Harsin and Auburn Drama (Auburn coaching situation talk)

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
All this does not matter anyway, Auburn is having a great year in basketball. So they are now like Kentucky, Ucla, Unc, Duke..... you know a basketball blue blood. At least through orange and blue shades they are anyway. Maybe Pearl can coach football, I mean he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
"

1) It's amusing to watch the primary concern being "how them Bama folks gonna react"

2) That was in 2003. That's 19 years and three Presidents ago. If "well 2003" is any kind of argument, well, let's look at what happened AFTER Price and AT Auburn
a) Jetgate
b) Tuberville either getting fired or resigning when a booster allegedly called Houston Nutt to inquire about his availability and was too dumb to know Nutt and Tubs had the same agent, the story then being "he resigned, but out of the goodness of our hearts, we're gonna pay his buyout"
c) hiring a guy who went 5-19 at Iowa St and getting accused of racial discrimination in hiring by no less than Charles Barkley, who isn't the kind to make that accusation as a tactic
d) firing the 5-19 guy after a national championship and only four seasons
e) hiring a guy who only got into college ball in the first place because the coach at Arkansas wanted his QB, and who never showed much advanacement beyond backyard trick plays and hurry up offense
f) getting held hostage by same mediocrity to fork over a 7-year, $49M contract out of fear he might go "back" to Arkansas
g) getting a 23-15 record right after that contract got signed and firing that guy
h) hiring someone well down the list as head coach and the mess we've seen the last year

3) As far as the clueless QB, let's compare records using cherry picked Auburn math:
a) Malzahn on field last 38 games: 23-15
b) Shula on field last 38 games: 22-16

When you consider we didn't pay this guy $7 million a year, he had far more obstacles than Malzahn, and that includes one season where his starting QB missed almost the whole year and another where his best receiver missed 3/4 of the year, there's a compelling argument that that clueless former QB is a better offensive football coach than the high school genius.

Yes, Auburn, we've had some of the same problems that seem inherent in college football as an entity that you have, that's true. Boosters and fans wanting to run the program and folks in positions of power without the backbone to do the right thing.

But going with "almost 20 years ago Alabama had all these problems" as a defense for this past several days is ludicrous and pretends this hasn't been a problem continually over that same time frame.
And Bama fans are accused by Aubruun fans of “living in the past”…..

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…

ahah!!!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Harsin may indeed be a jerk but I still think he has the upper hand in this, along with plenty of money to support himself and his family through a protracted legal fight. Publicly, he appears to be holding firm, because he knows that in the end he’s going to get paid a substantial amount of money. Your move, Auburn.

Reactions: seebell

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw - in my post I completely forgot to mention that in the fall of 2003 AFTER the season began, Terry Bowden was questioned on ABC at halftime regarding his admission to knowing players were paid and the "ledger" to which Matt Hayes refers in TX Bama's post.

Hayes's article is splendid because he's right on all counts.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Yes, I am always amused when some guy with 20k posts on a hunting forum brags about staying away from social media??

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In my opinion this entire situation is still carryover from the Gus firing. From what I recall some folks wanted him gone and some didn’t….so there’s one point of contention within the fan base/boosters. Then there is a hard push from one faction of the fan base/boosters to elevate Steele into the HC role, but that doesn’t happen. Then a few folks turned the job down, with Napier being at least one of those that turned it down. If I remember correctly it took a few weeks maybe even a month for them to finally settle on Harsin, which couldn’t have been a more random choice.
Gus was fired on December 13, 2020, and they announced Harsin on December 22, not an unreasonable amount of time given Covid restrictions et al at the time.

The randomness of him being hired tells me that either they didn’t have a plan when they fired Gus or the person or persons that was part of their plan turned them down…So the whole situation revolves around a fractured fan base/group of boosters that were never on the same page to begin with, starting with the decision of what to do with Gus. At the end of the day the whole situation just shines a bright light on the terrible culture and booster in-fighting that has been in place at auburn for as long as most of us can remember. I love it!
I think overall, though, you're largely correct. Harsin became "best guy on our list after all the higher choices turned us down or took other jobs." And to be fair, you need a plan in place not done under the duress in which they did it. Most coaches nowadays are too slick to say, "Yeah, if you fire your coach, I'll come there," particularly since one almost always has to say this risking the allegation of tampering or contract violation. Of course, that's where agents come in and suggest it, but they're doing it for themselves, not the school.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.