From ESPN, a second pro day for Mac...

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Because you compared him to 2 guys that only have high stats and not much else to show for those high stats.
So what? It's not there fault that their organizations did not consistently put good teams around them. When they are healthy and given talent to work with, they produce. I am in no way insulting Mac by comparing him to good QB's and Ryan and Stafford in their primes were/still are good QBs.

Reactions: TiderJack

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So what? It's not there fault that their organizations did not consistently put good teams around them. When they are healthy and given talent to work with, they produce. I am in no way insulting Mac by comparing him to good QB's and Ryan and Stafford in their primes were/still are good QBs.
Well you compared Mac to them and the fact is that has been their careers. Lots of stats with no substance.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Why do people assuming I am insulting Mac when I am comparing him to Stafford/Ryan? Both of those guys had really good careers and if you'd ask Mac he would happy to have that type of careers. It's not Stafford/Ryan fault they got stuck in Detroit and ATL for a majority of their careers.
Not sure on Stafford, but Ryan's been a massive disappointment. He's had a great core of receivers and while he puts up some numbers, when the pressure is on and he's got to make a play or pass, he doesn't get it done more often than not.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The 49ers gave up a ton to move to 3. So, is Mac worth 3 first round picks ?

He might be. Feels like a reach for a one year starter. But it was one Helluva season :)

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I couldn't care less about Matt Ryan one way or the other, but if Mac goes on to have a career similar to Ryan's, I'm not sure anyone would have a lot to complain about (certainly not Mac). Ryan is going to walk away having made more than $100 million dollars and his career stats are currently as follows:

Passing attempts:
Passing completions:
Percentage:
TDINT:
347–158
Passing yards:
Rushing touchdowns:

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
That goes without saying. The onyl thing a player can control is his own play. It was Ryan's fault that the Falcons blew a 25 point lead in the SB, nor is it Stafford's fault the Lions are an incompetent franchise.
Ryan had a lot to do with the Falcons not scoring at all after early in the 3rd quarter - a whole lot...

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just read an article in "The Athletic," where one more armchair expert "analyzed" Mac's passing. His conclusion - Mac had a "below-average" arm, which he compensated for with good mechanics and intelligence. Of course I thought of several throws like the rifle shot to the back of the EZ, and others. OTOH, I've probably seen every single pass Mac has thrown in a game, just like most fans. I wonder how many he "analyzed?" I least I could rate it "meh"... :)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just read an article in "The Athletic," where one more armchair expert "analyzed" Mac's passing. His conclusion - Mac had a "below-average" arm, which he compensated for with good mechanics and intelligence. Of course I thought of several throws like the rifle shot to the back of the EZ, and others. OTOH, I've probably seen every single pass Mac has thrown in a game, just like most fans. I wonder how many he "analyzed?" I least I could rate it "meh"... :)
These same “experts” picked Chad Pennington, Gio Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, and Spergon Wynn over the next guy in the sequence because the “experts” said that he had a below average arm, didn’t look good in the uniform, and was a waste of a pick.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Not sure on Stafford, but Ryan's been a massive disappointment. He's had a great core of receivers and while he puts up some numbers, when the pressure is on and he's got to make a play or pass, he doesn't get it done more often than not.
Ryan has been fine. Worth a #1 pick. He played an amazing game in the Super Bowl but the defense, run game, and coaches had garbage games. He played more than well enough to win and much better than a lot of other players that have won Super Bowls. He's not Dan Marino, but he's a very good QB who will be remembered more for what the people around him didn't do than what he's done in his career. He's got the third highest QB rating in the playoffs in NFL history.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
I watched it - he did great. He had 2 passes that were overthrown on long passes, and one other questionable pass, but he looked like Mac Jones out there. His passes at the goal line were perfect.
Seems like any and almost every opportunity some media people and twitterheads and online or couch warriors get to take a shot at us in any capacity apparently warrants their analysis and response.

These are probably a lot of the same people that said our season was over and we were done when waddle got hurt last year. Everyone looks at the talent we have but I will take my chances with mac given his resume and the talent he played against.

Glass half full or half empty your choice but regardless when you are at the top everyone is going to take their shots. I like being on top.

Reactions: B1GTide

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Yes I realized the being on top part was going to open the door...see did it again...been trying to cut down on my characters to help with long posts lol... treating it kind of like the old days of texting where you are charged by the character lol only older board members will get that.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Ryan had a lot to do with the Falcons not scoring at all after early in the 3rd quarter - a whole lot...
But he had a lot to do with them scoring 27 pts in the first 3 qtrs. When you are up 27-3 at half game plans/mentality change. Ryan (Stafford) has had a good career and just because he does not have a ring does not diminish his individual achievements.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Seems like any and almost every opportunity some media people and twitterheads and online or couch warriors get to take a shot at us in any capacity apparently warrants their analysis and response.
Remember when they said "All Bama RB's are busts"? Pepperidge Farms remembers.......and so do Mark Ingram and Derrick Henry.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
But he had a lot to do with them scoring 27 pts in the first 3 qtrs. When you are up 27-3 at half game plans/mentality change.
He scored 21 points not 28. 7 of those points were off a pick six. But he also had a horrid second half. Basically Brady and Ryan flip flopped at who had a great half.
He played an amazing game in the Super Bowl but the defense, run game, and coaches had garbage games. He played more than well enough to win and much better than a lot of other players that have won Super Bowls.
1) Ryan absolutely sucked the 2nd half of the game. Yes bring your stats and I’ll show you better stats.

2) it’s kinda hard not to remember that the Falcons recovered an onside kick and drove down in FG range. Ryan’s mismanagement directly costed them both times

3) it’s also kinda hard to forget that he had Julio Jones who couldn’t be covered.

• Thank You
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.