News Article: Good luck dealing with a pandemic, depending on this administration...

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A friend of mine who has been with Pfizer for a decades now just posted this article: NORTHSIDER REED HOGAN'S OVER-THE-COUNTER COVID-19 TREATMENT CUTS DEATH RATE 25-40%

The result: his team cut death rates by 25-40%, down to 15.5%, and 8.2% not including those with DNRs (do-not-resuscitate orders). They also reduced the intubation rate (need for a ventilator) down to 16.4%, a reduction of 1/3 to 1/2 of reported rates in the pandemic.

“I wanted to see if we blunt the cytokine storm with medications anyone in the world can find and afford,” said Hogan, partner with GI Associates in Jackson, Mississippi. The study was not sponsored by a pharmaceutical company or government grant, but by the physicians of GI Associates themselves.

Working to treat a large group of patients, many already in intensive care units, the ages of these very sick patients skewed towards 60-plus in age, with many coming from nursing homes. Based in Mississippi, where general health is often compromised due to socio-economic issues, these patients averaged a high 2.7 in co-morbidities (other health problems). Of those patients, 59% were African-American and 59% female, according to the data.

The selected drug combination included an allergy (antihistamine) and an antacid (acid-reducing drug), commonly found on shelves that have been safely used for decades. While the answer appears simple, it is actually quite complex. These two meds, cetirizine and famotidine, work to block H1 and H2 histamine receptors, producing a one-two punch against inflammation, a deadly factor the cytokine storm of COVID-19, according to Hogan.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A friend of mine who has been with Pfizer for a decades now just posted this article: NORTHSIDER REED HOGAN'S OVER-THE-COUNTER COVID-19 TREATMENT CUTS DEATH RATE 25-40%
Hold on until the end:

There are problems with this study.

For study text click here.

The lead author has a huge conflict of interest ( Dr. Hogan II discloses a US patent application on dual-histamine blockade in the treatment of COVID-19 and issued patents on the treatment of diarrhea, plus ownership in a biomedical business related to the latter ).

Small non randomized sample group. Multiple confounding medications. No local control group due to inadequate sample size. Others.

Breakdown of age group outcomes would be helpful.

Another preprint study, many of which have turned out to be of very poor quality.

It's a mess.

OTOH, these and similar medications are often used in hypersensitivity immune reactions like urticaria and angioedema and they are relatively safe and inexpensive.

If I were in hospital with this disease I'd gladly take a chance on these medications, among others.

All that said, the phrase "more study is needed" applies.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Wonder what dosage level? I take both of those daily...
I take Zyrtec and a stomach acid reducer...because of the pain pills I take. Along with my statin drug and beta blocker -- I've heard both of those help to minimize the effects of Covid 19. I also walk several miles a day and do stretching and core work. Yes, I take a lot of pills, but it is all monitored...better living through chemistry.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I take Zyrtec and a stomach acid reducer...because of the pain pills I take. Along with my statin drug and beta blocker -- I've heard both of those help to minimize the effects of Covid 19. I also walk several miles a day and do stretching and core work. Yes, I take a lot of pills, but it is all monitored...better living through chemistry.
Yeah, I take all of those plus a few... :)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't believe this email from ABN going out to Alabama nurses is a coincidence:

Attention: Alabama Nurses

During these uncertain times, all Alabamians have come together to assist our state in responding to the COVID-19 outbreak, and nurses, once again, have answered the call. However, as the crisis continues, our fellow citizens still need our help.

As active participants in this collaborative effort to ensure that all Alabamians have access to the care they need, the Alabama Hospital Association (ALAHA) and the Alabama Nursing Home Association (ANHA) have provided resources to bring nurses and facilities together to the benefit of all concerned. Below, we are linking the job boards for ALAHA and ANHA, to help you find the position that best allows you to practice our honored profession, and to comfort your fellow citizens in their time of need. We encourage you to access these resources and explore opportunities to assist patients throughout our state.

As always, thank you for your time, and thank you for all you do for Alabama patients.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Wouldn’t be shocked by similar here if full scale lockdowns are announced again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.