News Article: Good luck dealing with a pandemic, depending on this administration...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Regardless of changes in our health infrastructure.....I just don't see any evidence yet that Trump has negatively impacted our ability to manage the virus here.

Those articles are based on someone's speculation and it's too early to know how things will end up.
your refusal to see the evidence doesn't make it not exist

I honestly haven't believed you to be truthful about any of this for some time

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Coronavirus-infected Americans flown home against CDC’s advice

In Washington, where it was still Sunday afternoon, a fierce debate broke out: The State Department and a top Trump administration health official wanted to forge ahead. The infected passengers had no symptoms and could be segregated on the plane in a plastic-lined enclosure. But officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention disagreed, contending they could still spread the virus. The CDC believed the 14 should not be flown back with uninfected passengers.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Do you remember back on January 3 when we took out Soleimani? Much was said in the media (and on here) that this was a BIG mistake by Trump. That Iran would declare war on us - or some such.

At that time....I agreed this was a valid concern......I just wasn't so quick to buy into the "We're headed to war" narrative.

Dealing with this virus is also a valid concern.

Regardless of changes in our health infrastructure.....I just don't see any evidence yet that Trump has negatively impacted our ability to manage the virus here.

Those articles are based on someone's speculation and it's too early to know how things will end up.
It appears Hindsight is your superpower - but that won't help us now (I shamelessly stole this from CA).

It is FACT that Trump gutted the infrastructure to deal with these events. NOT opinion, but FACT.

Any speculation based on that fact is based on education, experience, and common sense - which appears to not be as common as we wished.

The fact that war was averted at the last possible moment and with great consequences of an entire plane load of people dying as collateral damage and over 100 service members suffering serious TBI's (traumatic brain injuries) does not remove the fact that the move was provocative and brought us to the brink of war.

Your attitude reminds me of attitudes here prior to 9/11. We had always avoided attacks on our soil. Terrorists plans had failed to bring the results they desired. We were doing fine. No need to worry - until there was need to worry but then it was too late to plan and act to stop anything from happening.

If you don't see it's because you don't want to see.

Last edited:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Interesting and helpful article, of the non fear mongering variety. Contrary to what some think, Doctors are working around the clock to treat this bug:

https://www.yalemedicine.org/stories/2019-novel-coronavirus/

Below is a list of five things you should know about the coronavirus outbreak.

1. For now, this year’s flu presents a greater danger to us than this new illness
People in the U.S. should remain calm, Dr. Martinello says. While data from China show the new coronavirus to be both more contagious and associated with greater severity of disease than influenza, at this point only a small number of people here have been infected, he adds. But influenza is having a substantial impact in Connecticut and across the country. “Therefore, the risk of influenza is much greater for the U.S. than the risk of the novel coronavirus,” Dr. Martinello says.

That doesn’t mean doctors in the U.S. aren’t keeping a close eye on the new virus. “This is a time of watchful waiting,” says Joseph Vinetz, MD. “The bottom line is that there is a new flu-like bug. With the new virus in a culture dish, they are looking at the biology and working to make drugs to treat it.” There is also a great deal of effort underway to assess drugs in development (and some medications currently available) to determine if they are beneficial for treating patients infected with COVID-19, adds Dr. Martinello.

Reactions: prattalumni

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Interesting and helpful article, of the non fear mongering variety. Contrary to what some think, Doctors are working around the clock to treat this bug:

https://www.yalemedicine.org/stories/2019-novel-coronavirus/

Below is a list of five things you should know about the coronavirus outbreak.

1. For now, this year’s flu presents a greater danger to us than this new illness
People in the U.S. should remain calm, Dr. Martinello says. While data from China show the new coronavirus to be both more contagious and associated with greater severity of disease than influenza, at this point only a small number of people here have been infected, he adds. But influenza is having a substantial impact in Connecticut and across the country. “Therefore, the risk of influenza is much greater for the U.S. than the risk of the novel coronavirus,” Dr. Martinello says.

That doesn’t mean doctors in the U.S. aren’t keeping a close eye on the new virus. “This is a time of watchful waiting,” says Joseph Vinetz, MD. “The bottom line is that there is a new flu-like bug. With the new virus in a culture dish, they are looking at the biology and working to make drugs to treat it.” There is also a great deal of effort underway to assess drugs in development (and some medications currently available) to determine if they are beneficial for treating patients infected with COVID-19, adds Dr. Martinello.
The CDC is not fear mongering.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
they are just speculating.
Yes and I am glad they speculate. Remember when Ebola arrived in the US a few years or so ago?
Here is how the CDC Responded:
During the height of the response, CDC trained 24,655 healthcare workers in West Africa on infection prevention and control practices.[4] In the United States, more than 6,500 people were trained during live training events throughout the response.

I was one of those 6500 trained. Pretty scary time to be in patient care, especially in a large(ish) city like Nashville.

The outcome? Seven other people were cared for in the United States after they were exposed to the virus and became ill while in West Africa, the majority of whom were medical workers. They were transported by chartered aircraft from West Africa to hospitals in the United States. Six of these patients recovered, one died.

We went through similar speculation with SARS, H1N1, Swine Flu, etc. The CDC does a great job at speculating and trying to get in front of these bugs. They always start from a "worst-case" scenario and model the outbreak from there. My hope is that they will get a line on this bug and come up with a vaccine sooner rather than later. Of course, my flu vaccine this year did me ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD:mad::mad:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yes and I am glad they speculate. Remember when Ebola arrived in the US a few years or so ago?
Here is how the CDC Responded:
During the height of the response, CDC trained 24,655 healthcare workers in West Africa on infection prevention and control practices.[4] In the United States, more than 6,500 people were trained during live training events throughout the response.

I was one of those 6500 trained. Pretty scary time to be in patient care, especially in a large(ish) city like Nashville.

The outcome? Seven other people were cared for in the United States after they were exposed to the virus and became ill while in West Africa, the majority of whom were medical workers. They were transported by chartered aircraft from West Africa to hospitals in the United States. Six of these patients recovered, one died.

We went through similar speculation with SARS, H1N1, Swine Flu, etc. The CDC does a great job at speculating and trying to get in front of these bugs. They always start from a "worst-case" scenario and model the outbreak from there. My hope is that they will get a line on this bug and come up with a vaccine sooner rather than later. Of course, my flu vaccine this year did me ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD:mad::mad:
that was meant to be in blue.

my previous job had some overlap with the public health field and i knew quite a few folks who work at cdc. i'm glad we have them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
  • Haha
Reactions: NationalTitles18

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OK, since you're having trouble connecting dots...

1. Trump removes the nation's infrastructure for responding to pandemics, and keeps cutting the CDC's budget for good measure.
2. A bunch of experts in managing pandemics say that if a pandemic breaks out in the US, we will be an a very bad position to handle it, since the lack of infrastructure in leadership will prevent an quick response, which is critical in controlling pandemics.
3. Bazza: That's just speculation. If there's a pandemic and the US' ineffective response leads to the zombie apocalypse, then I'll admit that there may be a problem. Maybe.
Bah! All speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.