Group wants "Dixie" removed from fight song

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Does anyone actually use the word in casual conversation? I'm not saying the word should be removed, it just occurred to me it is somewhat antiquated.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As a society, we certainly seem to spend an inordinate amount of time and energy being offended and indignant, and searching for things that will make us so. JMHO.
It’s called virtue signaling, and there’s God’s own amount of it going around everywhere. Everywhere. The level of contagion makes vintage 2020 Covid look like Progeria.

They're the meat people.

(And the meat is people)
I’m old enough to remember Solyent Green — the book and the movie.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
from what I understand this is like 5-10 people max who want this so it is as big an issue as al.com running a story about me wanting the KA old south party to end. It is a non thing

All that said, being Dixie's anything is nothing to be proud of, like claiming you are apartheid South Africa's pride or the third Reich's so I guess I'd be cool with changing the lyrics. It's time we all admit and stop admiring our disgustingly shameful past

Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
from what I understand this is like 5-10 people max who want this so it is as big an issue as al.com running a story about me wanting the KA old south party to end. It is a non thing

All that said, being Dixie's anything is nothing to be proud of, like claiming you are apartheid South Africa's pride or the third Reich's so I guess I'd be cool with changing the lyrics. It's time we all admit and stop admiring our disgustingly shameful past
iirc, the ka's got a decent amount of bad press for some of their crap during my first couple of years at bama.

apparently the crimson white was 35 years ahead of all of the virtue signaling rage

Reactions: Jon

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Eh this is one is more about context. The fight song uses it to say to the western elites that we can play football too. Since the west pretty much tried, and to a degree continued to try, to exclude southern teams in football. Its why the "Rose Bowl" is also in there. We have only played in the Rose Bowl game once since 1947 because of it. So unless you want to rewrite the whole song then the only sensible change would be "southern" to Dixie, in which you would have people complaining about that. Plus like the Administration found out.... When you take stuff out then you make things worse. Look at Dixieland Delight.

Reactions: rolltide_21

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From Wiki
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the origin of this nickname remains obscure. The most common theories, according to A Dictionary of Americanisms on Historical Principles (1951) by Mitford M. Mathews include the following:
  • Dixie may be derived from Jeremiah Dixon, one of the surveyors of the Mason–Dixon line, which defined the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, separating free and slave states subsequent to the Missouri Compromise.[9] Jonathan Lighter, the editor of the Historical Dictionary of American Slang, connects the terms Mason–Dixon line and Dixie via a children's game played in nineteenth century New York City.[10]
  • Dixie may have originally referred to currency issued first by the Citizens State Bank in the French Quarter of New Orleans and then by other banks in Louisiana.[11] These banks issued ten-dollar notes[12] labeled Dix on the reverse side, French for ten (French pronunciation: [dis], DEESE). The notes were known as Dixies by Southerners, and the area around New Orleans and the French-speaking parts of Louisiana came to be known as Dixieland.[1] Eventually, usage of the term broadened to refer to the Southern states in general.
  • Another suggestion is that Dixie preserves the name of Johan Dixie (sometimes spelled Dixy), a slave owner on Manhattan Island. According to a story recounted in Word Myths: Debunking Linguistic Urban Legends (2008), Dixie's slaves were later sold in the South, where they spoke of better treatment while working on Dixie's land. There is no evidence that this story is true.
🤷‍♂️ Am I missing something? 🤔

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
From Wiki

🤷‍♂️ Am I missing something? 🤔
apparently the rest of the wikipedia page

Dixie, also known as Dixieland or Dixie's Land, is a nickname for all or part of the Southern United States. While there is no official definition of this region (and the included areas shift over the years), or the extent of the area it covers, most definitions include the U.S. states below the Mason–Dixon line that seceded and comprised the Confederate States of America, almost always including the Deep South.[1] The term became popularized throughout the United States by its usage in songs nostalgically referencing the American South during the 20th century.

Reactions: Jon

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly if we are really going this route then why not revisit the Star Spangled banner and try to figure out what “slave” really meant in the context of the song. Really this argument has gone from getting rid of obvious issues with popular songs and art to subtle at best ones.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
As a society, we certainly seem to spend an inordinate amount of time and energy being offended and indignant, and searching for things that will make us so. JMHO.
“Eventually they started to build [Confederate] monuments,” he says. “The vast majority of them were built between the 1890s and 1950s, which matches up exactly with the era of Jim Crow segregation.” The war ended in 1865, yet confederate statues were still being erected 85 years later. That's an inordinate amount of time to me. I'm drawing a connection here since Dixie is associated with the confederacy and the South.

The term Dixie has a long and tortured history, and it really needs to be retired. https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/06/what-dixie-really-means/613585/

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.