General BLM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Figured we should have a thread about the overall movement to recognize the systemic racism that continues to exist even today - this isn't meant to replace the individual threads, but rather meant to be a place where more general thoughts can be placed that aren't incident specific or don't garner the attention that the 'bigger' (*sigh) crimes do.

If this thread sinks, so be it - butI find myself struggling to place some posts in the existing threads. This is a more general thread for this discussion.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Was considering making a thread like this. Good call.

Today I was discussing events with a friend. We seemed to agree that the video of George Floyd being murdered is similar in impact to Emmett Till's open casket in the way it shocked the conscience of many people who were otherwise apathetic and steeling the resolve of black people in the US. I could be wrong about that, but it seems one of those seminal moments.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This has always been a problem, but was only really reported when it happened in big cities. The advent of the cell phone camera combined with social media platforms that make it easy for your average Joe to share those pictures and videos worldwide in seconds - even live as they happen - has really made it clear to every American that this is happening everywhere. It isn't just a problem in some other town - it is a problem in MY town. It doesn't just impact people who live "over there" - it impacts my friends and neighbors.

Right now, even in the face of this movement bigots are acting out all over America. They are as proud of their bigotry as parents are proud of their children. We can't outlaw bigotry, but we need to openly shun these people wherever they are. We need them to understand that their bigotry will come at a price. No friends, no family, no place to hide.

If you have a friend who is a bigot, call them out. First do it one on one, but if they continue to act that way then call them out when they exhibit the behavior, right in front of everyone who witnessed it. Take a stand, openly, against bigotry. That is the only way it ends - when the price for the behavior is too high to pay.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For those interested, here is a very interesting piece from one year ago. The page comes with a warning about content, but I think that it largely meets TideFans requirements. If the mods disagree, feel free to remove the link:

Inside hate groups on Facebook, police officers trade racist memes, conspiracy theories and Islamophobia

Hundreds of active-duty and retired law enforcement officers from across the United States are members of Confederate, anti-Islam, misogynistic or anti-government militia groups on Facebook, a Reveal investigation has found.

These cops have worked at every level of American law enforcement, from tiny, rural sheriff’s departments to the largest agencies in the country, such as the Los Angeles and New York police departments. They work in jails and schools and airports, on boats and trains and in patrol cars. And, Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting discovered, they also read and contribute to groups such as “White Lives Matter” and “DEATH TO ISLAM UNDERCOVER.”

The groups cover a range of extremist ideologies. Some present themselves publicly as being dedicated to benign historical discussion of the Confederacy, but are replete with racism inside. Some trade in anti-Semitic and anti-immigrant memes. Some are openly Islamophobic. And almost 150 of the officers we found are involved with violent anti-government groups such as the Oath Keepers and Three Percenters.

More than 50 departments launched internal investigations after being presented with our findings, in some cases saying they would examine officers’ past conduct to see if their online activity mirrored their policing in real life. And some departments have taken action, with at least one officer being fired for violating department policies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I do not judge nor do I lecture anyone of how they should live their life. But shouldn't the #1 goal here be to survive to fight another day?

As a person who has always looked at things from a practical standpoint - what is BLM doing to stress to blacks not to resist arrest?

And please do not interpret this question as anything more than the question itself. I'm actually unaware of any campaign by anyone representing BLM to assist with this issue, so am asking in earnest.

I don't think anyone here can disagree that the side of the road is not where you want to start a fight. Especially against armed police officers.

Here's a perfect example of a situation that just happened this week. Resisting arrest which "could have" had a very bad ending - but fortunately didn't.

Salisbury woman arrested for resisting arrest, drug possession

A female deputy then began a search of Thomas and tried to retrieve a baggie hidden in her bra, however Thomas tried to pull away from the deputy and struggled against the attempt to search her. The deputy was eventually able to restrain her and pulled the baggie from her bra, which was found to contain cocaine.
Thomas was informed that she was under arrest, but she continued to try pulling away from the deputy and even tried to push back and walk away from the deputy. She was eventually taken into custody and charged with possession of cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia, obstruct and hinder, and resisting arrest, and was later released on a $2,500 unsecured bond.

• Thank You
Reactions: JTBama and BamaDMD

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
This is a good thread Brad! I think it is great that we can discuss and understand "why" there may be a need for such a movement. It will be interesting if we can stop short of turning a "discussion" into an "argument". Of course, our opinions about such matters usually depends on our experiences in everyday life. Some may be able to relate, other may not. It would be nice if we are not able to make remarks that may not drive others away from the discussion, though we may not all agree.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Sorry, if someone posts bigotry, they need to be called out. If that "drives them away", so much the better.
the blatant bigotry drives people away too.

the same people post the same crap and then play the "what, me? i'm just trying to have a reasonable discussion. " it's been going on for years.

i don't think it will drive them away. being the misunderstood victim seems like some sort of sustenance.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Then what's the point of having a discussion if everyone thinks the same? Otherwise, it's just party.
not everyone thinks the same. but a lot of us are pretty tired of the non-stop bigotry, it's been going on a long time.

if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.... ;)

ymmv, and you are free to engage and educate him on the issue. good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.