From ESPN, a second pro day for Mac...

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Did they forget to mention the supermodel girlfriend or did I miss that?
Yeah, what a list. Trevor got married last weekend in South Carolina. One of the football sites on Facebook had a few pictures that looked really nice from the wedding.

I think he is a good QB, but if he/Clemson had not beaten Bama for the championship, he would not be getting this much hype. He is about to get paid a lot of money though. Good for him. He seems like a nice guy with a successful future both on and off the field. I just wish he was not getting this much hype.

Reactions: The Ols

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Wow. That’s some garbage. Meanwhile the Trevor Lawrence hype train is gaining steam :sick:

Strengths:
  • Winner; carried his team to championships
  • Tremendous skill set
  • Accurate passer
  • Powerful arm
  • Can make all the throws
  • Stunning smile
  • Can fire fastballs into tight windows
  • Fabulous and rare deep-ball accuracy
  • Timing
  • Anticipates
  • Deadly as a pocket passer when given time
  • Flat stomach
  • Pocket presence; doesn't panic when first read is covered
  • Willing to push the ball downfield
  • Precision thrower
  • Field vision
  • Flowing locks
  • Throws into tight windows
  • Stands tall; steps into hits
  • Ability to work through progressions
  • Doesn’t complain at Ikea
  • Hits receivers on the run
  • Throws receivers open
  • Leads receivers for more yardage after the catch
  • Able to loft in touch passes
  • Throws a very catchable ball
  • Quick release; quality mechanics
  • Shivers timbers
  • Good decision-making
  • Avoids turnovers
  • Athleticism
  • Mobility
  • Ability to extend plays
  • Can hurt defenses on the ground
  • Speed takes defenses by surprise
  • Never forgets a birthday or anniversary
  • Can throw off platform
  • Dangerous passer on the run
  • Terrific nails
  • Good fit in any pro offense
  • Experienced
  • Has had success against good competition
  • Intelligent
  • Humble
  • Hard working
  • Sensitive yet tough
  • Upside
  • Lots of experience against top competition
  • Experience under pressure
  • Experience carrying a team, being the face of a program

Weaknesses:
  • Can lock onto his primary read
  • Long-limbed frame could be a negative in the pocket in the NFL
You forgot great hair

Reactions: seebell

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
As i said in a earlier post not saying Mac will ever be this QB but a guy named Brady has done well by not having alot of mobility, I think Mac will be fine in the right system

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It is because Burrow is more athletic/mobile than Jones. If you take away Burrow's edge in mobility they are the same quarterback. But Burrow is more mobile, which doesn't mean he's a better quarterback, just means he's more mobile.
"mobility" can be a double edge sword.

mobility can just as easily translate into not willing to stand in the pocket and make the hard throw under pressure when it's not used right and conversely, being willing to stand in the pocket and deliver the tough throw might seem to be a lack of mobility when it's actually a QB making a choice.

that said, Mac is likely more athletic than Burrow based on 40 times and the vertical Mac posted at his pro day...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The athleticism and escapability.

The thing that annoys me though is that I see people discrediting Mac because of his weapons while ignoring the weapons Burrow had in 2019.
I can understand that, but, when Mac needed too he escaped the pocket when plays broke down & turned it in a positive play..

Staying in the pocket & letting plays develop was Mac's strong suit..He would go through his progressions just like he was coached too do despite what the scouts says..He did that at a Pro level..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
"mobility" can be a double edge sword.

mobility can just as easily translate into not willing to stand in the pocket and make the hard throw under pressure when it's not used right and conversely, being willing to stand in the pocket and deliver the tough throw might seem to be a lack of mobility when it's actually a QB making a choice.

that said, Mac is likely more athletic than Burrow based on 40 times and the vertical Mac posted at his pro day...
That's all well and good but we're not talking about the downsides of mobility. The reason Mac Jones isn't being compared to Joe Burrow and the reason Burrow didn't get the same criticism Jones is getting is that the NFL community believes Burrow is more mobile. I know that's true because I've heard it explicitly said on multiple draft shows on ESPN and NFL Network. You may not agree with it, but that doesn't change the fact that is what the NFL "folks" say and believe.

Reactions: Con

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That's all well and good but we're not talking about the downsides of mobility. The reason Mac Jones isn't being compared to Joe Burrow and the reason Burrow didn't get the same criticism Jones is getting is that the NFL community believes Burrow is more mobile. I know that's true because I've heard it explicitly said on multiple draft shows on ESPN and NFL Network. You may not agree with it, but that doesn't change the fact that is what the NFL "folks" say and believe.
The key word is "folks". Some of the talking head experts have some inside info with people inside the team's organization but most are spewing their opinion. I'm sure there are some organizations that feel that way but we really don't know how many. It will be interesting to see where Mac goes and to see how his career compares to Burrow when it is all said and done.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
And yet he still got his knee blown up and spent half the year sidelined.

Yes, it can and does happen to all different styles of QB. Yes his was still likely the product of a weak O-line. Yet it still happened. Mobility did not save him.

My point is that mobility is a vastly overrated metric for great QB play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Yes, it can and does happen to all different styles of QB. Yes his was still likely the product of a weak O-line. Yet it still happened. Mobility did not save him.

Oh, I get it. You're preaching to the choir about this "mobility" obsession the NFL currently has. I think Mac manipulates the pocket so well he doesn't need to tuck and run like a lot of QB's do. He reminds me of a Brady and Marino with how he makes subtle side steps, works up and back in the pocket to create time for him to throw, and space to work with.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Oh, I get it. You're preaching to the choir about this "mobility" obsession the NFL currently has. I think Mac manipulates the pocket so well he doesn't need to tuck and run like a lot of QB's do. He reminds me of a Brady and Marino with how he makes subtle side steps, works up and back in the pocket to create time for him to throw, and space to work with.
Yup..John Elway had that ability to sidestep a defender making them look silly in the process..

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

I agree, mobility is not leading to championships so far, since 2010, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, and Aaron Rodgers are the only “mobile” QBs to win a Super Bowl.

The other QBs?

Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Tom Brady 4x
Peyton Manning
Nick Foles

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
One thing to remember about all of the negative press on Mac. He is not a flashy QB at all, like the other leaders, just steady and good. All of the media types have a lot of words invested in how mediocre he is. IF he gets selected highly, it hurts their credibility and, quite possibly their bottom line. A few drafts back, Kiper almost struck out on the first round. He sat there on camera and pouted. And pouted, criticizing the choices of the GMs, which didn't resemble his. The fans read and believe this stuff. Ten years ago, Mac would have been a media darling, with his stats, accuracy and unflabbability. Now, QBs have to be able to scamper around like waterbugs, no matter how much they accomplish. I haven't watched a bunch of Fields' games, but what I saw was a QB who had to run if his first read didn't work out.
Excellent points. I have even heard more than one analyst saying their analytics have Kellen Mond as a safer pick at the pro level. That almost cost me a tv screen. I had to do breathing exercises to settle down.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
The one I find the most difficult to judge is Staubach because if he was under Walsh instead of Landry and didn’t have to go to Vietnam you wonder if he was the 1st Montana.

Rodgers I think is one of the more talented quarterbacks in history but he has a history of choking.
He has a history of incredibly stupid staff moves by the GM and Packers organization. I don’t blame him for being entirely ticked and indifferent about his time remaining in GB.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
The athleticism and escapability.

The thing that annoys me though is that I see people discrediting Mac because of his weapons while ignoring the weapons Burrow had in 2019.
This is my BIGGEST COMPLAINT too. The only reason why he was special was because of all the talent around him, the best OL, and he’s only done it for ONE year. This EXACT thing was true for Burrow. He proved that one can indeed get better and better and then the big light switches on and they become a totally different animal from where they started. I’ve watched a ton of football games and followed lots of QBs as they progressed from FR year to pro levels and Mac belongs. He is going to be just fine at the next level especially if he gets in the right system. He played at an elite level and made elite throws all year. He, in my opinion, was the reason Devonta had the chance to win the Heisman.

Reactions: RammerJammer15

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Maybe a little off topic but I have to say the way social media just goes off on someone when they have an axe to grind makes me uncomfortable. Especially with 18-22 year olds football players. I have seen people on Twitter bring up Mac Jones dui when he was a freshman in 2017 (because we all know 18-19 year olds always make the best decisions) all so they can hype up Justin fields or whoever they want drafted higher. Not only that I have seen people on Twitter bold face lie and say he has 2 dui’s. And these are grown adults in there 30’s, 40’s, 50’s. It’s creepy and weird. It’s not surprising to me but it’s really sad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.