Poll: Fixing the national championship location

Best idea for fixing the NC site

• Total voters

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
From the looks of things we maybe looking at the single worst location ever chosen to host a national championship. Ive been a firm believer that the NCG should be indoors, in a central location, and with a lot of room. I think outdoor and long distance stadiums with very limited spaces are just dumb because they cut the number of fans going, and make grounds crews and mother nature a major factor in a crucial game more than they would be in a dome.

My #1 choice would be Dallas. But seeing how Dallas is a NY6 destination I think you would have to have some type of rotation. So I guess I would say Minnesota, Dallas, Indianapolis, and Houston should be a rotation. All dome stadiums, all have room, and all in a somewhat central location for travel.

Ive given a few choices. If you pick "other" please specify what that means

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like the system as it is, but they should be more selective in the bids that they are willing to accept.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I like the system as it is, but they should be more selective in the bids that they are willing to accept.
yeah the choice of Tampa and Santa Clara were pretty stupid imo. It was just the cfp trying to copy the NFL in picking lesser vacation spots to just say the SB isn't in LA, Miami, and New Orleans 9 times in a decade.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm fine with the upcoming Indianapolis host site. Chicago would be an interesting host site too but I imagine that wouldn't happen without a dome. The issue is that I don't think anywhere but Los Angeles area is a valid West Coast host site option. If ticket sales matter then they'll never leave the Deep South, Texas, or Midwest.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I would have to say that part of me would say in a free market society that the highest bidder should get it. It does seem weird, though, that an area with little to no interest in college football would even want it.
I'm not one who thinks it should be at a dome all of the time. I think football is better in the weather. Heck, put it in New York or Chicago in January for all I care. Both teams play under the same conditions, so it is plenty fair to me.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
What about Honolulu. Then we could promise prospects in our new recruiting hotbed that they'd always have at least one home game that grandpa and grandma could get to! :wink:

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
I Heck, put it in New York or Chicago in January for all I care. Both teams play under the same conditions, so it is plenty fair to me.
When we wax OSU/ Michigan/ Wisky at Giant Stadium instead of the Superdome or Orange Bowl, there goes their best excuse.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Why not London! Everyone seems to love it when the NFL and NCAA steal a home game from American fans to play in front of un-interested EU fans.

If you can't tell, I hate it when american leagues move games overseas. I think it is a slap in the face to every fan here that supports these teams. I bet a SB happens in London within the next decade.

Anyway, I voted for keeping it as is, just be smarted with the selection. They should have known this location wasn't going to be popular.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
From the looks of things we maybe looking at the single worst location ever chosen to host a national championship. Ive been a firm believer that the NCG should be indoors, in a central location, and with a lot of room. I think outdoor and long distance stadiums with very limited spaces are just dumb because they cut the number of fans going, and make grounds crews and mother nature a major factor in a crucial game more than they would be in a dome.

My #1 choice would be Dallas. But seeing how Dallas is a NY6 destination I think to have it in a rotation you would have to have some type of rotation. So I guess I would say Minnesota, Dallas, Indianapolis, and Houston should be a rotation. All dome stadiums, all have room, and all in a somewhat central location for travel.

Ive given a few choices. If you pick "other" please specify what that means
I too favor an inside venue, is there a domed stadium in St. Louis? I would suggest rotating the championship game between Dallas, Atlanta, Indianapolis and Phoenix. All are domed stadiums and offer ease of accessibility. I would actually be okay with a permanent indoor venue like Jerry World which is reasonably centrality located.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not one who thinks it should be at a dome all of the time. I think football is better in the weather. Heck, put it in New York or Chicago in January for all I care. Both teams play under the same conditions, so it is plenty fair to me.
After SB 41 I just have a hard time getting behind playing a national championship in most outdoor stadiums. Even our game in Tampa was pretty bad turf wise because they had to install new grass to meet the CFP standards on presentation. An artificial turf stadium under a dome doesn't have those worries. Yeah both teams play in it, but imagine a running team going against a passing team in the rain or snow. You wouldn't hear the end of it if the running team wins.

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I'm in the "other" category. First, I would always want the game to be indoors and not subject to weather. I want to see the teams at their best. I would go for a rotation of New Orleans, Dallas, Indy, and Atlanta. All indoor arenas, and it moves the game around in the area where college football is most cared about, and would probably get the best attendance.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I too favor an inside venue, is there a domed stadium in St. Louis? I would suggest rotating the championship game between Dallas, Atlanta, Indianapolis and Phoenix. All are domed stadiums and offer ease of accessibility. I would actually be okay with a permanent indoor venue like Jerry World which is reasonably centrality located.
Yes St louis still has a dome. They will be using The Dome at America's Center for the St Louis XFL team.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
After SB 41 I just never can get behind playing a national championship outdoors. Even our game in Tampa was pretty bad turf wise because they had to install new grass to meet the CFP standards on presentation. An artificial turf stadium under a dome doesn't have those worries. Yeah both teams play in it, but imagine a running team going against a passing team in the rain or snow. You wouldn't hear the end of it if the running team wins.
Just look at the Washington - Washington State game this year. State's passing game should have ruled the day, but thanks to a pretty massive snow storm, State's main offensive strategy was grounded, and they lost.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I recall NJ said no to putting a bid in at Met Life Stadium a few years back and I don’t blame them. It’s a dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I think the issue was that they didn't want to potentially tear up the stadium 3 days in a row (Jets, Giants, CFP). Out of the bids for this year Minneapolis, Jacksonville, and San Antonio all made more sense than Santa Clara. It takes almost an hour to get to the stadium on a good day from San Francisco Airport. I'm not totally against outdoor stadiums (though why should we have them after SB 41) , but against ones that make no logical sense in terms of geography, horrible grounds crews, and space. If they wanted one on the west coast then LA and San Diego are far superior choices than Santa Clara.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.