do’s for game day in Tuscaloosa? Thanks for any help and suggestions for a first time visitor!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Go to the TideFans home page, and click on the Gameday tab, at the top of the page, just right of center.

Only part I’m not sure about is the tickets.

As part of the response to COVID, tickets went all-electronic last year. Stayed the same this year. So I’m not sure if the old setup — you know, guys with city-issued licenses on lanyards, selling inventory of paper tickets out of their pockets on The Strip — works anymore.

I didn’t see any Saturday, but it was Mercer, so I still don’t know for sure.

For a lot of reasons that might or might not have anything to do with LSU’s W-L record, LSU tickets will be in demand.

Given the uncertainty around buying tickets on game day, I’d advise going through a ticket broker (might involve setting up an electronic account with any of several possible intermediaries), and doing it far enough ahead that you aren’t jammed up on time getting all your ducks in a row.

Yeah, you might pay a few dollars more. But you’re traveling from Michigan, and the additional outlay will be lost in the total cost of the trip.

Glad you’re coming & hope you have a great time!

Last edited by a moderator:

TopBamaBloke

Scout Team
Jun 7, 2021
You can park for free on several streets that connect to Greensboro Ave in downtown Tuscaloosa. It’s about a 30 minute walk to the stadium entrance and lots of great restaurants along the way there.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Roll Tide! So I’ll be making my first trip ever to Bryant-Denny Stadium for the LSU game and would love to get some advice and must see’s to get the best experience for two first time visitors. A little bit about myself is that I’m 33 years old and I’ll be traveling from Michigan for the game and taking my nephew whose a Junior in high school currently in Hoover. What are the must see’s and do’s for game day in Tuscaloosa? Thanks for any help and suggestions for a first time visitor!
Welcome to TideFans.

Reactions: OSUTideFan

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Study the parking maps on www.uagameday.com. Different parking lots will funnel you out in different directions. McFarland Blvd. is the main drag to the east side of campus and the interchange with I-59 has recently undergone a massive redo, so coming in that way is a lot better than it used to be.

Also, bring a mix of cash and card. Some of the concession stands in Bryant-Denny are now card only; some still take both. Unless you pre-purchase parking the paid lots will take cash.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. Get there early (no matter the game time).
2. Experience the heavenly bliss of the Quad - the sights, sounds and smells (you can walk around for hours and not get bored)
3. Get into the stadium at least 1 hour before game time - watch it fill up and watch warm ups and pre-game rituals (get ready for some goosebumps!!!)

Reactions: SavannahDare

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
My personal recommendations - others may freely disagree...

Lodging:
Generally, when looking at hotels in Tuscaloosa, pay more attention to traveler rating than star rating. There are a lot of - putting it nicely - not great hotels in Tuscaloosa.

Option A (cheapest): Stay in Bessemer or southwest Birmingham area. You can get a good hotel for a third (or less) than similar accommodations in Tuscalooosa. However, there are two drawbacks: you'll spend around 2.5-3 extra hours of your day driving instead of enjoying Tuscaloosa and, depending on kickoff time, might end up getting back to the hotel around 2:00 am.

Option B (most expensive): Stay in Tuscaloosa in a nice hotel, close to campus, checking in Friday night and checking out Sunday morning. You can walk pretty much everywhere or take an Uber/Lyft or golf cart around campus/town. After the game, just make your way down the strip, take it in, and find a restaurant for dinner. There are plenty of good ones. Then, whenever you're ready, just walk back to the hotel.

Option B (middle): Stay in Tuscaloosa in a decent hotel (or AirBnB), away from campus, checking in Friday night and checking out Sunday morning. If you rented/borrowed a car, drive into town. There's a parking deck downtown (I think free) that has a cheap, city shuttle that gets you close to the stadium but it doesn't run all day. If not, just take an Uber/Lyft to campus or the strip. After the game, just make your way down the strip, take it in, and find a restaurant for dinner. There are plenty of good ones. Then, whenever you're ready, either walk back to the parking deck or take an Uber/Lyft to get back to the hotel.

Tailgating:
Since you're from Michigan, I recommend wearing some Michigan-related gear. If you're also a Bama fan, wear a Bama shirt and a Wolverine or Sparty hat - or whatever floats your boat.

- Before the game -
Wander the Quad, introduce yourself, and tell people you're from Michigan and it's your first Bama game. You'll likely get several invitations to join a few tailgates.

- After the game -
Hit the strip. Move a bit more downtown for dinner as the better restaurants are that way. Black Warrior Brewing has a taproom downtown that's pretty good with (IIRC) darts and foosball upstairs.

Eating and Drinking:
I've mentioned Black Warrior's taproom.

My favorite restaurants in the Tuscaloosa area, by cuisine and in order, are:
Barbecue:
- Archibald's (Northport)
- Archibald & Woodrow's (Tuscaloosa)
- Jim-N-Nick's
- Dreamland

Breakfast or Brunch:
- Waysider
- Metro Diner
- Southern Ale House

Lunch or Dinner, not BBQ (cheaper):
- The Grocery Brewpub
- The Avenue Pub
- Central Mesa

Lunch or Dinner, not BBQ (not cheap):
- DePalma's
- Five
- Chuck's Fish

Pmb11

Sep 12, 2021
So many great tips! I really appreciate it all and I’ve got lots of things I need to check out. So a couple of follow ups.
1. So I’ll be traveling with my 16 year old nephew from Hoover AL where his mom (my sister) relocated from Michigan. I found a shuttle service that departs Hoover 5 hours before game time and I like this option of not having to deal with traffic. Has anyone taken the shuttle and will that give me enough time to take everything in??

2. I love the Idea of showing people that I’m a visitor and did the same thing when I went to other SEC games. Personally I’m a Notre Dame fan, would I be good with wearing an ND hat and a Bama shirt or should I get a Sparty hat (I’m not wearing any Wolverine gear) instead?

3. Since I’m traveling with a minor I’m assuming most campus bars wont let him inside? So should we focus more on meeting people at tailgates? In my two SEC games I attended theres nothing like the tailgates anyways.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
So many great tips! I really appreciate it all and I’ve got lots of things I need to check out. So a couple of follow ups.
1. So I’ll be traveling with my 16 year old nephew from Hoover AL where his mom (my sister) relocated from Michigan. I found a shuttle service that departs Hoover 5 hours before game time and I like this option of not having to deal with traffic. Has anyone taken the shuttle and will that give me enough time to take everything in??

2. I love the Idea of showing people that I’m a visitor and did the same thing when I went to other SEC games. Personally I’m a Notre Dame fan, would I be good with wearing an ND hat and a Bama shirt or should I get a Sparty hat (I’m not wearing any Wolverine gear) instead?

3. Since I’m traveling with a minor I’m assuming most campus bars wont let him inside? So should we focus more on meeting people at tailgates? In my two SEC games I attended theres nothing like the tailgates anyways.
Wear your colors, whatever they may be.

Notre Dame is one of our least favorite programs and we generally have little regard for their fans as a whole.

However, you are not a fanbase, you are a person - and I would expect the majority (every program has fools) of our fans to treat you with at least as much respect as you show.

I'll let others answer numbers one and three as those are situations with which I am generally unfamiliar...

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I recommend wearing LSU gear and yelling “Tiger Bait” while walking thru campus.

Since you’re new, blue font indicates a joke. I’ve been to 3 LSU Bama games in T town and have been treated very graciously while wearing LSU gear, but I’m not an obnoxious idiot. We will probably be 4-4 when the game occurs, so you may witness Ogre’s last game.

• Haha
Reactions: OSUTideFan

Pmb11

Sep 12, 2021
I recommend wearing LSU gear and yelling “Tiger Bait” while walking thru campus.

Since you’re new, blue font indicates a joke. I’ve been to 3 LSU Bama games in T town and have been treated very graciously while wearing LSU gear, but I’m not an obnoxious idiot. We will probably be 4-4 when the game occurs, so you may witness Ogre’s last game.
I sure hope your Tigers can turn it around so I can experience a really electric environment! Back in college I went to the UF game in Death Valley and I was blown away! Tigerland on a Friday night was incredible and than tailgating the next day was even better. The people I was tailgating with actually gave me 40 yard line lower bowl tickets because they said "You can't fly down all the way from Michigan and have your first Tiger Stadium experience be in the cheap seats!"

Reactions: LSUgrad2BamaDad

Pmb11

Sep 12, 2021
Wear your colors, whatever they may be.

Notre Dame is one of our least favorite programs and we generally have little regard for their fans as a whole.

However, you are not a fanbase, you are a person - and I would expect the majority (every program has fools) of our fans to treat you with at least as much respect as you show.

I'll let others answer numbers one and three as those are situations with which I am generally unfamiliar...
Oh for sure, I know there's no love lost between the two programs. I for one have no desire be hostile whatsoever, just want to show that I'm a visitor and experience the SEC hospitality around gameday and the amazing sights, sounds and traditions that go along with it and nothing compares to the SEC tailgating.

Reactions: uafan4life

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Skip Dreamland and visit Archibald's in Northport.
Also, for this one, I recommend the #2 special:
12 Wings
Slab of Ribs
Large Side - The fried okra is very good.

I want to say it's $45 but it's plenty of food for two (probably three or maybe four) and a great example of Alabama barbecue. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.