Georgia State coach says Abruun helped by questionable call from SEC referees

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I just figured out why Barners complain about officiating.

And they do. A lot.

For the rest of us, it seems absurd as no one has ever benefitted more - either more often or more consistently - from beneficial calls from the zebras. How could they ever have any reason to complain about officiating???

Then it hit me - they've been so conditioned to expect the balance of calls to go in their favor that an evenly called game feels incorrect; it feels - to them - as though they've been cheated because they didn't get the benefits they expect...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Greg Mcelroy said that the receiving groups route running was awful. I know he was not our most talented QB but he was definitely a smart QB and I will take his word on this. If all of your receivers are running bad routes then there needs to be a coaching change.
and here i thought the problem was that bo nix couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a football

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Greg Mcelroy said that the receiving groups route running was awful. I know he was not our most talented QB but he was definitely a smart QB and I will take his word on this. If all of your receivers are running bad routes then there needs to be a coaching change.
Yeah, GMac would know. But Auburn's receivers are not all true freshmen. Was this guy the receiver coach last year? I don't really know anything about Harsin's staff.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
And it is laughable that Awbarn moved up on spot in the polls after another miracle win on the plains to a very poor team.

What do you think the boogs will name this win? I mean it's their new coaches first signature come from behind, miracle win. So they have to give it some stupid name. Awbarn has names for wins.....Bama just wins championships.
That is because most of the poll voters did not see the game. They just saw the score...which is highly misleading. :rolleyes:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Yes it was a terrible call but Georgia State has no one to blame but themselves. Up 24-12 at half, after a fairly decent drive their first possession on the second half, they went very conservative. It was like they decided 24 points would be enough to win it.
It was one of those things you could just sense. They had held Auburn and received a punt deep in their territory. I told my wife “Georgia State needs a couple of first downs to get some momentum going. They can’t play “exchange punts and play defense” with Auburn”.
When they wallowed around and went three and out I once again told my wife “Auburn is either going to block this punt or get a big return...”
But it shows you what a marginal team Auburn is though. That blocked punt should have propelled them to a couple of scoring drives and putting the game away, but it didn’t.
It took that final drive, subbing in your second string quarterback and a gift call from the SEC officials to pull it out.
Bwuh?!? A bad call is a bad call.... :oops:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Would you call this targeting?

It was targeting. He lead with the helmet.

He could have simply reached out with his hands and pushed him into the ground. Arm length would have reached him sooner that his helmet.

IMO, it was a good call. He simply was not in the right place at the that time to have made a "proper" tackle. Speed of the moment, but it is what it is....:cool:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I just figured out why Barners complain about officiating.

And they do. A lot.

For the rest of us, it seems absurd as no one has ever benefitted more - either more often or more consistently - from beneficial calls from the zebras. How could they ever have any reason to complain about officiating???

Then it hit me - they've been so conditioned to expect the balance of calls to go in their favor that an evenly called game feels incorrect; it feels - to them - as though they've been cheated because they didn't get the benefits they expect...
You are so right!

Have you ever listened to one of their games on radio? OMG, Stan White is ALWAYS complaining about the officiating... :rolleyes:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Bwuh?!? A bad call is a bad call.... :oops:
Bwuh?!? How many offensive possessions did Georgia State have in the second half? Seven.
Bwuh?!? How many points did they score in the second half? Zero.
The Georgia State defensive was getting off the field and keeping the Auburn offense stifled in the second half. The Georgia State offense had plenty of opportunities to put their foot on Auburn’s throat and finish them. But they went into a shell and played not to lose.

Was it a terrible call? Without question. I prefaced my previous post with that very statement. . But you can’t leave Auburn with a single breath of hope in that game so that officiating can screw you, especially in JH stadium.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bwuh?!? How many offensive possessions did Georgia State in the second half? Seven.
The Georgia State defensive was getting off the field and keeping the Auburn offense stifled in the second half. The Georgia State offense had plenty of opportunities to put their foot on Auburn’s throat and finish them. But they went into a shell and played not to lose.
Well, it was Georgia State. It was probably the smart play for them.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
It was targeting. He lead with the helmet.

He could have simply reached out with his hands and pushed him into the ground. Arm length would have reached him sooner that his helmet.

IMO, it was a good call. He simply was not in the right place at the that time to have made a "proper" tackle. Speed of the moment, but it is what it is....:cool:

No it wasn't.

Again, even the NCAA head of officiating said the call was wrong. The runner was not a defenseless player, and Ricochet didn't lead with the crown of his helmet.

And did you seriously just suggest arm tackling? Did you even play the sport?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
That is because most of the poll voters did not see the game. They just saw the score...which is highly misleading. :rolleyes:
No it's because so many teams ahead of us lost that there really wasn't much place for us to move, not to mention the polls are still a little all over the place since we're still early in the year.

In a week with less shake-up we'd currently be unranked.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
No it wasn't.

Again, even the NCAA head of officiating said the call was wrong. The runner was not a defenseless player, and Ricochet didn't lead with the crown of his helmet.

And did you seriously just suggest arm tackling? Did you even play the sport?
Well S. Shaw used to be the SEC head of officials, so I'm not too sure he is a reliable source if he is responsible for how horrific SEC officials have become over the last 20 years.

But seriously, I thought it was too close to call.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
I have no love lost for AU but I don't think that is targeting at all. He hit mostly with his shoulder and impact caused his helmet hit the other player's helmet.
Just my$.02 worth. I have see a lot worse not get called.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Well S. Shaw used to be the SEC head of officials, so I'm not too sure he is a reliable source if he is responsible for how horrific SEC officials have become over the last 20 years.

But seriously, I thought it was too close to call.
You can read the rule for yourself too, though.

There's no interpretation in which the ball-carrier was a defenseless player there.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
You can read the rule for yourself too, though.

There's no interpretation in which the ball-carrier was a defenseless player there.
I wouldn't have called it targeting, however, there was forcible contact above the shoulders. Don't think the carrier has to be defenseless? I may be wrong, jmo.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Bwuh?!? How many offensive possessions did Georgia State have in the second half? Seven.

Was it a terrible call? Without question. I prefaced my previous post with that very statement. . But you can’t leave Auburn with a single breath of hope in that game so that officiating can screw you, especially in JH stadium.
When you play in jerdin hair dye stadium, you are playing against two different sets of stripes... :cool:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.