BREAKING Freeze it is - Auburn names Hugh Freeze head coach

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So there`s a certain hand wringing component of the fambly that`s upset with this hire. Let`s see their tune after Hugh wins a few ball games.
I know you didn't ask that in question form, but we all know the answer:

"He may be a sleezeball, but he's our sleezeball!"

Reactions: russtang

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll say what everybody already knows...Hugh Sleeze has 1 to 2 years to do what he was hired to do.

He can go 7-5/8-4 in the next couple of years (which is a Barner historical average) as long as one of those wins is against Bama. Shoot, he could probably go 4-6 as long as he beat Bama.

If he put up a couple of 10 win seasons (Auburn hasn't done this since 88-89) but lost to Bama he might get a 3rd season to try. Might!

So Auburn is gambling that Sleeze can beat Bama quickly and if he doesn't look for a couple of "news stories" about burner phones and a quick change again.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So didn’t we see that Auburn University was looking to hire a Title IX Investigator? Wonder if that opening had anything to do with University’s “lack of response? In other words, “I don’t like where this is gong. People are gong to start asking questions. Time to take a powder…” I admit this is pure conjecture on my part, but what Archibald reports, the hiring of Freeze and needing a Title IX Investigator seem strangely coincidental.

The paper reported that it tried multiple times to question Mike Clardy, Auburn’s assistant vice president for communications, about the data. It tried two other communications officials. It tried Auburn President Chris Roberts, Title IX coordinator Kelley Taylor, vice presidents Kelli Shomaker and John Morris, and got diddly squat.

And the silence was loud.”

My point is this. Without question the hiring of Freeze will bring scrutiny to the University, especially in relation to how it has been handling sexual assault reports on campus. If I’m an investigator, and I'm aware how the university has dodged these information requests, the “heat in the kitchen” might have been warming to the point of saying goodbye. And we know that Freeze had been on the Auburn radar well before they finally canned Harsin.

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Regarding this issue--I worked on an AU Title IX case lastt year right during the height of the protests. I think the numbers are higher because Auburn has a clause in their Title IX program that extends their jurisdiction to off campus housing. Title IX gives universities the ability to give the federal law greater reach, they just can't do anything less than what the Fed Law says. Title IX in its basic form only covers on-campus issues which can greatly skew the numbers. The employees in the Title IX office are very serious about keeping these cases confidential to protect victims. I am not trying to take up for Auburn, just pointing out my experience and my thoughts on this.

Another interesting tidbit on Title IX in general, there is no requirement for a victim to have any sort of representation legally or otherwise and at some schools, it is never even suggested. Auburn encourages victims to seek out an advocate (not their parents) to help them through the process. I just happened to be an attorney and advocate at the same time. Consequently, alleged perpetrators are encouraged to hire legal counsel.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Look at the very first thing listed at "most prominent response" to this column. If that doesn't show you the level of obsession that Aubies have for all things Bama, then nothing does.

AL.com's comment sections are the internet equivalent of raw sewage.

Others have also expressed concern about the hire:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Regarding this issue--I worked on an AU Title IX case lastt year right during the height of the protests. I think the numbers are higher because Auburn has a clause in their Title IX program that extends their jurisdiction to off campus housing. Title IX gives universities the ability to give the federal law greater reach, they just can't do anything less than what the Fed Law says. Title IX in its basic form only covers on-campus issues which can greatly skew the numbers. The employees in the Title IX office are very serious about keeping these cases confidential to protect victims. I am not trying to take up for Auburn, just pointing out my experience and my thoughts on this.

Another interesting tidbit on Title IX in general, there is no requirement for a victim to have any sort of representation legally or otherwise and at some schools, it is never even suggested. Auburn encourages victims to seek out an advocate (not their parents) to help them through the process. I just happened to be an attorney and advocate at the same time. Consequently, alleged perpetrators are encouraged to hire legal counsel.
Thank you, Belle.

Question: While understanding the need to protect privacy and confidentiality of individual victims, what would prevent the university from at least providing the data in terms of numbers of cases and outcomes?

bamaclimber

3rd Team
Nov 28, 2016
I wonder if the rest of the SEC didn't dodge a bullet by Auburn deciding not to hire Williams. The more I read about the culture change at Auburn over the month of November, the more impressed I am. With some more maturity and experience, he may end up being a great coach somewhere. Kinda wish Bama would go after him. I'd love to see a better ground game out of the Tide moving forward.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.