GAMES ON TV GAMES ON TV | Week 9 ( 10/29-10/31/2020 )

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know it really doesn’t matter now since the inclusion of Nebraska and New Jersey, but wasn’t the 10 in Big 10 something else than number of teams at one point.
The history of the name makes sense. Before the conference brand had any value at all, the conference name changed many times. It even went back and forth between the Big 9 and the Big 10 a few times as teams added or dropped. But the conference had 10 teams for a long period of time before adding PSU, and during that period it incorporated the name Big Ten, registered all of the trademarks, etc.

It was decided when PSU was added not to mess with the now well established brand, but to change the logo in a subtle way to include PSU - Note the number 11 in the logo below:

When the conference decided to add more teams it became clear that they needed something different, but they still did not want to abandon the Big Ten brand. Not only was the brand very valuable, but the TV network used the same brand. So they settled on the B1G logo.

The Big Ten became a brand many decades ago and is no longer simply a representative count of member schools. Criticizing the B1G for its brand would be like criticizing the SEC for its brand. After all, neither Mizzou not aTm are in the Southeast.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know the justification and all the reasons stated by the Big 11. I'm still gonna make fun.
🤷‍♂️

I don't care about the conference. After what just happened this off season, I more than ever would like to see OSU walk away. I just wanted the board to understand why they kept the name.

They kept the name for the same reason that the SEC kept its name when they expanded outside of the Southeast - because of the value of the brand.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
🤷‍♂️

I don't care about the conference. After what just happened this off season, I more than ever would like to see OSU walk away. I just wanted the board to understand why they kept the name.

They kept the name for the same reason that the SEC kept its name when they expanded outside of the Southeast - because of the value of the brand.
Honestly I wish Bama would walk away from the SEC.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Honestly I wish Bama would walk away from the SEC.

How's this for a superconference where the teams only play each other (in no particular order other than #1):

1. Alabama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Texas
  4. Auburn
  5. Tennessee
  6. LSU
  7. Penn St.
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Georgia
  10. Florida
  11. Michigan
  12. Notre Dame
  13. Miami
  14. FSU
  15. Texas A&M
  16. Nebraska
Figure out how to divide them up maybe into 4 zones. You play everybody in your zone every year (3 games) plus have 2 permanent games in the other 3 (6 games) plus rotate one team from each of the other 3 every year (3 games)

voila. You've got interesting matchups EVERY week. Probably could charge $200/ticket minimum for every game. You've got at least 13 of the 15 highest grossing football programs. You don't have to worry about travel to the west coast - ever (which probably would hurt recruiting if you don't at least play west coast teams occasionally). And you don't have to put up with games you don't care about with wannabe's.

Great for the fans. (Probably not so great for developing young players.) I could take/leave the bottom 4 and replace them with others but I think it works decently well from a fan interest, tv-interest standpoint. Revenues would be HUGE. Leave the NCAA across all sports and form this superconf and forget about everybody else. Non-football sports would suffer because the best in other sports are not in there but the teams above should have the revenues to bring other sports up to par).

It's not ever going to happen anyway, just exercising my brain a bit this morning.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
🤷‍♂️

Yup, Missouri and TA&M certainly aren't in the south east.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How's this for a superconference where the teams only play each other (in no particular order other than #1):

1. Alabama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Texas
  4. Auburn
  5. Tennessee
  6. LSU
  7. Penn St.
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Georgia
  10. Florida
  11. Michigan
  12. Notre Dame
  13. Miami
  14. FSU
  15. Texas A&M
  16. Nebraska
Figure out how to divide them up maybe into 4 zones. You play everybody in your zone every year (3 games) plus have 2 permanent games in the other 3 (6 games) plus rotate one team from each of the other 3 every year (3 games)

voila. You've got interesting matchups EVERY week. Probably could charge $200/ticket minimum for every game. You've got at least 13 of the 15 highest grossing football programs. You don't have to worry about travel to the west coast - ever (which probably would hurt recruiting if you don't at least play west coast teams occasionally). And you don't have to put up with games you don't care about with wannabe's.

Great for the fans. (Probably not so great for developing young players.) I could take/leave the bottom 4 and replace them with others but I think it works decently well from a fan interest, tv-interest standpoint. Revenues would be HUGE. Leave the NCAA across all sports and form this superconf and forget about everybody else. Non-football sports would suffer because the best in other sports are not in there but the teams above should have the revenues to bring other sports up to par).

It's not ever going to happen anyway, just exercising my brain a bit this morning.
I hate Nebraska too much so no. Lol

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019

1. Alabama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Texas
  4. Auburn
  5. Tennessee
  6. LSU
  7. Penn St.
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Georgia
  10. Florida
  11. Michigan
  12. Notre Dame
  13. Miami
  14. FSU
  15. Texas A&M
  16. Nebraska

clemson??? or does the winner of the super conference just play them every year for the national championship?

• Haha
  • Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.