News Article: Good luck dealing with a pandemic, depending on this administration...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Look, I have my own apprehensions about what COULD happen with all kinds of things, and there's part of me that's kind of the old throwback where you: a) go to the polls; b) on election day; and c) vote. But that's not the world we live in anymore (although I've said since the first election I remember well in 1980 that that day should be a national holiday).

But I'd be a hypocrite if I thought absentee balloting was okay for me in the military but not okay elsewhere ESPECIALLY during a pandemic. Besides, Mango Mussolini votes by mail himself.
I voted absentee in college and when I was in the military and I voted absentee again this year in the primary. Statistics don't show that it is inherently more subject to fraud than in person voting. We should make it easier for people to vote, not harder.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Cases in Alabama
March 12 0
March 13 6
March 14 12
March 15 22
March 16 29
March 17 39
March 18 51
March 19 78
March 20 106
March 21 131
March 22 157
March 23 196
March 24 242
March 25 386
March 26 531
March 27 638
March 28 702
March 29 827
March 30 936
March 31 999
April 1 1,106
April 2 1,270
April 3 1,535
April 4 1,633
April 5 1,841
April 6 2,006
April 7 2,197
April 8 2,499
April 9 2,838
April 10 3,008
April 11 3,262
April 12 3,583
April 13 3,803
April 14 3,953
April 15 4,241
April 16 4,404
April 17 4,572
April 18 4,723
April 19 4,903
April 20 5,078
April 21 5,327
April 22 5,610
April 23 5,832
April 24 No update
April 25 6,213
April 26 6,418
April 27 6,539
April 28 6,750
April 29 6,924
April 30 7,068
May 1 7,294
May 2 7,611
May 3 7,888
May 4 8,118
May 5 8,437
May 6 8,691
May 7 9,046
May 8 9,385
May 9 9,668
May 10 9,889
May 11 10,164
May 12 10,464
May 13 10,700
May 14 11,101
May 15 11,373
May 16 11,674
May 17 11,771
May 18 12,086
May 19 12,701
May 20 12,744
May 21 13,119
May 22 13,436
May 23 13,839
May 24 14,478
May 25 14,632

State reports 560 deaths.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Even as the number of cases rise and approach 15,000 in Alabama the number of cases in the last 14 days has kept pace to remain about 1/3 of the total cases.

Hospitalized patients and ICU cases are also on the rise in Tuscaloosa. We already heard about Montgomery. This seems to be the general trend in the state.

1590463105383.png

• Thank You
Reactions: JDCrimson

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
This is probably beyond the realm of reality, but while walking this morning I thought about wearing masks or not (I wear one when out in public). I read somewhere, may have been on here in some post, but the gist of the comment with regard to wearing masks was that it would identify those who supported and believed Trump (no mask) and those who thought he was an unfit, liar (mask wears). Then I thought a step farther, what if the mask less starting physically targeting and even killing those wearing mask since it identified the enemies of Trump. I know, it is ridiculous, but with the orange idiot in control what is inconceivable may become conceivable. Back to your regular scheduled programming.
69A73DA2-372B-4183-941B-BE47656BE5CC.jpeg

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The public radio station had some sobering stats about Alabama this morning. If I understood what I heard correctly, there are 46 other states with a slower rate of growth of the virus than here in Alabama. One third of all virus cases in Alabama have surfaced in the past few weeks, with the talley up around 15,000.

I was told a popular bar here in Decatur was closed over the weekend when they had too many people up too close, I don't know how closely other bars were monitored.

My concern is with the instant gratification mindset going around, short attention spans, and a President egging people on to not honor safety measures and actually do the opposite...things could continue to worsen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The public radio station had some sobering stats about Alabama this morning. If I understood what I heard correctly, there are 46 other states with a slower rate of growth of the virus than here in Alabama. One third of all virus cases in Alabama have surfaced in the past few weeks, with the talley up around 15,000.

I was told a popular bar here in Decatur was closed over the weekend when they had too many people up too close, I don't know how closely other bars were monitored.

My concern is with the instant gratification mindset going around, short attention spans, and a President egging people on to not honor safety measures and actually do the opposite...things could continue to worsen.
At this point it is clear that the states and individuals are not going to do the right thing. It really comes down to personal decisions when the masses behave like this.

Protect yourself and your family. It really is the only thing within our control.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Alabama and South Carolina are about the same size...Bama is way ahead of us in infections and deaths. After this weekend it will be interesting to see what happens in all our states...I hope for no increase in deaths, but I'm not banking on it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
At this point it is clear that the states and individuals are not going to do the right thing. It really comes down to personal decisions when the masses behave like this.

Protect yourself and your family. It really is the only thing within our control.
Yup - had to make a quick dash to the store yesterday for literally four things (Dad's birthday is today, I'm cooking for everyone) and I'd guess >10% of the shoppers had masks. Most employees did, though about 25% of them had the mask around their necks, not covering their nose and mouth.

I came home and told my wife how astonishing it is that the 'muh freedom' crowd values their 'freedom' more than other people's actual lives. Keep in mind I'm a staunch constitutionally-minded person - but this isn't about 'freedom', it's about common courtesy and consideration for our fellow citizens.

SMH. It's pretty disheartening.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Yup - had to make a quick dash to the store yesterday for literally four things (Dad's birthday is today, I'm cooking for everyone) and I'd guess >10% of the shoppers had masks. Most employees did, though about 25% of them had the mask around their necks, not covering their nose and mouth.

I came home and told my wife how astonishing it is that the 'muh freedom' crowd values their 'freedom' more than other people's actual lives. Keep in mind I'm a staunch constitutionally-minded person - but this isn't about 'freedom', it's about common courtesy and consideration for our fellow citizens.

SMH. It's pretty disheartening.
It's VERY disheartening...I knew we (USA) were on a downward spiral both intellectually and culturally...but I thought we were ahead of where we obviously are. I hold very little hope for our future...and for that of my grandchildren. Years ago I visited Nigeria...all the "better" residential areas had stone walls with barbed wire and cut glass on top...and a "guard" to warn them of intruders. So sad...we are getting there very fast...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It's VERY disheartening...I knew we (USA) were on a downward spiral both intellectually and culturally...but I thought we were ahead of where we obviously are. I hold very little hope for our future...and for that of my grandchildren. Years ago I visited Nigeria...all the "better" residential areas had stone walls with barbed wire and cut glass on top...and a "guard" to warn them of intruders. So sad...we are getting there very fast...
I saw the same kind of broken glass atop walls in Tangier, it's shocking when you first see it.

I just rode by the Courthouse in Decatur. About 50 people lined up outside waiting for drivers licenses. All standing right next to each other, not a mask in the bunch.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I saw the same kind of broken glass atop walls in Tangier, it's shocking when you first see it.
In Brazil they say that the wealthy are in prison and the criminals walk freely. All houses and apartments are behind locked gates and steel fences with many electrified on top. Apartment garages are double gated to prevent entrants from being attacked when waiting to enter the parking garage. Years ago I had a business meeting in Newark, NJ and was astounded to see concertina wire on top of minute-marts and business parking lots with iron bars over all doors and windows. Coming soon, as they say, to a community near you!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
In Brazil they say that the wealthy are in prison and the criminals walk freely. All houses and apartments are behind locked gates and steel fences with many electrified on top. Apartment garages are double gated to prevent entrants from being attacked when waiting to enter the parking garage. Years ago I had a business meeting in Newark, NJ and was astounded to see concertina wire on top of minute-marts and business parking lots with iron bars over all doors and windows. Coming soon, as they say, to a community near you!
Have been to Brazil as well...the poverty in Rio was overwhelming...same type of situation.

Reactions: B1GTide

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Hit piece by Anderson Cooper on our illustrious citizens.
I'll admit that I don't like crowds normally, and I know some who went to Gulf Shores this weekend and joined the throngs. I've never gone on Memorial Day, and have no intention to fight crowds.
But how many interviews did they do, and then use the ones that made our whole state look dumber than a box of rocks? The report on the restaurants were much more informative. And idk much about the mayor of Montgomery, but he did a great job.
This kind of portrayal of the South is what gives people a chip on their shoulder and makes people angry enough to vote for Trump. This kind of thing is the whole reason he got elected in 2016.
But speaking to people who puttered around their yards and avoided crowds at beaches and stores this weekend doesn't make for dramatic news. That wouldn't make people look down on us, and think that we deserve what's coming. And the fact is, you can find these behaviors and attitudes in every state, but it doesnt fit the narrative.
We obviously have many people that do fit that narrative. But so does Ohio. So does any state.
To honestly portray the South and it's people is much harder work, so rarely done.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Hit piece by Anderson Cooper on our illustrious citizens.
I'll admit that I don't like crowds normally, and I know some who went to Gulf Shores this weekend and joined the throngs. I've never gone on Memorial Day, and have no intention to fight crowds.
But how many interviews did they do, and then use the ones that made our whole state look dumber than a box of rocks? The report on the restaurants were much more informative. And idk much about the mayor of Montgomery, but he did a great job.
This kind of portrayal of the South is what gives people a chip on their shoulder and makes people angry enough to vote for Trump. This kind of thing is the whole reason he got elected in 2016.
But speaking to people who puttered around their yards and avoided crowds at beaches and stores this weekend doesn't make for dramatic news. That wouldn't make people look down on us, and think that we deserve what's coming. And the fact is, you can find these behaviors and attitudes in every state, but it doesnt fit the narrative.
We obviously have many people that do fit that narrative. But so does Ohio. So does any state.
To honestly portray the South and it's people is much harder work, so rarely done.

What about all the reporting done on CA and FL beaches or in other areas of the country (Michigan and others)?

I think your (and other) attitude about this are at least partially shaped by that feeling in the South that Southerners are looked down on so any report like this is taken to be just that.

The report was fine.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
What about all the reporting done on CA and FL beaches or in other areas of the country (Michigan and others)?

I think your (and other) attitude about this are at least partially shaped by that feeling in the South that Southerners are looked down on so any report like this is taken to be just that.

The report was fine.
I generally read news instead of watch, although I will watch segments. I've seen reports on Florida beaches, but not California.
I do agree about the being looked down upon. And reading the comments on the video, others certainly do look down upon us. I've experienced it in life. Many of us with an accent have.
They picked the worst of the worst to interview. Except the mayor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.