For the Whiskey/Bourbon Drinkers. What's your "go to"?

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I worked for the ABC Board for a number of years. I sampled every brand of bourbon the state carried. My favorite is a straight bourbon called Elijah Craig. I don't drink much these days, but when I do it's usually a single malt scotch. But I also occasionally enjoy the bourbon.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Are the others bourbons?
They are. They're often billed as Alabama-style whisky. But I noticed that the bottle now says straight bourbon.

BTW -- I used to think if it wasn't made in Kentucky, it couldn't be called bourbon. Turns out, that's not right.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
They are. They're often billed as Alabama-style whisky. But I noticed that the bottle now says straight bourbon.

BTW -- I used to think if it wasn't made in Kentucky, it couldn't be called bourbon. Turns out, that's not right.
From Wiki
The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption must be:

Produced in the United States
Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn
Aged in new, charred oak containers
Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)
Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)
Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)

Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period. Products aged for as little as three months are sold as bourbon. The exception is straight bourbon, which has a minimum aging requirement of two years. In addition, any bourbon aged less than four years must include an age statement on its label.

Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and does not have added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called straight bourbon.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Recently I was able to purchase a bottle of Thomas Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whisky for retail ($99). It's a very limited release from Buffalo Trace. At 126.2 proof, it packs a punch. I've only had one taste of it so far, and while it's pretty warm going down, it's also pretty smooth. I don't usually drink ryes and I'll need a couple more samples to describe it much more, but it is very good. I wouldn't pay the $400-$700 I see it sell for, but if you can pick it up at retail, I'd say it's probably worth it.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Recently I was able to purchase a bottle of Thomas Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whisky for retail ($99). It's a very limited release from Buffalo Trace. At 126.2 proof, it packs a punch. I've only had one taste of it so far, and while it's pretty warm going down, it's also pretty smooth. I don't usually drink ryes and I'll need a couple more samples to describe it much more, but it is very good. I wouldn't pay the $400-$700 I see it sell for, but if you can pick it up at retail, I'd say it's probably worth it.
I've been looking for a bottle of that for a while. I've had the baby Saz. Thomas Handy is near the top of my list to try.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I tried this over the weekend. I've had better single barrel bourbons. But for the price ($28) it was a very pleasant surprise.

View attachment 4909
I've had that one. Given its price point, its pretty good.

If you dig the single barrels, find a local liquor store that does their own barrel picks. Those are mostly single barrel and if you find a picker that knows whiskey, they will be really good. And they are typically very affordable.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just watching a documentary on Amazon Prime about Scotch. (Worth a look, by the way).
One of the master blenders said that 90% of Scotch whisky is matured in American oak ex-bourbon barrels. To make Kentucky straight bourbon or Tennessee sour mash whiskey, the law states that it has to be a new charred oak barrel used only once.
These barrels, once used, are ideal for maturing Scotch whisky.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just watching a documentary on Amazon Prime about Scotch. (Worth a look, by the way).
One of the master blenders said that 90% of Scotch whisky is matured in American oak ex-bourbon barrels. To make Kentucky straight bourbon or Tennessee sour mash whiskey, the law states that it has to be a new charred oak barrel used only once.
I was aware of that. A friend of mine for many years, another lawyer now deceased, had a mountaintop hunting camp over in the mountains of Jackson County. He was determined that I would see it and dragged me away one time mid-day to drive over. He had it stocked with vintage single-malt scotch. I turned it down the first couple of times but finally caved. I was glad I did... :D

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What is the name of the documentary?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Scotch: A Golden Dream. on Amazon Prime.
Over the last year I've started to "dabble" in the Scotch arena. One thing I've l earned so far with Scotch. If the price is cheap so is the Scotch. LOL! With Bourbon/Whiskey, you can find decent quality at relatively "cheap' prices. I haven't found that with Scotch yet. But I'll be honest, I haven't tried nowhere near the Scotch that I have Bourbon/Whiskey.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Over the last year I've started to "dabble" in the Scotch arena. One thing I've l earned so far with Scotch. If the price is cheap so is the Scotch. LOL! With Bourbon/Whiskey, you can find decent quality at relatively "cheap' prices. I haven't found that with Scotch yet. But I'll be honest, I haven't tried nowhere near the Scotch that I have Bourbon/Whiskey.
I was with two friends in a European city a couple of years ago. The hotel had a "whiskey library," sort of an upscale bar. My two friends were taking turns buying rounds of scotch over the days we were spending in the hotel. When I joined them for a dram, it was my turn to buy, so I ordered a round and made the mistake of letting the bartender select the scotch (which was what my friends had been doing). It was a nice scotch. When I got the bill, it was $150 for three shots. Ouch.
To my pallet, it wasn't worth 1/10 of that money.
Live and learn. Some folks will pay stupid money for a scotch just because somebody told them it was good.
My personal favorites are Lagavulin and Laphroiag.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
This! To get a really good Scotch, you at least need to spend $40 to $50 bucks (e.g., Laphroig 10, Ardbeg 10). You can obtain really good bourbons for under $30 bucks! Wild Turkey 101 is a fantastic one that is around $25. I've heard it's a blend of bourbons aged 6 to 8 years. You just can't beat that. Also, there are some quality bourbons in the under $20 range. Heaven Hill green label is aged for 6 years, but it's only sold in Kentucky. I can find that for under $15. Also, Evan Williams BiB White label is also another really good bourbon for under $15 and it's readily available just about anywhere.

In the $40 to $50 range, you can get some high quality bourbons such as Four Roses Single Barrel. It's hard to find now, but Henry McKenna BiB is excellent!

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I was with two friends in a European city a couple of years ago. The hotel had a "whiskey library," sort of an upscale bar. My two friends were taking turns buying rounds of scotch over the days we were spending in the hotel. When I joined them for a dram, it was my turn to buy, so I ordered a round and made the mistake of letting the bartender select the scotch (which was what my friends had been doing). It was a nice scotch. When I got the bill, it was $150 for three shots. Ouch.
To my pallet, it wasn't worth 1/10 of that money.
Live and learn. Some folks will pay stupid money for a scotch just because somebody told them it was good.
My personal favorites are Lagavulin and Laphroiag.
So true! Also, my personal favorites. I've not tried Lagavulin 8, but want to since it's a little less expensive than the 16.

Would I like to try a Laphroig 30 that's around $900? Sure. But, if you don't have a lot of money to spend (or have a wife that won't let you spend that kind of money on liquor), then I would recommend anyone that enjoys bbq or cigars, plop down a few bucks and try one of the Islay Scotches. Smoky goodness!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.