Link: Good read on Mac Jones and Bryce Young

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
One thing is clear from player posts on Twitter and interviews - Mac has won the team over. We’re once again blessed with riches at QB. It wasn’t that long ago we didn’t have a capable starter.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Obviously I want the best guy to start, if there truly is a best guy. What I'm about to say is if the QB competition is more of a toss- up. In a toss-up situation an argument could be made to start Young instead because then we'd have a really, really, good QB for 3 seasons vs. only 2 seasons if Jones is the starter. Why only 2 seasons? Because if Young fails to win the job in 2021 he transfers. Then we don't know who we're left with after Jones leaves. I know this is something to think about more next season but I always try to think long term.

Reactions: BamaDenver

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Obviously I want the best guy to start, if there truly is a best guy. What I'm about to say is if the QB competition is more of a toss- up. In a toss-up situation an argument could be made to start Young instead because then we'd have a really, really, good QB for 3 seasons vs. only 2 seasons if Jones is the starter. Why only 2 seasons? Because if Young fails to win the job in 2021 he transfers. Then we don't know who we're left with after Jones leaves. I know this is something to think about more next season but I always try to think long term.
I appreciate the caveat that if it's a "toss up" situation.

If that were to be the case, there's never been a better year for having a 2 QB system.

If they are, in fact, close to neck and neck I think one will probably pull head at some point. Consider the fact BY is considered to have the higher ceiling, with some experience, I think he'd pull ahead.

What do I expect? I think MJ is probably considerably ahead of BY right now (mainly based on program and game experience), but I think BY will get significant, meaningful minutes (especially due to the need to have 2 QBs available this year) and I think by the end of the year we'll have two outstanding QBs. If it plays out like that, who knows what'll happen next year?

Reactions: Con

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If he were to win that major award and a national championship I would be as happy about a national championship season as I was in 2015 when Coker and Henry led us there.
I think all of us would take that and it would probably result in MJ going pro next year and setting up BY for a two-year run as starter.

Reactions: The Ols

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I am all for Mac starting. He played well considering the circumstances last year. He has waited his turn. I will pull for Bryce to get lots of playing time too. If he plays better than Mac, then that is good news because both are capable of getting us to the Playoffs. I would like to see Paul play some in the 4th quarter for experience, in case we need him at some point. Unfortunately, he won't get much of a chance since it is an all SEC schedule...maybe against Mizzou and Arkansas he might.

The main thing I want is for all 3 QB to stay injury free and sick free. Same for all players on the team really, and the coaches. If this happens, Bama will win the SEC.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am all for Mac starting. He played well considering the circumstances last year. He has waited his turn. I will pull for Bryce to get lots of playing time too. If he plays better than Mac, then that is good news because both are capable of getting us to the Playoffs. I would like to see Paul play some in the 4th quarter for experience, in case we need him at some point. Unfortunately, he won't get much of a chance since it is an all SEC schedule...maybe against Mizzou and Arkansas he might.

The main thing I want is for all 3 QB to stay injury free and sick free. Same for all players on the team really, and the coaches. If this happens, Bama will win the SEC.
A year like this, there are teams that might need to know who the 4th string guy is.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
If Mac start throwing ints, he will be pulled. If he can take care of the ball like he did in the Bowl game, he will be alright, alright. 😊 Just win baby! Roll Tide!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.