Happy Birthday Coach Stallings

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I"ve shared this before but it's been a while...

We got to chat with him when we lived in NYC. He was speaking at a boys foster home fundraiser on east end of Long Island that we supported and we took a 2hr train ride out there to hear him speak. This was the year after his book (Another Season) was released and I wanted to try and get it signed. There were about 1000+ people in the conference hotel ballroom. He got up to speak and about 2 minutes later they started serving everyone while banging on dishes, talking etc. As you can imagine he didn't appreciate that very much (and neither did I).

He stopped, leaned over the lectern, and yelled in his gravelly voice, "WHOAAAAAA ... WAAAAAAAAAITTTTTTT A MINUTE ... I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU YANKEES DO THINGS BUT DOWN SOUTH WE DON'T TREAT THE SPEAKER LIKE THIS. I GOT ON A PLANE AT 5AM TODAY AND HAVE BEEN THROUGH THREE AIRPORTS JUST TO GET HERE TO SPEAK TO YOU PEOPLE." It.was.awesome.

Afterward, we went up to him and told him we were from Alabama, Bama alums, and missed him being our coach. He stood up and gave me a big bear hug and said "Sure is good to see some good home folks up here!"

I reminded him of an intramural football game he came to that I had invited him to (on a dare) during the 1992 season .... that he attended (!!!) ... and he remembered going and some of the details of that game.

He is a great human being who was done very wrong by an absolutely idiotic UA president and and even bigger idiot AD. Our walk in the wilderness before Coach Saban was a direct result of their idiocy. Thankfully, we're in a different place now.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i was lucky enough to meet him briefly at my old roommate's wedding in the spring right after the 92 season. my roommate was from missouri and had a brother with downs syndrome and his parents had been put in touch with coach stallings on one of their visits and they ended up keeping in touch with the stallings and getting to know them and john mark.

he was a super nice man to meet and was larger than life.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.