JessN: Georgia wrap-up: Key turnovers, consistent offensive pressure allowed Bama to pull away

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Last edited by a moderator:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks, Jess as always, a very thorough portrait of the game. The defense, while playing better overall, still needs some attention as does the kicking game.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Great win by Alabama! Sure the defense can get better...but man what a core of receivers/RBs/Linemen we have-and our QB is better by far than anyone expected....this team has a fighting spirit I like.

Reactions: Padreruf

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Glad you put a spotlight on 2/3 of the kicking game.

While punting is pitiful (as we remember J.K. Scott) the kick-off team is KILLING us by allowing the opponent to start closer to the 50 yard line than the 25 yard line. How many times did Georgia start a drive near the 40 yard line after a kickoff? Did we have a kick beyond the 5 yard line??? It's like giving the opponent 2 first downs on each drive and that's putting more pressure on a struggling defense.

IMO, this is our #1 weakness right now, even more so than punting.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

While punting is pitiful (as we remember J.K. Scott) the kick-off team is KILLING us by allowing the opponent to start closer to the 50 yard line than the 25 yard line. How many times did Georgia start a drive near the 40 yard line after a kickoff? Did we have a kick beyond the 5 yard line??? It's like giving the opponent 2 first downs on each drive and that's putting more pressure on a struggling defense.
This just means that Waddle's breakaway TDs go for more yards.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

IMO, this is our #1 weakness right now, even more so than punting.
KIck-offs had me confused during the game. I thought we were kicking short to give us time to get the coverage unit down there and perhaps stop them short of the 25. But then coverage wasn't very good.

Is it as simple as our kickers lack the requisite motion or kicking style to effectively put the ball in the end zone?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
KIck-offs had me confused during the game. I thought we were kicking short to give us time to get the coverage unit down there and perhaps stop them short of the 25. But then coverage wasn't very good.

Is it as simple as our kickers lack the requisite motion or kicking style to effectively put the ball in the end zone?
I have no idea about the mechanics of kicking.

Honestly, I don't know if any of our kickers have the leg strength to consistently kick it into the EZ. You'd think WR could because he appears to have a strong leg. That 52 yarder would have been good from about 60 and that's kicking off the ground. Put it on a tee and he ought to be able to get it another 10-15 yards it seems to me.

If we were covering better I'd think the short kicks were by design but after giving up all those return yards kick after kick you'd think CNS would say "kick it into the EZ" (if we could) and let them start at the 25.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have no idea about the mechanics of kicking.

Honestly, I don't know if any of our kickers have the leg strength to consistently kick it into the EZ. You'd think WR could because he appears to have a strong leg. That 52 yarder would have been good from about 60 and that's kicking off the ground. Put it on a tee and he ought to be able to get it another 10-15 yards it seems to me.

If we were covering better I'd think the short kicks were by design but after giving up all those return yards kick after kick you'd think CNS would say "kick it into the EZ" (if we could) and let them start at the 25.
WR took over the kickoff duties after the kick went out of bounds and he did no better than you walk-on. Honestly, after WR got hurt kicking off in a game last year, I don't want him anywhere near that tee again. But if he wants a shot at an NFL career, he needs to learn to kick off. No matter how good he is at kicking FGs, he has no shot at all of making an NFL roster if he cannot consistently put the ball at least 5 yards deep in the end zone on kickoffs.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Someone on one of the post game shows brought it up and Jess is so right about it. You can’t underestimate the pressure Bama’s offense puts on teams . That pressure made SB press and the result was interceptions, the pressure made the UGA coaching staff press, and they made higher risk calls, that led to turnovers.
When Sark was hired, did anyone see this coming? Especially after the loss of a Tua, Jeudy and Ruggs! I expected a good solid offense that would dink and dunk , compliment the running game with screens and take 4-5 shots down the field.
Another takeaway rom Saturday , running the ball when you need to against supposedly the best defense in football. When we got the ball with about 6 minutes to go, and they basically turned and handed it to Najee and Najee blasted through that defensive line. Over here, People in Georgia are wondering how Alabama got so many roadgrader linemen when all they have heard is Georgia is the best at recruiting in the trenches! That Najee drive was the most beautiful thing of the night to me! That took their manhood!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.