News Article: Georgia football player Devin Willock, staff member Chandler LeCroy killed in car crash

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
So you tell me:

What procedures did UGA have in place to keep her from having this car when she did?

Had this happened in the past (unauthorized use)?

How was the unauthorized use detected in the past if it happened?

Why wasn't the behavior corrected, if their was precedent?

If it had not happened before, what happened this time that broke the system?

Why was she under the impression she could have the car when she shouldn't if she thought there would be repercussions?

She was obviously "allowed" to have the car. She did have it after all.

What did UGA do to stop that from happening, if anything? Why didn't it work this time?
drinking and driving policies are illegal in university owned vehicles and any vehicle. Reckless driving is illegal in a university owned vehicle and any vehicle.

I feel confident both bama and Georgia enact employee handbooks and educational videos

A fix or solution would be gps trackers with speed monitoring on university owned vehicles

Also, alarms when vehicles are in use after houses and alarms when speeds greater than 80 mph exist.

Georgia not enacting that is honestly crazy to me. However, other schools also not Enacting that is slightly crazy to me as well

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So you tell me:

What procedures did UGA have in place to keep her from having this car when she did?

Had this happened in the past (unauthorized use)?

How was the unauthorized use detected in the past if it happened?

Why wasn't the behavior corrected, if their was precedent?

If it had not happened before, what happened this time that broke the system?

Why was she under the impression she could have the car when she shouldn't if she thought there would be repercussions?

She was obviously "allowed" to have the car. She did have it after all.

What did UGA do to stop that from happening, if anything? Why didn't it work this time?
This whole thing that uga and their fans are trying to spin that she "wasn't allowed" to have it might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. She did not hotwire and steal it, someone let her get it and drive it. They are trying desparately to pin this all on this girl and it is disgusting.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
the assumption that she was “allowed to have it” is also silly. Maybe Georgia athletic program told her to drink and drive and race it too?

im all for honest suggestions of items that could fix this, but the item that would Fix it would most likely prevent it from happening most anywhere
IMO, the first issue to examine is whether UGA is sincerely enforcing the policies they have in place. It's always possible that they allowed the actions of the driver with a wink and a nod. I.e., has this type of thing (not the wreck of course, but unauthorized use of a vehicle) been happening in the past? Court records, rental car records, etc. may reveal something, as well as the testimony of other hostesses and players.

At best for UGA is that the driver defied clear, actually enforced, instructions, either because of an over-zealous desire to help or for personal reasons such as she and the player are "involved" or have developed a strong platonic bond, etc. If this is true, IMO there is no moral (I know nothing about the legal situation) culpability for UGA, but additional shackles in the form of more intense monitoring and auto access restrictions probably need to be implemented, at least at UGA. You seem to have had a lot of recent races and speeding issues.

Hope UGA has been genuinely responsible in their behavior. It seems to still be possible but all precincts haven't reported yet. At the same time hope that the girl comes out in the best possible truthful light in view of what we think we know. Her parents are crushed, as well as the boy's parents, for similar and different reasons.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
IMO, the first issue to examine is whether UGA is sincerely enforcing the policies they have in place. It's always possible that they allowed the actions of the driver with a wink and a nod. I.e., has this type of thing (not the wreck of course, but unauthorized use of a vehicle) been happening in the past? Court records, rental car records, etc. may reveal something, as well as the testimony of other hostesses and players.

At best for UGA is that the driver defied clear, actually enforced, instructions, either because of an over-zealous desire to help or for personal reasons such as she and the player are "involved" or have developed a strong platonic bond, etc. If this is true, IMO there is no moral (I know nothing about the legal situation) culpability for UGA, but additional shackles in the form of more intense monitoring and auto access restrictions probably need to be implemented, at least at UGA. You seem to have had a lot of recent races and speeding issues.

Hope UGA has been genuinely responsible in their behavior. It seems to still be possible but all precincts haven't reported yet. At the same time hope that the girl comes out in the best possible truthful light in view of what we think we know. Her parents are crushed, as well as the boy's parents, for similar and different reasons.
honestly well worded

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Story was she was on recruiting staff; vehicle was to be used only for recruiting purposes.
Assume both are true: celebration was not a recruiting event. Players were not recruits.
So the university has no knowledge that this was happening, vehicles being misused?
I don’t buy that - player’s behavior is one thing, staff is another and if their pleas of ignorance are true….can you say, “lack of institutional control”? There, I knew you could.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Story was she was on recruiting staff; vehicle was to be used only for recruiting purposes.
Assume both are true: celebration was not a recruiting event. Players were not recruits.
So the university has no knowledge that this was happening, vehicles being misused?
I don’t buy that - player’s behavior is one thing, staff is another and if their pleas of ignorance are true….can you say, “lack of institutional control”? There, I knew you could.
This was a rented vehicle. It's conceivable that she thought the receipt would pass through unnoticed or she had an "arrangement" with whoever processes the receipt or it could be that this was with UGA's tacit approval.

OTOH, she surely has a personal vehicle, which means if she was on her own, why would she rent? But UGA insists her use was unauthorized. Things don't add up but it doesn't necessarily point in one direction.

If this was a "first of" event, how can you charge UGA with LOIC? You expect your employees to follow the rules. If there was a pattern that included this, it's different. If these were directives in word only, it's different.

Wonder what kind of cooperation Tory Bowles is providing? Some of the issues we're considering have no interest to LE. It would take a journalist or PI to discover many things. The insurance companies and personal lawyers care.

Where did LeCroy get smashed, at home, at another party or at the strip club? Do women now often frequent strip clubs or did they just pop in for a few minutes to pick up their "children" and sat down for a few? Or did they enter the club with the players?

Why did neither passenger in the back seat have their seat belts buckled?

Just too much not known at this time.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
This was a rented vehicle. It's conceivable that she thought the receipt would pass through unnoticed or she had an "arrangement" with whoever processes the receipt or it could be that this was with UGA's tacit approval.

OTOH, she surely has a personal vehicle, which means if she was on her own, why would she rent? But UGA insists her use was unauthorized. Things don't add up but it doesn't necessarily point in one direction.

If this was a "first of" event, how can you charge UGA with LOIC? You expect your employees to follow the rules. If there was a pattern that included this, it's different. If these were directives in word only, it's different.

Wonder what kind of cooperation Tory Bowles is providing? Some of the issues we're considering have no interest to LE. It would take a journalist or PI to discover many things. The insurance companies and personal lawyers care.

Where did LeCroy get smashed, at home, at another party or at the strip club? Do women now often frequent strip clubs or did they just pop in for a few minutes to pick up their "children" and sat down for a few? Or did they enter the club with the players?

People keep referring to the car being a rental. Some of the articles that have been written have said it was leased by the university not rented. If that is true it was available all the time. I would venture to guess that it was used for lots of things other than recruiting.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
People keep referring to the car being a rental. Some of the articles that have been written have said it was leased by the university not rented. If that is true it was available all the time. I would venture to guess that it was used for lots of things other than recruiting.
If it was leased by the University, and they had a policy that it was to be used for recruiting only, depending on the details, she violated the policy. All companies that lease vehicles for their employees do not allow for personal use; some do. University has seemingly stated this vehicle wasn’t for personal use, and if going to a strip club is “university business”, then read my final paragraph. If it was leased, rental car company doesn’t much care how it’s used as long as it doesn’t violate rental agreement (no off-roading, etc).
I’m not sure we’ll still be alive when all the details come out, if they ever do; if this was a simple case of a first time policy breach, we’d already know the details.
Until they do, I’m riding with “lack of institutional control” but in no way absolving all the students and staff involved of innocence because obviously, they’re not.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I think the story yet to be told is that of Tori Bowles. Did she and LeCroy unilaterally and “on their own” decide to use the vehicle that night, regardless of whether it was rented or leased? Or were they in that circumstance or situation because they were directed by someone in an official capacity with the university? In other words, “hey, some of the guys may get a little “loose” tonight. Chandler and Tori can “chaperone” after the celebration and keep things under control”?

Based on the job description/role of recruiting analysts and, based on statements by the university, Bowles and LeCroy were clearly operating outside of their defined job. And, in most cases, any relationship with student athletes (as it was that evening) would most likely be in violation of the “fraternization policy” in placed at most institutions of education.

Why haven’t we heard from Tori Bowles? Is she incapable of giving any statement due to injuries incurred that evening or has she been told by attorneys (personal or university) to remain quiet due to possible personal or university liability?

Another question: What was Gantt’s role in all of this? He reached out to his “contact” with the Athens PD BEFORE his contact (Chief Jerry Saulters) even knew the accident occurred. He informed Saulters he was “heading to the scene”. Was he on the scene early out of concern or to “mitigate the optics” as much possible? . Clearly the university is at risk here. How can LE operate the beginning of an “unbiased” investigation if you have someone that is an official of the university interjecting themselves into the investigation from the very start? This, IMO, doesn’t pass the smell test.

It is for certain that UGA is doing everything possible to distance itself from the decision making that led to the tragic consequences that night. And that may very well mean throwing LeCroy and even Bowles “under the bus” if necessary.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think the story yet to be told is that of Tori Bowles. Did she and LeCroy unilaterally and “on their own” decide to use the vehicle that night, regardless of whether it was rented or leased? Or were they in that circumstance or situation because they were directed by someone in an official capacity with the university? In other words, “hey, some of the guys may get a little “loose” tonight. Chandler and Tori can “chaperone” after the celebration and keep things under control”?

Based on the job description/role of recruiting analysts and, based on statements by the university, Bowles and LeCroy were clearly operating outside of their defined job. And, in most cases, any relationship with student athletes (as it was that evening) would most likely be in violation of the “fraternization policy” in placed at most institutions of education.

Why haven’t we heard from Tori Bowles? Is she incapable of giving any statement due to injuries incurred that evening or has she been told by attorneys (personal or university) to remain quiet due to possible personal or university liability?

Another question: What was Gantt’s role in all of this? He reached out to his “contact” with the Athens PD BEFORE his contact (Chief Jerry Saulters) even knew the accident occurred. He informed Saulters he was “heading to the scene”. Was he on the scene early out of concern or to “mitigate the optics” as much possible? . Clearly the university is at risk here. How can LE operate the beginning of an “unbiased” investigation if you have someone that is an official of the university interjecting themselves into the investigation from the very start? This, IMO, doesn’t past the smell test.

It is for certain that UGA is doing everything possible to distance itself from the decision making that led to the tragic consequences that night. And they may very well mean throwing LeCroy and even Bowles “under the bus” if necessary.
She’s talked to the cleaner is why she’s silent. Lot at stake here if you’re the young lady who throws open the closet with all the skeletons in it.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I’ll just put this out there about the “culture” at Georgia: they called him.

In the aftermath of a horrific car crash with two people dead, or in the process of dying, one car in total shambles, one damaged, utility poles snapped and a building damaged, they called him first. Not the police, paramedics, or anyone like that, they called the cleaner because they knew this wasn’t good.

How many times does that have to be hammered into your head for it to be the first thought in your mind after an event like this? Speaks volumes.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Immediately after the accident, Bowles was in intensive care with multiple serious injuries. Any word about her medical status and her ability to communicate?

Backseat car riders in Georgia don't have to wear a seatbelt?

Reactions: Tidelines

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I’ll just put this out there about the “culture” at Georgia: they called him.

In the aftermath of a horrific car crash with two people dead, or in the process of dying, one car in total shambles, one damaged, utility poles snapped and a building damaged, they called him first. Not the police, paramedics, or anyone like that, they called the cleaner because they knew this wasn’t good.

How many times does that have to be hammered into your head for it to be the first thought in your mind after an event like this? Speaks volumes.
I have only seen articles where 911 and the lawyer were called, but not the order in which it took place. Is it truly a fact that the lawyer was called before 911 was called? Or is this speculation? I’m not being a smart butt on this, I’m truly wondering

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Immediately after the accident, Bowles was in intensive care with multiple serious injuries. Any word about her medical status and her ability to communicate?

Backseat car riders in Georgia don't have to wear a seatbelt?
adults in back seat do not have to wear a seat belt in Georgia

• Wow
Reactions: seebell

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I have only seen articles where 911 and the lawyer were called, but not the order in which it took place. Is it truly a fact that the lawyer was called before 911 was called? Or is this speculation? I’m not being a smart butt on this, I’m truly wondering
Let’s just go with 911 being first, would calling the university lawyer really be your second call? Young person, death defying wreck, let’s call the university lawyer right after 911?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.