Government Cameras Hidden on Private Property? Welcome to Open Fields

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Land of free? Not really. SMH

Government Cameras Hidden on Private Property? Welcome to Open Fields

Can the government place cameras and monitoring equipment on a private citizen’s land at will, or conduct surveillance and stakeouts on private land, without probable cause or a search warrant? Indeed, according to the U.S. Supreme Court’s (SCOTUS) interpretation of the Fourth Amendment. Welcome to Open Fields.

The vast majority of Americans assume law enforcement needs a warrant to carry out surveillance, but for roughly a century, SCOTUS has ruled that private land—is not private. Fourth Amendment protections against “unreasonable searches and seizures” expressed in the Bill of Rights only apply to an individual’s immediate dwelling area, according to SCOTUS.
:mad:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It said the cameras disappeared a couple days after he noticed them. Sounds like Big Brother saw his mug on video and decided to move them before he blasted them with his shotgun.

This is wrong. They have no right to go on his land without a warrant.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
I would have just taken out the SIM and SD cards and attached them to the tree right next to the camera, rendering them non-functional until someone came back out and plugged them back in. That way I couldn't be accused of stealing or destroying anything. If they came back out and plugged them in I would continue to take them out.

Reactions: Padreruf

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I would have just taken out the SIM and SD cards and attached them to the tree right next to the camera, rendering them non-functional until someone came back out and plugged them back in. That way I couldn't be accused of stealing or destroying anything. If they came back out and plugged them in I would continue to take them out.
Or put up targets close to the cameras and take some target practice and whoops miss!

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pay attention to "a"...

Code of Alabama

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've thought about it - I'd likely scout the area to make sure I knew where all the cameras were then approach them from the rear and remove the SIM cards (while wearing gloves). Dispose of the SIMs and deny any knowledge of their existence.

That or just cut them off the tree and leave them by the base, facing the sky or the ground.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've thought about it - I'd likely scout the area to make sure I knew where all the cameras were then approach them from the rear and remove the SIM cards (while wearing gloves). Dispose of the SIMs and deny any knowledge of their existence.

That or just cut them off the tree and leave them by the base, facing the sky or the ground.
Well, you're just talking about how not to get caught. :) I was just pointing out that the law does provide a penalty, if you do get caught. If they get damaged, then you've go another charge...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

That, or do the macarena while nude in front of the camera

• Haha
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well, you're just talking about how not to get caught. :) I was just pointing out that the law does provide a penalty, if you do get caught. If they get damaged, then you've go another charge...
Bingo.

Of course, if there are no markings on the camera whatsoever, I don't see how you can be charged with damaging government property - the natural assumption would generally be it was a rogue hunter.

But yeah, I'd not get caught. If they don't catch you and you aren't in possession of the camera when the jack-booted thugs come to your door, good luck making anything stick.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bingo.

Of course, if there are no markings on the camera whatsoever, I don't see how you can be charged with damaging government property - the natural assumption would generally be it was a rogue hunter.

But yeah, I'd not get caught. If they don't catch you and you aren't in possession of the camera when the jack-booted thugs come to your door, good luck making anything stick.
Actually, GSA regs require that government property be clearly marked as such. I ran into this recently on the custodial contract for Redstone. A new "auditor" misread both the contract and the DFARs and thought he could make us inventory all of the property used in the contract as GFP. (Actually, the only GFP was consumables, IOW TP, paper towels, etc.) Our government services VP invited him to tour one building and point out the property clearly marked as US-owned. Of course, he couldn't find any. I'd be willing to bet these cameras are clearly marked as "Property of the United States Government." They're probably painted OD. At any rate, I'd be extremely careful about messing with it...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
At any rate, I'd be extremely careful about messing with it...
Yeah, I'm just saying that if they put them on my property (they wouldn't where I live now) I'd take action. I wouldn't broadcast it, of course, but they would find these cameras falling off the trees at an astonishing rate.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.