Gun recommendations

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Question: If bad guy enters your house at night and you hear them from your bedroom, are you going hunting, or are you staying armed in the bedroom waiting for the police?
Like Big, I have a pinch point to defend with my family behind me and the intruders in front of me. I know where the weak points of my house are and where intruders will probably enter.

Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I sawed off the choke on a 16 gauge over/under years ago and still have it. My primary shotgun at the time was a Daly 12 gauge over/under with two interchangeable barrels, so the 16 was sort of surplus. I regret it now but it does make it a better defense weapon...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I sawed off the choke on a 16 gauge over/under years ago and still have it. My primary shotgun at the time was a Daly 12 gauge over/under with two interchangeable barrels, so the 16 was sort of surplus. I regret it now but it does make it a better defense weapon...
As long as the barrel is 18" or longer or it's registered with the ATF as an AOW (tax stamp) no problem.

If not, really no problem either, unless it's used as in a self defense shooting - though I suspect you could hand them another shotgun of the same gauge (that hadn't been cleaned after the last time you fired it) and no one would be the wiser.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As long as the barrel is 18" or longer or it's registered with the ATF as an AOW (tax stamp) no problem.

If not, really no problem either, unless it's used as in a self defense shooting - though I suspect you could hand them another shotgun of the same gauge (that hadn't been cleaned after the last time you fired it) and no one would be the wiser.
I wasn't clear. The top barrel was full and the bottom was improved cylinder. I just cut back to cylinder bore. I was miking as I went. IIRC, it was about 3", so nowhere close to 18"...

Reactions: crimsonaudio

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
well, if nothing else comes of this thread at least i know whose homes to not break into!
Not referring to you individually, but the populace in general.....that’s the whole point of the investment.

Pose no threat, and we’ll get along fine....there are very few people I won’t clink a glass with. But attempt to cross my threshold without permission, and it’s an entirely different matter.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I'll throw in a recommendation for a Canik TPSF9. Very inexpensive, as far as pistols go, at $350. Great reviews, great trigger, proven track record. It is a full-sized pistol, great for home defense. Just saw one available on an online store a couple of days ago.

If you are looking for something to carry, I can recommend the Ruger LC9S. I love mine. It's a single-stack, so 7 rounds in the mag. Extremely easy to carry and also on the less expensive side.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I saw something about a new 9mm ammo that has less over penetration than a hollow point. Can't recall what it was. Help.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.