Has anyone used Windows 11?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Has anyone upgraded to Windows 11? Thoughts on it ? I keep getting notices that I can get a free upgrade to Windows 11, but have not took the leap.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I've never used it, and am running 10. A well-respected computer doctor here in Tuscaloosa recently warned me not to "upgrade" due to some features that give Microsoft control over your files, including encryption.

Applying to offers far beyond Win 11, most of the time when someone wants to give you something for free, the real product is you.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Just loaded Linux Mint onto a Dell Laptop that just would not operate with Windows 10 bloatware. Spent two years with Dell after adding memory attempting to get it to operate. It was a task to overcome the barriers of the Intel chip set but finally made it work. There is so much wrong with Windows. I would prefer to never have it on my equipment.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The first time I converted to windows 11, my computer crashed in one week. I waited a while before I tried it again. I would certainly back up all my important files. I use Windows 11, Linux Mint, and an older Chromebox (which is the fastest for just browsing). If I only had one choice I would choose Linux Mint. I prefer Libre Office to Word. There are loads of free Linux programs and a new version of Linux comes out about twice a year. The best part it is free!

Reactions: UAH

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My office is upgrading to Windows 11. I have been chosen to be the guinea pig and have been using it this week. Not bad, but I absolutely hate the rounded corners of the windows.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I've never used it, and am running 10. A well-respected computer doctor here in Tuscaloosa recently warned me not to "upgrade" due to some features that give Microsoft control over your files, including encryption.

Applying to offers far beyond Win 11, most of the time when someone wants to give you something for free, the real product is you.
Microsoft doesn't have control over your files or encryption. The only "control" (which I'm not sure what your computer doctor meant) that MS has over encryption is it will save your recovery keys in your Microsoft account for easier retrieval if ever needed, instead of having to write it down somewhere. If you lose the recovery keys or can't access your MS account, there is nothing MS can do and you are out of luck. here is basic info on the 2 types of encryption in Windows: Difference between Device Encryption and BitLocker (thewindowsclub.com)

Windows 11 is only free for those upgrading from a supported device with Windows 10. Essentially you are using your valid Windows 10 license to validate 11. Otherwise, like custom builds, you still have to purchase a license; $139 for Home, $199 for Pro.

I upgraded to Windows 11 they day it was released back in October of 2021. I haven't had any issues and it has always felt faster than Windows 10. I'd recommend it to anyone with supported hardware.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm running it on a vm at work. It is a true upgrade over 10, which in itself has been one of Microsoft's better offerings. I still use a 10 vm as my main workhorse.

At home, my wife uses 11, while I run various flavors of Linux.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.