Georgia State coach says Abruun helped by questionable call from SEC referees

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Elliott, who is familiar with SEC officiating having been an assistant at South Carolina from 2010 to 2016, insinuated that Auburn benefitted from having SEC referees calling the game.

"They had a little bit of help on that review where the ball was incomplete," Elliott said. "It should have been put back on the 30-yard line. But you know when you play in the SEC you gotta take the hits. And they gave us a real gut punch on that call. So we appreciate that."
Georgia State coach says Auburn Tigers were helped by questionable call from SEC referees

I'm not sure what has to happen, but it seems there have been more egregiously blown calls by SEC officials this year than ever before and we're barely 1/3 of the way into the season. What is the SEC doing to address this?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Even the Auburn fans that they showed on TV obviously couldn`t believe that the catch wasn`t overturned. The commentators didn`t even say much about it prior to the review because the replay was so obvious. More JH voodoo.

Reactions: Toddrn

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not hard to find the video. A simple Google search will turn it up.

I understand how they missed the call in real time. It happened fast. But it was reviewed, and what I don’t understand is how they missed on review.

The ball is clearly on the ground, outside the control of the receiver. No way it wasn’t clear and indisputable evidence of an incompletion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The Barn has been getting those calls as long as I can remember.. It's dang sure ain't going to change now if instant replay hasn't stopped it..
Not this egregious.

And it's not just Abruun - there have been historically bad calls in games each week so far this season. I don't recall it ever being this bad.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We all remember the 2013 Iron Bowl and the ineligible man downfield / illegal block on the touchdown play that led to the play of which we will not speak.

But last year, Arkansas got hosed out of the game at JH, on a call that very definitely changed the outcome. And Kentucky got jobbed about as badly just before the half.

Refs are human and make mistakes as we all do. But they get a do-over in the form of replay, and it is beyond me how they consistently miss game-changing calls in JH.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I have said this before: the corrupting power of money has affected every profession in this country (world, really), even the judiciary. To somehow think CFB officials are immune to it is insanely naive. How many times do you have to see obvious proof be disregarded to see what is really happening? Someone please put forth another valid reason for this? And, no, “blind” replay officials won’t fly. It doesn’t have to be an actual cash payment; the threat of losing your job might suffice.
I don’t view these officials any differently than any other profession, such as doctors, bankers, etc.; they are loathe to turn on their own because of the scrutiny it would bring to their own questionable decisions.
If you want to just write it off as human error, then maybe the human aspect should be removed from it completely, because this particular event (along with others) brings into question the legitimacy of just leaving things the way they are.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.