For the Whiskey/Bourbon Drinkers. What's your "go to"?

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
So I just found this thread. I consider myself a bit of a whiskey and bourbon snob and spend way too much money on a collection of whiskey I have.

A couple of things I would tell you to try you may not have had: Heaven hill bottled in bond, Smoke wagon uncut and unfiltered

If you can think of the bourbon, I have probably tried it. Feel free to fire away on questions.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My go to bourbon has become Blackened, Metallica's bourbon. I think it is great and not terribly expensive.

I am still trying different scotches. This thread has been a big help.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
So how do you drink your bourbon? Straight, on the rocks, 1 ice cube? I have heard many opinions on how to enjoy good bourbon. I have actually found shake and strain to be quite enjoyable. Shake and strain has very different flavors from just leaving it on ice.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
So how do you drink your bourbon? Straight, on the rocks, 1 ice cube? I have heard many opinions on how to enjoy good bourbon. I have actually found shake and strain to be quite enjoyable. Shake and strain has very different flavors from just leaving it on ice.
Yes.

It depends on the whiskey.

A little water (1-3 drops per ounce) in a whiskey with a large amount of non-water-soluble lipids will significantly change the flavor - giving you more depth up front than you would normally get.

A lower temperature will negate - or at least lessen - some of the flavors, good or bad, of whiskey.

And since taste is basically the most subjective thing ever...

Different whiskies can taste significantly better or worse to any given person depending upon how they're served...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
All I really need is just the bottle. I use a glass out of good manners.

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For me it depends on the whiskey, but I'll typically take it with a small amount of ice. Sometimes I take it neat, but as an (extremely) amateur chef, I find that many whiskeys just overpower the palette when served neat.

That said, as mentioned above there's no right way - it's however you like it.

Reactions: Bamafaninco1

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
For me it depends on the whiskey, but I'll typically take it with a small amount of ice. Sometimes I take it neat, but as an (extremely) amateur chef, I find that many whiskeys just overpower the palette when served neat.

That said, as mentioned above there's no right way - it's however you like it.
Sounds to me like someone needs a little more hair on their chest - gotta toughen up that palette!
;-)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
There is an app called AL BOSS that is from the AL ABC stores. You can look up anything they carry and it will show you which stores carry it, down to how many bottles are on hand. I've found a few non standard things that I was looking for and went right to the particular store for them. They employees don't always even know about the app or the stock you're asking about....but then there it is in the back.

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
Just saw this thread. I really like 1792 Single Barrel. Great stuff. I also keep a bottle of Blanton's around, along with Bulleit. I like Buffalo Trace a lot, so much so that I'm currently out of it. Willet's Pot Still is good stuff. I'll drink Woodford or Maker's Mark if it's around and others are not. I steer clear of Old Forester because of a bad experience.

I'll also admit to being a "Pappy Chaser". I've been trying to get a bottle of that stuff for nearly 10 years. This year may be my best opportunity, as I've been selected for 7th in line at one of the ABC stores in this year's sweepstakes. Here's hoping...

Reactions: TraskiTideFan

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'd settle for any of them, honestly. But from what I've read the 20-year is the best to drink. That being said, I was able to buy a bottle of the 15-year last weekend due to my spot in line as a result of the ABC sweepstakes, and I must say that it is, hands down and not even close, the best bourbon I've ever tasted.
I've had them all many times and the 15 is my favorite, by far. Most all of my buds agree. I suspect if you try the others you'll find the same. It's really the sweet spot, imo.

Congratulations and enjoy!

• Thank You
Reactions: Titans&Tide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.