Gene Chizik to coach Birmingham USFL team.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
this league will succeed, it has a couple of advantages. Cost are low. Starting in one city will will help with operational cost until the league gets established. It has a TV partner. Fox sports owns the league and will televise half the schedule. NBC sports will televise the other half. the biggest advantage is the rise of sports betting. the NFL is the #1 sport in the USA and it’s not even close. CFB is actually #2 in terms of viewership on TV . So football popularity is there. And since the league is marketed as a sports betting opportunity, it will catch on. JMO.
But the spring offers up March madness. Along with NBA and then Baseball.

3 years tops.
If people just wanted to bet football and that was the only determining factor, the lingerie league and arena football would still be popping

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Chizik was wise to take the course that he did instead of into this league. MY take on the resurrected USFL is this——This is ultimately a business venture intended to turn a profit, and for it to be successful you have to provide a product that customers demand and want. THAT’S the part I don’t see—there is no outcry for pro spring football. The bubble concept is fascinating but unsustainable in the long term. Customers paying a premium for seats is what ultimately drives the business model. This will fail just like all of the others have. No way Fox continues to underwrite it if continues to just suck up money with no acceptable level of ROI.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Chizik was wise to take the course that he did instead of into this league. MY take on the resurrected USFL is this——This is ultimately a business venture intended to turn a profit, and for it to be successful you have to provide a product that customers demand and want. THAT’S the part I don’t see—there is no outcry for pro spring football. The bubble concept is fascinating but unsustainable in the long term. Customers paying a premium for seats is what ultimately drives the business model. This will fail just like all of the others have. No way Fox continues to underwrite it if continues to just suck up money with no acceptable level of ROI.
The bubble is for the first season. After that most teams will go to their home cities with perhaps a couple waiting another year. The XFL relaunches in 2023. I think out of necessity they will merge the following year.

Reactions: deliveryman35

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
For the first time since Super Bowl I, two major networks (Fox and NBC) will broadcast a football game simultaneously April 16. This will be no small event for Birmingham.

Reactions: dtgreg

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I do believe spring football can work. It's a short season at a time of year there isn't much else going on. The bubble concept the first year is smart to keep costs down. Obviously with that move the crowd size is not so much a factor as this is made for TV. As for the TV ratings the one thing the original USFL had was stars. The leagues they have had since were filled with players who never had a career. the last pro team Birmingham had was QB'd by some guy who learned it on youtube. Compare that to the original Stallions who were QB'd by Cliff Stoudt who was the #2 to Bradshaw in Pittsburg. He was on the back side of his career and he just wanted a shot to play before he hung up his cleats. These are the guys you're going to want to target. Guys with NFL experience who are either trying to get back in the league or who literally just want one last shot at the game before they go live a boring life like the rest of us. Plus the original USFL had a territorial draft so all the local players from Alabama and Auburn Birmingham had first choice. I think the main one that we didn't get was Walter Lewis who was the starter for Memphis, and that was only because of the afore mentioned Stoudt. The other thing the original USFL had was some dam fine coaches. Rollie Dotch, Steve Spurrier, Jim Mora "Playoffs!", Lindy Infante, Frank Kush, Mouse Davis, Red Miller, June Jones, Marv Levy. There was a lot of uniqueness to this bunch and they all had different ideas of how to get it done and the result was very interesting.

So far It remains to be seen if the new iteration of the USFL can pull enough coaching and player talent without having to resort to overpayment. But if they can find the right balance and the NFL sees them as a farm system that they clearly need, instead of an enemy that must be crushed, I think the door is open for survival.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If you’re any kind of entity in Birmingham that agrees to do business with this league, either only agree to accept cash payment at time of sale or don’t complain of getting stiffed when this all goes up in flames.

Reactions: dtgreg

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.