Georgia will be the toughest opponent we face all season (including the playoff)

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
That is just my feeling on the whole situation. I don't see this version of Clemson challenging us much. We'd beat the breaks off Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan or Oklahoma.

But I think Georgia is the second best team in the entire country and the gap between them and #3 is more substantial then people realize.

And if truth were known, I bet the playoff committee wants Georgia to beat us so us and Georgia both get in. I sincerely think the playoff committee wants the following 4 teams to get in:

1) Clemson
2) Notre Dame
3) Georgia
4) Alabama (assuming Georgia beats us, we'll still get in)

Why? Because that would bring in the most $$$$$. Those 4 teams are clearly, by far and wide, the best four teams in the country.

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
My fear index is as follows:

1. Clemson - running game, improving passing game, NFL front line, good to excellent everywhere
2. Georgia - running game, solid passing game, excellent+ back 7, good to excellent everywhere
3. Notre Dame - solid team, lossless, hard to judge exactly
4. tOSU/OU, both solid, take your pick, offense+/defense- or offense++/defense--

Whether UGA is the best team outside of Alabama is debatable. I just can’t seem to put together why you some of you are accepting a Bama loss just to get into the playoff. Forget these scenarios, JUST WIN. I don’t care what the committee says. An unbeaten Bama team gets in. I’ll let them worry about the rest.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My fear index is as follows:

1. Clemson - running game, improving passing game, NFL front line, good to excellent everywhere
2. Georgia - running game, solid passing game, excellent+ back 7, good to excellent everywhere
3. Notre Dame - solid team, lossless, hard to judge exactly
4. tOSU/OU, both solid, take your pick, offense+/defense- or offense++/defense--
We can't take anyone in the playoff for granted but the teams I would be most worried about are Ohio State and Clemson. Ohio State has underachieved this past year but as they showed against Michigan they have the talent. Clemson has played really well since they changed QB. Notre Dame and Oklahoma don't seem to be able to match up talent wise with us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, if Georgia is the best team remaining, you guys should start relaxing after you beat them by 30 points.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Never relax!
It is okay to relax. You are a fan.

Reminds me of the Corona commercial with Romo. Tells the fan to sit down with his beer and watch the game. That is what he should do because that is all that he can do.

:cheers2:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Like last year and back in our SECCG a few years back, they are the NC game. I mean they played us good and we then went through CFP and killed ND. Who did not belong and we showed it on national TV in prime time.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
We can't take anyone in the playoff for granted but the teams I would be most worried about are Ohio State and Clemson. Ohio State has underachieved this past year but as they showed against Michigan they have the talent. Clemson has played really well since they changed QB. Notre Dame and Oklahoma don't seem to be able to match up talent wise with us.
Clemson yes OSU beat Mich cause their defense is a paper wolverine. UGA and Clemson are by far best balanced teams, but Tua is the difference. He alone can outscore most any team.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Clemson has the most complete team of #2-6. We can beat anybody with our A game, but Clemson is the first team that would beat us with our B game.

I tried relaxing this weekend. Just couldn't get comfortable. This is coming from someone that thought we would win comfortably, which we ultimately did. I was a little bit fired up too. Hennessey just didn't cut it this time. The buzz went as soon as it came.
It is okay to relax. You are a fan.

Reminds me of the Corona commercial with Romo. Tells the fan to sit down with his beer and watch the game. That is what he should do because that is all that he can do.

:cheers2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I tried relaxing this weekend. Just couldn't get comfortable. This is coming from someone that thought we would win comfortably, which we ultimately did. I was a little bit fired up too. Hennessey just didn't cut it this time. The buzz went as soon as it came.
During the games - totally get it. But between the games - gotta learn to relax and enjoy this ride.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Like last year and back in our SECCG a few years back, they are the NC game. I mean they played us good and we then went through CFP and killed ND. Who did not belong and we showed it on national TV in prime time.
^^^THIS^^^

Mind you, there was no Clempson lurking around the corner in 2012...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm weaving my way through the ins and outs of statistics.

If both teams play their normal game, we win this in a wash.

It's the old "it's certainly not impossible for UGA to win" - if we get their best game and they get one of our worst. But the time off prepping helps us...and right now I have their points output averaging between 24 and 29 points (I've not figured for other variables yet).

Does anyone here think 29 points will beat us?

(Here's a taste of what I'm working on)

Using corrected data, we are scoring almost 20 points above what other teams surrender ppg (19.8 to be precise) while holding other teams to 10 ppg BELOW their average. And we have an additional data point for UGA game-wise (9 to 8), so their info should be better.

The initial eyeball look suggests about an 11-14 point Tide win, but I still have to figure intangibles (turnovers/penalties and individual stars).

I also think that the LSU game shows that if you get Georgia down and frustrated, they're not going to have a lot of fight left.

If you exclude the LSU game that they lost, Georgia has only trailed three times this year: one play against Vandy (they returned the kickoff), about 3 1/3 minutes against Florida, and about 1/2 of a quarter against Auburn. They never trailed in any of these scenarios by MORE than one score. Of course, the same can be said about Alabama, I get that. The question, however, is: is UGA a front-running team, a team that if they can't knock you around will fold? It's true that Alabama never really has trailed this year, but Alabama also does not have a long established history of quitting during the game, either.

While I don't think one should read "too much" into the LSU game, one cannot ignore it, either.

Both teams have 7 lost fumbles on the year.
We've thrown 4 picks, they've thrown 5.

4 COMMON OPPONENTS
Missouri (UGA by 14 on road, Tide by 29 at home) - plus 15 for Tide minus 6 for 3 point HFA in each case, 9 point diff
Vols (UGA by 26 at home, Tide by 37 on road) - 11 point diff
LSU (UGA LOST on road by 20, Tide won on road by 29 - a whopping differential of 49 points)
Auburn (UGA by 17 at home, Alabama by 31 at home) - 14 point diff

Alabama holds a double digit differential regarding all four opponents played.
Citing the LSU example would be an anomaly. ALL FOUR favoring Alabama substantially shifts the data points in UA's favor.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Like last year and back in our SECCG a few years back, they are the NC game. I mean they played us good and we then went through CFP and killed ND.
No, we didn't. We had one game after UGA because there was no playoff in 2012.

Who did not belong and we showed it on national TV in prime time.
Notre Dame was not in the same universe as Alabama, but they DID belong in the game.
You go unbeaten as a P5 team and nobody else does - and you deserve the opportunity.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That is just my feeling on the whole situation. I don't see this version of Clemson challenging us much. We'd beat the breaks off Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan or Oklahoma.

But I think Georgia is the second best team in the entire country and the gap between them and #3 is more substantial then people realize.

And if truth were known, I bet the playoff committee wants Georgia to beat us so us and Georgia both get in. I sincerely think the playoff committee wants the following 4 teams to get in:

1) Clemson
2) Notre Dame
3) Georgia
4) Alabama (assuming Georgia beats us, we'll still get in)

Why? Because that would bring in the most $$$$$. Those 4 teams are clearly, by far and wide, the best four teams in the country.
I'm sorry, but UGA is NOT going to draw more money or eyes than Ohio State.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Another point - Alabama simply does not lose to teams that run the style of offense that Georgia runs. They have a pocket passer who runs only when he has to. They are a run heavy offense that only has success when they stay ahead of the chains. They work their way down the field with short passes and runs. They are really going to struggle to score in this game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My honest opinion....

UGA looks like LSU in that there is something clearly wrong with them and it’s the lack of competition that makes them continue to win. If we let Tua loose then we are going to kick their butt and make them like it. UGA is not as good as they appear.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
My honest opinion....

UGA looks like LSU in that there is something clearly wrong with them and it’s the lack of competition that makes them continue to win. If we let Tua loose then we are going to kick their butt and make them like it. UGA is not as good as they appear.
Alabama has to be liberal in how it calls plays from the opening snap in this game. No more slow starts. Tua is a once in a generation talent and you put the ball in his hands to win. Georgia has a good offense and they will get theirs, too. But I just feel like Alabama is better in every area except the kicking game. Which is frightening. Blankenship is a great kicker.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.