Gus Malzahn fired (and (laughable) coaching search...)

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject:[EXTERNAL] [Fblocal] Auburn announces football coaching change

1607887944719.png
1607887944820.png
AUBURN ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
Athletics Communications
392 S. Donahue Dr. | Auburn, AL 36849
(334) 444-9800 | AuburnTigers.com

Twitter: @AUAthletics / Facebook: AuburnAthletics

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 13, 2020
For more information, Kirk Sampson, (334) 844-9800

Auburn announces football coaching change

AUBURN, Ala.—Auburn Director of Athletics Allen Greene announced Sunday a leadership change for Auburn football as Gus Malzahn will no longer direct the program. Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele will serve as interim head coach.

In eight years, Malzahn compiled a 68-35 record including a 39-27 mark in Southeastern Conference play. He led the program to an SEC Championship and BCS National Championship appearance in his first season and an SEC West title in 2017.

Greene recommended a change in the football team’s leadership to Auburn President Jay Gogue after a “thorough analysis” of the program. Gogue accepted Greene’s recommendation.

Malzahn will be paid the remainder of his contract. A national search for his replacement will begin immediately.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
And just like that, the Gus bus finally went off the cliff. He should get a tidy severance package, even if it's only the remainder of his contract.

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
Dont forget Kevin Sumlin. I hear he's available le.

I understand Auburn will owe Gus $11 mil within 30 days and another 4 spread out over 2 years. Something like that. Guess Jimmy Rane had a good year.

• Wow
Reactions: seebell

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I don’t think that I would leave Eugene if I were Cristobal.
Especially if I had ever even once heard my name mentioned as a possibility down the road in Tuscaloosa.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Unexpected imo. They have their guy already, also imo.

I’m thinking Freeze also.
This was my reaction. Didn't see it coming and I don't think they make the move unless they've got someone lined up -- and I also think it's Freeze.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
I don't see Cristobal coming to AU...he's got a sweet deal @ OU. I could see Napier...but going head to head with CNS in Alabama and in the SEC as a whole is not a great gig right now.
I was suprised Cristobal only makes $2.7 Mil; 57th in the country, considering the Nike money. Auburn would easily double that; or get Mario a BIG raise

Reactions: Padreruf

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
With them announcing “Firing” him it leads me to believe there was nothing amicable about it. They owe him 1/2 of 21 million in 30 days. This will set this program back financially for years. Yes the boosters will pay this, but in a year where there will be major financial losses, this may be hard to overcome.

CNS has processed Tubberville, Chizik, Jay Jacobs, and the Offensive “Genius” Gus. Isn’t signing day next week?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.