Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix recap

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Starting positions: Pole: Leclerc P2: Verstappen P3: Sainz

Final result: P1: Verstappen P2: My guy Perez P3: Russell

Definitely an interesting race, with more overtaking than was expected from the Barcelona track.

Observations: 1. Another tough week for Ferrari. Leclerc overcame a spin in qualifying to take pole at the last second, and had a comfortable lead in the race while Verstappen was struggling with DRS issues and couldn't get past Russell. Instead of cruising to an easy win, his power unit failed almost halfway through the race and his car retired. Sainz got spun by a crosswind but managed to take P4 when Hamilton had to lift and coast to avoid overheating near the end of the race.

2. Red Bull got the 1-2 finish and fastest lap, but not without some controversy. Verstappen won despite an early spinout and DRS problems. Perez had a clean race and no DRS issues but was issued team orders to give up the lead to Verstappen when the team switched strategies to put Max on fresher tires. Earlier when Checo had fresher tires and wanted to get by Max to overtake Russell, the team refused him. My man Checo was the epitome of grace after the race, but he was clearly unhappy with his treatment by the team ("Very unfair, but OK" was his radio call when the team orders came through). Horner said the heat was the reason they weren't allowed to race each other for the lead, but team history suggests Max is their fair-haired boy. My 2 cents? Team orders stink - Max might well have won anyway, but Perez deserved a chance to compete for the win.

3. Bad news for Hamilton haters: Mercedes seem to have solved a lot of the problems with the car, with Russell taking a podium place and Hamilton finishing P5 despite early contact with Magnussen that sent him toward the back of the field and had him considering retiring the car. He could have had P4 but a cooling issue forced him to slow down and give P4 back to Sainz.

4. Alonso's performance in this race went under the radar. From last spot on the grid due to a power unit change, he finished in the points at P9.

Current standings (Red bull now lead both championships)

Constructors: Red Bull: 195 pts; Ferrari: 169 points; Mercedes: 120 points
Drivers: Verstappen: 110 pts; Leclerc: 104 pts; My guy Perez: 85 pts

Next up: The Monaco Parade Grand Prix next weekend

Last edited:
Reactions: OakMtn4Bama

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.