Florida hires Louisiana's Billy Napier as new Head Football Coach

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
I am being neither critical nor whiney. I just remember similar comments of Spurrier when he was coaching, that he didn't put in enough work. It could have been more during the Carolina years than when he was at UF.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I am being neither critical nor whiney. I just remember similar comments of Spurrier when he was coaching, that he didn't put in enough work. It could have been more during the Carolina years than when he was at UF.
Exactly. I couldn't care less how much a football coach, ANY football coach, spends at work. I just remember that it was a constant criticism of Spurrier. AND, he didn't help by making comments about having to get to his tee time, etc.

Reactions: Crimson1967

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As long as a coach wins games....they can play as much golf as they want. And their whinney little critics can go pound sand, as far as I'm concerned!
This part of the discussion started because someone commented that Spurrier didn't like Mullen due to his lack of work ethic. Spurrier was never known as a 'hard worker' or even a diligent recruiter - but he was still an elite CFB coach.

The sport in 2020 is wildly different than it was 20+ years ago. No one is questioning Spurrier's ability, just pointing out that it would be odd for him ti dislike Mullen for having a similar work ethic.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Oh sorry - I was referring to the Gator fans as the whiney little critics.

Could also apply to the Gamecocks fans as well.

Certainly not any Bama fans...... ;)

Reactions: The Ols

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
This part of the discussion started because someone commented that Spurrier didn't like Mullen due to his lack of work ethic. Spurrier was never known as a 'hard worker' or even a diligent recruiter - but he was still an elite CFB coach.

The sport in 2020 is wildly different than it was 20+ years ago. No one is questioning Spurrier's ability, just pointing out that it would be odd for him to dislike Mullen for having a similar work ethic.
See, I don't see them as having "a similar work ethic".

But I know the point you are making and it's a debatable one for sure.

Agree with you there was a difference in coaching ability - and with that comes a different degree of work ethic needed - but I would argue Spurs put WAY more work into his job than Dan.

Talking just the Florida years...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Had lunch this past week with a UF alum and we talked a little football. Like @Bazza said, he thinks the UF fan base is showing a degree of "lower expectations" which he hopes will allow Napier to fly a little under the radar in his first year.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf and Bazza

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wasn't that a knock on Spurrier too, played more golf than work?
As a college coach, the rap on Spurrier was that he didn’t want to recruit, and ignored the defense — I don’t think it’s random happenstance that his best success was with Bob Stoops as his DC. How often do you get an assistant of that caliber for a phase of the game that doesn’t interest you all that much?

At the Redskins, it was a question about work ethic. He had reputation for not putting in the hours.

He was a huge offensive mind, and for a while, that was enough. But as top-level defenses eventually adapted, he didn’t have an effective counter-response. Could still steamroll lesser teams, both in and out of the SEC and pile up splashy stats. But wins against top-flight competition got fewer and farther between.

Still, if he had been coaching when the OL downfield went from 1 to 3 yards (effectively 4-5), there’s no telling what he could have done.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Along with what Dawg2054 alluded to, I cannot believe that this is on Billy Napier--perhaps some systemic problems at UF? Getting players should not be a problem when your home turf is a talent hotbed like central Florida and the panhandle.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Along with what Dawg2054 alluded to, I cannot believe that this is on Billy Napier--perhaps some systemic problems at UF? Getting players should not be a problem when your home turf is a talent hotbed like central Florida and the panhandle.
Florida has built an army to recruit. They have a new $85 million football facility that is state of the art. They are a Top Five Public University Academically. Play in a 92,000 seat stadium.

As I see it - right now the biggest problem is recruits getting paid more at other institutions.

Sad state of affairs but that's where we are at right now.....IMHO.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Fixed it for ya. Lol

Looks like we really were out of sync with other schools and are now trying to catch up........

Back in 2021, 247Sports recorded the Gators as the No. 14 ranked team as far as recruiting budgets went, with $1.271 million. With the Gators now looking to spend $2 million, they would have ranked No. 5 on that list according to the numbers. That would put the Gators along the same lines of spending with programs such as Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Clemson according to those 2021 numbers.
https://247sports.com/college/flori...otball-recruiting-spending-budget--189511033/

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
You guys are probably right - but looks like we're headed in the right direction. It's going to take a little time. I just hope AR-15 has a good season. That QB position is so important in winning games.....

Florida added the 12th commitment of its 2023 recruiting class on Friday, and that means the Gators are once again on the rise in the team recruiting rankings.

After finishing Wednesday at No. 26 on the 247Sports team rankings, Florida jumped to No. 20 after adding Eugene Wilson III, who took over the top spot in the class. True to Napier’s word, Florida has prioritized those recruits that are located near Gainesville. Ten of the team’s 12 commits are from the Sunshine State and none are farther than 350 miles away from UF.

On3 is even more bullish on the Gators. It ranks them at No. 14, tied with Lousiville. With even more blue-chip recruits expected to consider Florida in the coming months, it may not be long until we see UF crack the top 10 in these ratings and the top 15 on 247Sports.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...recruiting-rankings-update-eugene-wilson-iii/

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.