News Article: First US launch of astronauts since shuttle next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — For the first time in nearly a decade, U.S. astronauts are about to blast into orbit aboard an American rocket from American soil. And for the first time in the history of human spaceflight, a private company is running the show.
Elon Musk's SpaceX is the conductor and NASA the customer as businesses begin chauffeuring astronauts to the International Space Station.
The curtain rises next Wednesday with the scheduled liftoff of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule with two NASA astronauts, a test flight years in the making.

spacex.jpg

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's sad that my BIL died last year and won't get to see this. He resigned from NASA as the Kennedy director to become CEO of a company dedicated to doing exactly this. They didn't make it. TBF, there wasn't enough interest in it at the time and the shuttle program marched on...

TexasBama

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Looking forward to (hopefully) watching this on TV.
I’ve never seen a launch live. SpaceX has a launch facility in Brownsville so maybe some day will drive down there and see one.

Reactions: Bazza

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
I watched the Friendship 7 launch last night on NASA. I told my wife at the end that I was stressed because I was worried John Glenn wouldn't make it back ;) I hadn't realized the issues they thought they might have with the heat shield after the first pass. But what an amazing journey.

My great uncle worked for von Braun and engineered electrical systems on the Jupiter with Miss Baker. He had his original schematics in the Smithsonian at one time. He designed some of the first satellite technology used for agriculture mapping, as well. He had a Ph.D. - which inspired me, too.

It was always a (far away) dream of mine to do space "stuff." My daughter has been to space camp the last few years and loved it. Anytime there's a launch that we can watch together, we do so. Her best friend's ambition is to be among the first to go to Mars but I think my daughter just enjoys the engineering and science aspects (she aspires to be an emergency room pediatrician).

Anyway, I'll be stressed watching - as I always am - knowing how complicated every single launch and vehicle is. The smarts behind engineering the modern rockets is astounding to me.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Too bad about the weather forecast but you never know around here. Sometimes the experts predict 80% rain and we don't get a drop!

If scrubbed, next opportunity to launch is the weekend.

Buddy of mine might be driving down tomorrow from his vacation home in Fripp Island. He and I have visited the Cape on several previous shuttle launches. I told him this time I will watch and cheer from my roof!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Too bad about the weather forecast but you never know around here. Sometimes the experts predict 80% rain and we don't get a drop!

If scrubbed, next opportunity to launch is the weekend.

Buddy of mine might be driving down tomorrow from his vacation home in Fripp Island. He and I have visited the Cape on several previous shuttle launches. I told him this time I will watch and cheer from my roof!
Where is his place on Fripp? My stepdaughter and husband have a place there, been in the family for a while...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Where is his place on Fripp? My stepdaughter and husband have a place there, been in the family for a while...
https://www.frippvacation.com/DisplayProperty/328

He has it set up as a vacation rental. If you scroll down that page there's a "map" link you can click which shows a Google view of it's location.

He is not coming today due to concerns the launch will be scrubbed due to weather. I think he may be right.

I told him I would take some pics from my new roof in the event they get it off. :)

Right now the sun is out and there is zero wind. Chamber of Commerce weather, as they say.

But the forecast is not looking good for the launch time:

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/KXMR

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One of the few areas we still cooperate with the Russkiis on is space, but I am glad to see Americans launching Americans into space.
A friend who is really plugged into the industry tells me SpaceX is so efficient wrt launches that the Russians will almost certainly be coming to SpaceX to go to manned LEO soon - it's cheaper than doing it themselves...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A friend who is really plugged into the industry tells me SpaceX is so efficient wrt launches that the Russians will almost certainly be coming to SpaceX to go to manned LEO soon - it's cheaper than doing it themselves...
When I first heard about boosters lifting the payload and then returning tail first to land, it sounded like bad science fiction. Then I saw them do it, and I realized the efficiency of reusing rockets.
I wish Elon Musk well. He is quirky, creative, and has vision.

Padreruf

All-American
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
When I first heard about boosters lifting the payload and then returning tail first to land, it sounded like bad science fiction. Then I saw them do it, and I realized the efficiency of reusing rockets.
Most geniuses walk to a different drummer...usually syncopated.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have watched it live - it is incredible to see and mind-bogglingly difficult from an engineering standpoint.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
https://www.frippvacation.com/DisplayProperty/328

He has it set up as a vacation rental. If you scroll down that page there's a "map" link you can click which shows a Google view of it's location.

He is not coming today due to concerns the launch will be scrubbed due to weather. I think he may be right.

I told him I would take some pics from my new roof in the event they get it off. :)

Right now the sun is out and there is zero wind. Chamber of Commerce weather, as they say.

But the forecast is not looking good for the launch time:

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/KXMR
I think the kids' place is on Bonito, sort of right in the middle. They rent it out some. I think most of the private owners there do. They have a lake place down towards Atlanta from Greenville, where they live and they use it more. Fripp is a long haul from Greenville and a helluva a long drive from here, so we've only been a few times...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I think the kids' place is on Bonito, sort of right in the middle. They rent it out some. I think most of the private owners there do. They have a lake place down towards Atlanta from Greenville, where they live and they use it more. Fripp is a long haul from Greenville and a helluva a long drive from here, so we've only been a few times...
Looks like you're about 8 hours away.

On the phone with my friend yesterday he said it's just over 300 miles from there to my place. 4 hours.

A 10 mile drive to the freeway (he was talking about I-95) which will be rather slow and then 90 MPH the rest of the way.

He was only kidding about the 90 MPH but he is a good driver and will set up behing a rabbit and maximize his opportunities.

He was born in England and came over here quite a long time ago, married a American, had three kids all of which are doing well in life. He and his wife reside in Northview, MI. He has his dual citizenship as well, naturally. We met about 22 years ago when he was looking to by a Porsche 911 Turbo located in Orlndo and through our talk forum inquired about getting a PPI. I responded with some input as well as an invite to stay over if he'd like. We've been great friends ever since and visited each other on several occasions.

One day I'll make it to Fripp for a visit......

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Looks like you're about 8 hours away.

On the phone with my friend yesterday he said it's just over 300 miles from there to my place. 4 hours.

A 10 mile drive to the freeway (he was talking about I-95) which will be rather slow and then 90 MPH the rest of the way.

He was only kidding about the 90 MPH but he is a good driver and will set up behing a rabbit and maximize his opportunities.

He was born in England and came over here quite a long time ago, married a American, had three kids all of which are doing well in life. He and his wife reside in Northview, MI. He has his dual citizenship as well, naturally. We met about 22 years ago when he was looking to by a Porsche 911 Turbo located in Orlndo and through our talk forum inquired about getting a PPI. I responded with some input as well as an invite to stay over if he'd like. We've been great friends ever since and visited each other on several occasions.

One day I'll make it to Fripp for a visit......
He's right about the slow part. It takes forever to wiggle your way into Fripp on that little two lane road. Pretty much that way on a lot of the barrier islands. IDK the address for the kids, but it's on Bonito only about a block from the beach, a easy walk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFansStore.com - Get your gear!

Purchases made through our TideFansStore.com link may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.