JessN: Florida wrap-up: Hopefully a message for Bama, not its opponents instead

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
My observations are that we need to utilize the playmakers. By that I mean integrate some of the young studs brought in. The past few years, we had Smith, Waddle, Jeudy, Ruggs, Ridley etc., real playmakers who made things happen after they caught the ball. I would really like to see more touches for Earle and Hall, I think they are two guys who can make things happen after the catch. Bolden is a dependable, possession receiver but not a difference maker. I haven't seen it much, but is Robins even part of the passing game like Najee was?

Just based on yesterday's game in which Bama couldn't stop the run, A&M, Arkansas, Auburn and obviously GA (provided we get to the SECG) will be tough to handle.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Our inside linebackers looked lost for most of the game, particularly Christian Harris, who on many plays did not even seem to know where the ball was. Once Jones and his RBs crossed the line of scrimmage, there was nothing but open range until the DBs could respond. Meanwhile the tight ends on several key plays were not even covered.

These were glaring mistakes made by an experienced Back 7 against a mediocre thrower. Harris has been in the program for three years. At least for this game, he looked like he was making his first start.

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Great write up. Count me in the camp that's optimistic after the win rather than panicking about what awaits down the road. We've been spoiled with blowouts in recent years to the point we think it is normal. This is more like what a ranked game on the road should look like.

Here's a couple of issues I think could hurt us down the road if they don't improve though. These are things not just from this game but from all three.

1. Too many penalties. We are amongst the worst in the nation in this category. At this point the season is a quarter over so it's becoming a trend. Penalties can be crucial in close games, especially ones that extend or kill drives.

2. Not getting enough separation at WR and WR aren't testing contested balls. Part of this is we've been spoiled the last few years but there's a noticeable difference in how open our guys are. Particularly on Saturday they weren't able to come down with catches with a man on them. Teams with good defenses may be able to clamp down on us.

3. Bryce has got to learn to run a little bit more. I'm not saying he needs to carry the ball 10 times a game or anything like that but there were crucial times in this game he just refused to run. It's apparently a strength of his game so we can't totally fail to use it. The play in the end zone where Latu couldn't stay in bounds comes to mind.

I am very happy to see that we haven't really had issues with turnovers so far. No picks to this point. Considering that is a key component to most of our losses it's good to see so far. We are also forcing a good bit of turnovers as well. Great combination.

Hopefully we can tune things up this weekend against Southern Miss before the big showdown with Ole Miss in Tuscaloosa. We will certainly have to play a full game to come out of that one with a W.

Roll tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.