Gems on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video (Prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Tom Selleck movie from 1984 called Runaway on Amazon Prime, tidbit from IMDB:

The film accurately predicts domestic robots, video mail, social media, the Internet, voice-activated computers, biometric security (retinal identification), camera drones, tablet PCs, wireless headsets, and that police officers would use semi-automatic pistols as sidearms (in 1984, most police officers used revolvers).

Reactions: Bazza

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
My uncle has traveled west often and said the house that was the White residence is off limits because people kept throwing pizzas on the roof.

But funny thing is that I turned down orders to Kirkland (NM) to go to Offutt instead (NE).
Yeah, they had to put a sign up in the yard to tell people to respect their privacy - pizzas, people trespassing, etc.

Reactions: 81usaf92

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Tom Selleck movie from 1984 called Runaway on Amazon Prime, tidbit from IMDB:

The film accurately predicts domestic robots, video mail, social media, the Internet, voice-activated computers, biometric security (retinal identification), camera drones, tablet PCs, wireless headsets, and that police officers would use semi-automatic pistols as sidearms (in 1984, most police officers used revolvers).
Good movie--bad guy is played by Gene Simmons of Kiss.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
In retirement and now in recovery from back surgery, etc., I am watching more tv and movies than ever. I need some recommendations for "spy" and "drama" series that are classy and full of intrique, twists, etc. I've watched most if not all of the usual suspects...I am not one who likes just blow em up, scream obscenities and see how much gore you can put out there.
What have you found that grabbed your interest and made you wish it would go on and on?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Watched Without Remorse on Amazon. It was just ok. Nothing from the book except a couple of character names. Appears to set up a Rainbow Six sequel.
Im more of a John Clark fan than a Jack Ryan fan in terms of Clancy material. The casting of Jordan didn’t bother me as much as the overall adaptation of the novel. The book was far superior and it would’ve been better if they actually tried to adapt the book instead just using the title and use just the main theme of the book. But I have a feeling that they wanted Jordan or Foxx (who they originally cast as Clark) and didn’t want to use the revenge on the drug dealer plot from the book for political reasons . Though I would argue that the film loses what soul the book had by making it an action movie.

It’s okay if you just wanna an action movie, but there is so much missed potential. Especially when you consider that the Jack Ryan series is pretty good. This was more of a bad Cold War movie that thought it was smarter than it actually was. 5/10

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The one with Tootsie was fantastic. It made me want to go on a road trip.
I think that was the first one I watched. The show production is really good - great shots, great music. And the story telling is uniquely good for this type of show - I really enjoy the focus being on the chef and what makes them tick rather the dishes.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I think that was the first one I watched. The show production is really good - great shots, great music. And the story telling is uniquely good for this type of show - I really enjoy the focus being on the chef and what makes them tick rather the dishes.
I agree. I need to try out Rodney Scott's. There is one in B'ham.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I just started watching Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime. Its a sci-fi anthology series (Black Mirror, Twilight Zone). Very good so far but as an anthology series there is sure to be a clunker or two.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Invincible and The Boys are addicting. In the case of Invincible being so good, I've forgiven Robert Kirkman for TWD turning to doggy doo doo.

I was a big fan of the comic series, so I did not know how the show would fair but mmmmm they nailed it. Neither show are for kids but they are soooooooooooo good.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In retirement and now in recovery from back surgery, etc., I am watching more tv and movies than ever. I need some recommendations for "spy" and "drama" series that are classy and full of intrique, twists, etc. I've watched most if not all of the usual suspects...I am not one who likes just blow em up, scream obscenities and see how much gore you can put out there.
What have you found that grabbed your interest and made you wish it would go on and on?
Both of these have been out awhile, so you may have already seen them, but Broadchurch and Shetland are both excellent shows.

Also, Babylon Berlin has a detective aspect to it, and is an outstanding take on politics in the Weimar Republic — Communists, a fledgling Nazi party, the Weimars, and even a faction wanting to restore the Kaiser — it’s fascinating.

And Liv Lisa Fries (sp?) is easy on the eyes. Not for kids, though….some nudity and a bit of sex, though not graphic.

Late Add — Just checked, and both Shetland and Babylon Berlin are shooting new seasons after shutting down production in 2020 due to covid. Shetland is even shooting two new seasons back to back.

Broadchurch is a fine series, but stopped production in 2017. Still a great watch. You’ll never hear the surname Miller the same again.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Both of these have been out awhile, so you may have already seen them, but Broadchurch and Shetland are both excellent shows.

Also, Babylon Berlin has a detective aspect to it, and is an outstanding take on politics in the Weimar Republic — Communists, a fledgling Nazi party, the Weimars, and even a faction wanting to restore the Kaiser — it’s fascinating.

And Liv Lisa Fries (sp?) is easy on the eyes. Not for kids, though….some nudity and a bit of sex, though not graphic.

Late Add — Just checked, and both Shetland and Babylon Berlin are shooting new seasons after shutting down production in 2020 due to covid. Shetland is even shooting two new seasons back to back.

Broadchurch is a fine series, but stopped production in 2017. Still a great watch. You’ll never hear the surname Miller the same again.
I've seen all of these..but am excited about Shetland adding a new season. Broadchurch was good, but just so hard to watch with the subject matter...I'm getting soft in my old age.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

I'll echo the recommendation for Broadchurh. Great show, and it's hard to go wrong with David Tennant.

My favorite Doctor, ever. Which, is also another great one to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.