For the Whiskey/Bourbon Drinkers. What's your "go to"?

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
The list:

Daily sipper, Buffalo Trace.
Four Roses Small Batch
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof A120, 136 proof and definitely warm at the start.

And then a cup of coffee chaser because for some reason after you cross the 50 yard line, the term nightcap seems to apply more........... šŸ˜¬

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
While that is true for many types of spirits, bourbon seems to have more variety in proof than others styles. There is a ton of bourbon out there that is higher than 80. Take Evan Williams for example. Green label is at 80, black label is 86, and EW white label is 100. Also, most of the bourbon distilleries release several expressions that are barrel proof, (Maker's Mark Cask Strength, Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof, or Weller Full Proof). Many of these are not hot, or overpowering with the flavor of ethanol. Heaven Hill released an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof several months ago aged for 12 years and bottled at 130 proof! šŸ„“Can't wait to try that.
Thats true but anything that is labeled 80, 86, 100 proof is most likely watered down to proof and barrel proof liquors are definitely the exception. I had some Booker's that was over 130.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Interesting story (at least to me).

I have a friend who is a Miss State alum and a former high school referee. For many years, he has put me up for free and done computer work for free. I ALWAYS ASK HIM how much, and he never charges me anything. I show up with my computer and he doesn't even ask. "Let me see it, I'll give you more power."

He also repaired the computers of my ex and my son during the pandemic free of charge. So my ex actually went and took him and his wife out for dinner on her, their choice. And I sent him - to make up for everything - a big ole bottle of Johnny Walker Blue since his wife told me he likes scotch.

I talk to him about every six weeks and I'd ask if he tried it. Never, he said, he was saving it for a special occasion because the bottle is $300 scotch.

When MSU won the College World Series, he took a picture of the drink in the glass and his bottle. The next day he wrote me and said, "You have broken me from being a whiskey snob. I love this stuff!"

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Not much of a bourbon drinker, but do enjoy a Makers Mark with my lifelong buddy on the porch at the hunting camp watching the sun go down over the pines and hardwoods. That`s good for the soul IMHO! More of a scotch guy, though not really a single malt snob.

Reactions: Bazza

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Any Jameson fans? Just picked up a bottle and tried it for the first time. Of course, it's much lower ABV (40%) than my usual bottles and smooooth smooth smooth. I didn't know what to expect, but I kinda like it.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Elijah Craig...interesting story. The Craig distillery in Ky goes back to the late 1700's. In 1800 a church I later pastored (in 1977-82) was started and the Craig distillery gave a barrel of whiskey to help it begin. The Craig family was a mainstay of the church and that area for 200 years. You just never know what you'll find in church minutes...

Reactions: dayhiker and Bazza

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Elijah Craig...interesting story. The Craig distillery in Ky goes back to the late 1700's. In 1800 a church I later pastored (in 1977-82) was started and the Craig distillery gave a barrel of whiskey to help it begin. The Craig family was a mainstay of the church and that area for 200 years. You just never know what you'll find in church minutes...
My dad - a history professor, specializing in religious history - has hundreds of records of congregations of different churches (denominations) regularly buying communion wine from local bootleggers during Prohibition...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!ā€></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.