News Article: Georgia football player Devin Willock, staff member Chandler LeCroy killed in car crash

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I know things get swept under the rug all the time, but I don’t recall it involving someone’s death. All the participants were willingly involved. Still it is a tragedy. But the AJC is more about promoting the let’s get rid of football agenda than they are UG supporters these days. Notice how liberal Al.cCom is now?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Gantt is the “fixer”. He’s the Teflon man. He’s the guy that allows things to “slide” when legal issues arise.

Sadly, with this situation, two are already dead. That can’t be “fixed”. And suddenly the UGA promotional wing, the AJC, has become the southern version of The National Inquirer to Dawg Nation faithful. Comments about “no shame” and “let them rest” are the milder ones

The torches and pitchforks are out on Twitter.
1675519624551.png

Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I know things get swept under the rug all the time, but I don’t recall it involving someone’s death. All the participants were willingly involved. Still it is a tragedy. But the AJC is more about promoting the let’s get rid of football agenda than they are UG supporters these days. Notice how liberal Al.cCom is now?
until this incident, the ajc's coverage of uga has been almost completely puff pieces for at least the past two years.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
school officials wouldn’t say whether supervisors had known the vehicle had not been returned when the women’s duties ended.
The initial police report contained few details about the crash and did not mention Gantt’s presence. Nor did the report say why officers at the scene sought information about two other Georgia football players: linebackers Jamon Dumas-Johnson and Smael Mondon.
McClendon said Tuesday that he, Bowles, LeCroy and Willock had been headed to a Waffle House to meet other players. Dispatch logs suggest two other players may have been on the scene after the crash.
Before Gantt arrived, officers had already asked a dispatcher to send them background information on one player, Dumas-Johnson.

They later requested information on Mondon.
The UGA athletic department declined to make the players available for interviews.]
so why did the initial report contain few details about the crash? And how were the other players involved? After reading all that, I’m thinking they were a little buzzed , headed to Waffle House and maybe racing with the other players to get there first . Not street racing , just going fast. I know, been there . Laughing, having a good time. Then tragedy. There is a lot more to this, and we will probably never know what really happened.

Reactions: Toddrn

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
until this incident, the ajc's coverage of uga has been almost completely puff pieces for at least the past two years.
Yep, even the Anderson rape case, whom Gantt got released on $25k bond , kind of faded away

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The problem, to me, with that argument is that neither player, as far as I know of, was in the transfer portal and there wouldn't be a reason to re-recruit them into staying at Georgia. Also, wasn't the player that survived supposed to declare for the draft?
Just like in business with customers, there’s a difference between “player acquisition “ and “player retention”. For the most part, those playing and making their mark need little effort in regards to the latter; odds are a lot of effort was put into the former for them.
Depth is important, but if you’re spending time/money on malcontents who can’t get on the field because they just aren’t doing what’s required, for whatever reason, that’s a waste.
It also raises questions about just how far are they going here to keep these players “satisfied” (if that’s what they’re doing); if what I’m inferring as a possibility is, in fact, reality at many/all big schools, then there should be an immediate and monstrous backlash from the public. This should not be acceptable to anyone, no matter who does it.
It has probably been more widespread than the general public could even imagine, and has probably been going on for longer than most could comprehend.; doesn’t make it any less vile and sleazy.
Now that NIL has exploded and slung poo everywhere (Florida recruit teased with 12 mil, didn’t get it so he left and got - I heard - nothing?), I’m hoping the bandages get ripped off here and we all get to see the depth and breadth of the gangrene. As fans who all support our teams in various ways, we do have the right to know.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
The crazy thing is this stuff likely happens every day, just without the fatalities...
Sure. Get clocked doing 46 mph in a 45 mph zone, and it's very unlikely that a cop will even bother pulling you over. But let a kid run out and get hit while you're doing 46, and it can be proven, then suddenly that 1 mph becomes the difference between getting off totally free vs. Reckless Endangerment if not Involuntary Manslaughter.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Sure. Get clocked doing 46 mph in a 45 mph zone, and it's very unlikely that a cop will even bother pulling you over. But let a kid run out and get hit while you're doing 46, and it can be proven, then suddenly that 1 mph becomes the difference between getting off totally free vs. Reckless Endangerment if not Involuntary Manslaughter.
I’ve posted this story before:
Childhood friend (of some reknown by his first marriage) driving in Boston, killed a priest. By all accounts (many eyewitnesses) and blood tests, priest was stone cold drunk (IIRC .28 or .29)and stagggered/stumbled into the street and my friend couldn’t avoid him (again, eyewitnesses said priest would have gotten hit no matter who was driving). Only problem? My friend’s blood alcohol was .06. He got a year in prison for manslaughter. DA said if he hadn’t been drinking, even if he still killed the priest, charges would not have been brought.
So, yeah, sometimes it’s only one thing that makes a huge difference.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Childhood friend (of some reknown by his first marriage) driving in Boston, killed a priest. By all accounts (many eyewitnesses) and blood tests, priest was stone cold drunk (IIRC .28 or .29)and stagggered/stumbled into the street and my friend couldn’t avoid him (again, eyewitnesses said priest would have gotten hit no matter who was driving). Only problem? My friend’s blood alcohol was .06. He got a year in prison for manslaughter. DA said if he hadn’t been drinking, even if he still killed the priest, charges would not have been brought.
Interesting. I just looked it up and the legal BAC level in Massachussetts is 0.08, or at least that's what it is currently. So he wouldn't have gotten a DUI if pulled over for a breathalyzer test, but it put him on the hook somewhat for the priest's death.

Sad.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Killing a priest in Boston probably didn’t help his case.

Reactions: CoachJeff

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Carter’s presence at the moment of the crash, previously unreported, alters the narrative that Athens police officials offered publicly from the beginning. It was, officials said, simply a single-car accident, caused by LeCroy’s driving too fast.

But the police had reason to suspect almost from the moment of the crash that other cars had been at the scene, and they soon learned at least two of those vehicles were driven by Georgia football players. Seeking evidence of possible racing, officers have obtained surveillance video from city-owned cameras along the route the players took out of downtown Athens. They also obtained footage from at least one business owner. The police have declined to release these videos, saying they are evidence in an open case.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"But the police had reason to suspect almost from the moment of the crash that other cars had been at the scene, and they soon learned at least two of those vehicles were driven by Georgia football players."

No wonder it's been so quiet around this story - UGA is trying desperately to control the flow of info and suppress this one. From this report we now know there were at least FOUR vehicles at the scene...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
"But the police had reason to suspect almost from the moment of the crash that other cars had been at the scene, and they soon learned at least two of those vehicles were driven by Georgia football players."

No wonder it's been so quiet around this story - UGA is trying desperately to control the flow of info and suppress this one. From this report we now know there were at least FOUR vehicles at the scene...
not just uga, it sounds like the athens pd is trying their best to keep things under wraps as well

Carter’s presence at the moment of the crash, previously unreported, alters the narrative that Athens police officials offered publicly from the beginning. It was, officials said, simply a single-car accident, caused by LeCroy’s driving too fast.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
So 100% those ppl had been drinking at this point and left the scene because of it. No doubt now. I also don't think it is a stretch to say some sort of racing was involved either if there were 4 cars.

Reactions: Toddrn

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Interesting. I just looked it up and the legal BAC level in Massachussetts is 0.08, or at least that's what it is currently. So he wouldn't have gotten a DUI if pulled over for a breathalyzer test, but it put him on the hook somewhat for the priest's death.

Sad.
Common misconception that if you blow under the legal limit that you can’t get a DUI. An officer in and state can give you a DUI even if you blow a 0.0

the legal limit just helps provide a standard and take an officers judgement out of the equation a little more

accidentally run a red light and kill someone after using mouthwash and you will have a hard time not going to jail for a long time

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So 100% those ppl had been drinking at this point and left the scene because of it. No doubt now. I also don't think it is a stretch to say some sort of racing was involved either if there were 4 cars.
Carter denied racing and said he had not been driving fast. But he told the officer that occupants of the car that crashed were intoxicated, the documents say. Carter said he had seen the group downtown. The officer saw no sign that Carter had been drinking, however, the records say.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.