Ford EV Mustang crossover

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've got a couple of coworkers who have Tesla Model S or Model 3...so I've never been behind the wheel of one but I have been in seated in one when the pedal hits the floor off a green light. :D

Let me just tell you, that this thing might not look like a traditional Mustang but even the base model will have an incredible sensation that I doubt their current entry Mustangs can achieve. The lowest available AWD model will feel like one of the fastest cars you've ever been in unless you regularly drive American V8 coupes, AMGs, or M series. Regular Model 3 Dual Motors (AWD) - not even the Performance model just released - has incredible, immediate torque and rapid 0-60. If I had to take a guess without ever driving one, the Mustang Mach-E GT will probably be one of the most [relatively] affordable but also practical "fun cars" available when released.

I'm stoked for this because a major American manufacturer decided to make a Tesla-style EV instead of an EV Prius clone. The allure of a Prius is more economic w/r/t gas cost...so you don't really have to build them to be desirable. For EVs to gain traction, they're going to have to be desirable because there is going to be some "start up cost" to equip your house for it.

Tesla has done a lot of great things but their build quality and supply chaining is still inferior to Ford or GM. The Model 3 Performance doesn't have heated steering wheel or ventilated seats with a 60k price tag! We have a 2018 Santa Fe Sport that has both features for 20k or more less! I have no doubt that this Mustang will be a better car in terms of overall build quality compared to the Tesla Model 3 or Y. They have existing parts manufacturers and competency. Tesla spends too much time custom engineering interior pieces instead of building relationships with expert suppliers. Of course, this over-engineering is going to end up being Tesla's selling point because their autonomous vehicle R&D is well ahead of the traditional manufacturers and their OS is superior (only the German Big 3 have caught up with them in the last couple of years).

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I've got a couple of coworkers who have Tesla Model S or Model 3...so I've never been behind the wheel of one but I have been in seated in one when the pedal hits the floor off a green light. :D

Let me just tell you, that this thing might not look like a traditional Mustang but even the base model will have an incredible sensation that I doubt their current entry Mustangs can achieve. The lowest available AWD model will feel like one of the fastest cars you've ever been in unless you regularly drive American V8 coupes, AMGs, or M series. Regular Model 3 Dual Motors (AWD) - not even the Performance model just released - has incredible, immediate torque and rapid 0-60. If I had to take a guess without ever driving one, the Mustang Mach-E GT will probably be one of the most [relatively] affordable but also practical "fun cars" available when released.

I'm stoked for this because a major American manufacturer decided to make a Tesla-style EV instead of an EV Prius clone. The allure of a Prius is more economic w/r/t gas cost...so you don't really have to build them to be desirable. For EVs to gain traction, they're going to have to be desirable because there is going to be some "start up cost" to equip your house for it.

Tesla has done a lot of great things but their build quality and supply chaining is still inferior to Ford or GM. The Model 3 Performance doesn't have heated steering wheel or ventilated seats with a 60k price tag! We have a 2018 Santa Fe Sport that has both features for 20k or more less! I have no doubt that this Mustang will be a better car in terms of overall build quality compared to the Tesla Model 3 or Y. They have existing parts manufacturers and competency. Tesla spends too much time custom engineering interior pieces instead of building relationships with expert suppliers. Of course, this over-engineering is going to end up being Tesla's selling point because their autonomous vehicle R&D is well ahead of the traditional manufacturers and their OS is superior (only the German Big 3 have caught up with them in the last couple of years).
The latest super cars are getting their incredible acceleration from electric motors. I saw an article lately where someone is building an all electric 2000 hp super car with stated acceleration of zero to 186 mph at 10.5 seconds.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

That’s not a very high bar. I don’t ever recall Ford or GM being lauded for build quality. I like my Mustang but I’ve had issues with trim falling off, the floor of the trunk caving, the faux leather on the passenger door panel coming off, rear view mirror looks weird, same for the radio,etc. The drivetrain has had zero issues after 125000 so I’m happy but all the little stuff seems to be typical of all Fords.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
That’s not a very high bar. I don’t ever recall Ford or GM being lauded for build quality. I like my Mustang but I’ve had issues with trim falling off, the floor of the trunk caving, the faux leather on the passenger door panel coming off, rear view mirror looks weird, same for the radio,etc. The drivetrain has had zero issues after 125000 so I’m happy but all the little stuff seems to be typical of all Fords.
My F150 has had a few minor hiccups but overall a very good vehicle.

Tesla quality is really crappy.

Not sure how feel about a “Mustang” CUV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I kinda like it because it is ridiculous. It is the exact vehicle for a tech sector dork like me to join the larger Alabamian full-size luxury truck culture. F-150 Raptor is a way to announce you're a douche. Tesla Cybertruck is for announcing you're a douche but also write software for a living.

Seriously though, I gotta hand it to them for going with some off-the-wall brutalist design but I get the feeling that this prototype gets "softened" quite a bit before it goes to production. No windshield wipers. No sideview mirrors. I'm not sure several aspects with the front and back lighting is strictly street legal. Of course, the US is in dire need of a safety regulation and requirements overhaul. Europe can already use sideview camera systems yet that is not allowed as a primary visibility system in the United States. There are several weird laws about brake lights that hinder vehicle designs or otherwise lead to minor redesigns or tack-ons to be street legal in the US. I'm not an anti-regulation guy but other than windshield wipers, I don't know why that truck couldn't basically be released as-is. In Europe, it basically could be.

Anyway, barring some changes to US regulations, the vehicle is going to have several significant design changes and I imagine with that in mind we can probably expect some easing off the aggressively futurist cyberpunk look.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is one of the all-time instances of marketing claims that immediately got debunked. The thing that makes it hilarious is that no one expects typical automative glass to take a ball bearing tossed at it until you start talking about your glass like it is the transparent aluminum from the Star Trek series. In fact, it is relatively impressive that the glass wasn't punctured completely by the ball bearing but that wasn't their claim.

Furthermore I don't know if you want unbreakable glass without some sort of system that assures your head doesn't come in contact with it at high velocity. I'd rather the glass buckle a bit in that scenario.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.