Greg Byrne: Alcohol not coming to Coleman

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Good. Hope it stays out of concession stands forever. Had a bad enough experience with it at the Swamp. Its beyond apparent that college event crews have no idea how to deal with drunks.

Also Im tired of going to games and have the beer league constantly get up to go grab another beer. Seriously I got up nearly 50 times during the national championship game because someone had to have a beer.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I’m just glad they refused because of the tax implemented by Tuscaloosa when they thought they would sell alcohol at University sporting events.

The city tried to guilt trip the University by saying the “fee” was for the civil service retirement funds. University Prez tells the city that Alabama provides enough revenue with the guests that come to see the events. Good for the University.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If it's such a profitable venture to sell alcohol at UA events, then UA needs to fund and staff the UAPD to handle this burden on its own and leave city services out of it.

Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I know it's not a popular opinion with some, but alcohol abuse is a blight on our society and it certainly doesn't belong at a sporting event when someone can sit for 2 hours and constantly drink. JMO
100% in agreement. Nothing good happens when people are intoxicated: at home, driving down a road/interstate, at a sporting event, etc. Use the example of that former WR driving in Las Vegas.
There could be domestic violence at home. There could be injuries or deaths on the highways. Can't you just see fights at the end of an athletic event?

It would be very sad if someone was injured or killed on the road by a DRUNK fan leaving an athletic event.

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaMoon

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Good. Hope it stays out of concession stands forever. Had a bad enough experience with it at the Swamp. Its beyond apparent that college event crews have no idea how to deal with drunks.

Also Im tired of going to games and have the beer league constantly get up to go grab another beer. Seriously I got up nearly 50 times during the national championship game because someone had to have a beer.
Hmmmmm. If someone is injured or killed by a drunk driver leaving a football stadium or basketball game, would the University be LIABLE for this injury or death $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Hmmmmm. If someone is injured or killed by a drunk driver leaving a football stadium or basketball game, would the University be LIABLE for this injury or death $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?
How often are bars held accountable? I’m sure the University would bring in outside companies to distribute the alcohol, potentially mitigating any liability?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If it's such a profitable venture to sell alcohol at UA events, then UA needs to fund and staff the UAPD to handle this burden on its own and leave city services out of it.
Don't they do that already? I see police everywhere on Alabama's campus on game day.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Don't they do that already? I see police everywhere on Alabama's campus on game day.
Yes. In spite of all the money UA brings in to the city of Tuscaloosa , Tuscaloosa was about to hit them up for $1-$3 per ticket per event for the privilege of selling alcohol. That’s why UA stopped this in its tracks.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes. In spite of all the money UA brings in to the city of Tuscaloosa , Tuscaloosa was about to hit them up for $1-$3 per ticket per event for the privilege of selling alcohol. That’s why UA stopped this in its tracks.
Sounds like more Bible belt stuff to me rather than a money grab.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Sounds like more Bible belt stuff to me rather than a money grab.
$100k per weekend at BD ($700k)
$25k from Coleman per basketball game ($450k)
$15k from softball games ($360k)
$24k from baseball games ($480k)

I didn’t include other athletic events that UA would consider selling alcohol at, like women’s basketball. I also backed off full attendance for any venue not named Bryant Denny. I also only used the $1 fee at BD because I’m not sure if the fee is more for larger venues or less. So conservatively the city of Tuscaloosa was going to get almost $2 million extra in revenue.

Bible Belt has nothing to do with purchasing alcohol at sporting events. Most folks would probably buy it at Church if it was offered. This was most definitely a cash grab by the City of Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: ROCKEE

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
$100k per weekend at BD ($700k)
$25k from Coleman per basketball game ($450k)
$15k from softball games ($360k)
$24k from baseball games ($480k)

I didn’t include other athletic events that UA would consider selling alcohol at, like women’s basketball. I also backed off full attendance for any venue not named Bryant Denny. I also only used the $1 fee at BD because I’m not sure if the fee is more for larger venues or less. So conservatively the city of Tuscaloosa was going to get almost $2 million extra in revenue.

Bible Belt has nothing to do with purchasing alcohol at sporting events. Most folks would probably buy it at Church if it was offered. This was most definitely a cash grab by the City of Tuscaloosa.
They knew that Alabama would refuse, which made it not about the money, but about control.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.