Had to go to Selma today

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was there the next day helping clean up. First thing I saw driving in was a Toyota pick up in the top of an oak tree. Worked with a church there in the aid. They had a member killed. She had a newborn. Left the cellar to get something from the house and it hit.
Years ago, in the deadly 1989 tornado here, I represented the owners of a cleaners at ground zero, corner of Airport Road and Whitesburg. Almost all of the employees survived by hunkering down in the back, under the heavy sorting tables. The manager, coincidentally named "Self," went to the front door to see the tornado. His wife went to get him and bring him back. They were the only two killed. The tornado actually rolled up the asphalt like a carpet...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Years ago, in the deadly 1989 tornado here, I represented the owners of a cleaners at ground zero, corner of Airport Road and Whitesburg. Almost all of the employees survived by hunkering down in the back, under the heavy sorting tables. The manager, coincidentally named "Self," went to the front door to see the tornado. His wife went to get him and bring him back. They were the only two killed. The tornado actually rolled up the asphalt like a carpet...
My former wife was leaving work at Nichols Research on the opposite hill. The tornado went over her car and took out the adjacent block along Airport Road.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My former wife was leaving work at Nichols Research on the opposite hill. The tornado went over her car and took out the adjacent block along Airport Road.
There are so many weird tales about that incident. My primary doctor at the time was blown up the hill and his car came to rest on the high power cables and then slid down to the ground. He tried to release his seat belt and found he had no use of his left arm. He ran down the hill and the policeman directing traffic commandeered a woman's car and directed her to drive him to the hospital. The car had no windshield, that having been blown out. When he got there, the surgeon described the damage to his arm and Elliot said "take it off." He's retired but still alive...

• Wow
Reactions: UAH

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I live on the NW FL coast, at least we have warning and ample time with hurricanes. I can’t imagine the amount of destruction of some of the tornadoes without having the time to prep and evac.
I was discussing the flooding/mudslides in CA with another guy on the boat. It seems there really aren’t too many areas of the country that are safe from major weather events these days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.