Has Mike Shula visited Alabama in any capacity since being let go?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
A good friend and his son bumped into Shula a couple of years ago and his son who was 12 at the time said "hey coach". Mike's response was "I'm sorry your a BAMA fan" and walked off. The kid had on a BAMA hat. I understand he was hurt he was fired but, IMO didn't have to say what he did.

I may be in the minority but, I think had Shula gone out a got a capable QB coach/OC and listened to Mal Moore, he could've had success. That said, I'm damn glad he didn't!
Had he said that to my kid I would've told him "Not as sorry as us fans that you were our HC"..Even though I would regret saying that, but, he should never ever do a kid that way..

Reactions: We_are_Bama

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Re: Has Mike Shula visited to bailma in any capacity since being let go?

Mike chose to distance himself from UA in the manner Salman Rushdie distanced himself from isla m
I missed the part where Mal Moore called for a fatwa against Shula

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A good friend and his son bumped into Shula a couple of years ago and his son who was 12 at the time said "hey coach". Mike's response was "I'm sorry your a BAMA fan" and walked off. The kid had on a BAMA hat. I understand he was hurt he was fired but, IMO didn't have to say what he did.

I may be in the minority but, I think had Shula gone out a got a capable QB coach/OC and listened to Mal Moore, he could've had success. That said, I'm damn glad he didn't!
Completely typical of his personality. One of the few humans towards whom I have no good thoughts, period...

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Could we please quit specializing in myths that have no basis in reality??????
Please name the long list of coaches that were beating the door down to come to Bama during that time. I would love to see your list, because I can't remember any after the strip club. And it is a pretty well known fact he never was on campus before or after.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Completely typical of his personality. One of the few humans towards whom I have no good thoughts, period...
I was in the suite next to Mal's during the MSU game, he made it clear they were going to find a new coach after that game. I remember about 50 people looking out their suites after he stormed off.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was in the suite next to Mal's during the MSU game, he made it clear they were going to find a new coach after that game. I remember about 50 people looking out their suites after he stormed off.
At that point, he had already ignored orders to the effect of having to replace his OC and his OL coach as a condition of continued employment...

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Couldn't be further from the truth.
Like I responded to the other guy, please give us with your list of coaches who wanted the job during that time in order? Shula was like the last choice who accepted the job on short notice. One day no coach would return a call and then Shula shows up the next. Believe me, I know that's how it was.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Please name the long list of coaches that were beating the door down to come to Bama during that time. I would love to see your list, because I can't remember any after the strip club. And it is a pretty well known fact he never was on campus before or after.
His antipathy toward the program since his departure really has nothing to do with the circumstances surrounding his hiring. This list, as I recall it then, was Coach Croom, Coach Richard Williamson, and Coach Shula (with perhaps the possibility of Coach Stallings returning on strictly an interim basis). Many thought his hiring made sense, some didn't, and that is totally different subject.

Unless a coach leaves a program in total disgrace (which wasn't exactly the case here), usually the coach will come back to campus (at least in anniversary/reunion years with his players) and will be warmly received, even if he was let go. Especially if it was an alum. But, unfortunately, that may never be the case here (even though it has been 10 years). I'm sure Coach Saban's program isn't his first choice to come and study offense in the offseason or to scout a Pro Day.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Name the teams willing to pay Shula a million to come coach their team? See below, sorry.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If you were making $200,000, year to year contract, and someone came to you ans said, we will pay you $800,000 with a guarantee of up to $ 5 million for 4 years of service, would you believe you were making a sacrifice?

I like Mike, he is one of us, but that he made some sort of sacrifice is one of the biggest misconceptions in Bama history. If not for a lack of team discipline he would have been given a 5th year. His father sold stakes meals at $100 a pop in B'HAM. You want to see the opposite of Shula, look at hos USC treated Lane on probation. Shula made more money while coaching 4 years than 95% of us will make in a lifetime of work. Goodness.

Mike had been demoted the past 3 years in the NFL. He was let go as an OC 1996-1999, and was picked up as a QB coach by guess who? Miami Dolphins. And then is presented the head coaching job at Bama. He gained monetarily and experience with his 4 years at the Capstone. Just like he was absent from the games after his playing career, he would not have come if not for quadrupling his salary and it being a much much better job than a position coach at your daddy's team.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Look, Mike did the best he could. It was the Bama administration that launched him into the Peter Principle not Mike himself. He was never qualified for the job and should have never been put in the position. He did steady the ship and keep us out of trouble which is why he was hired I guess. Other than that he did inspire a Shula Steakhouse at the Galleria to open...which I've never been.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Look, Mike did the best he could. It was the Bama administration that launched him into the Peter Principle not Mike himself. He was never qualified for the job and should have never been put in the position. He did steady the ship and keep us out of trouble which is why he was hired I guess. Other than that he did inspire a Shula Steakhouse at the Galleria to open...which I've never been.
.I always suspected he got the job because of Pedigree, potential. His brother David fizzled as a head coach but he was Don Shula's son, and was a coach in the NFL. and was our starting quarterback. Mal gambles that he would "grow" into the job, but it was apparent towards the the end of his 4th season that this was not the case.

It was surprising to me that many did not realize the attractiveness of the Bama job on probation vs off probation, which is night and day. It seems that Mike Riley might have been in the running at this time, who I wanted, but it is so long ago that may have been during the Price hiring. But I do know that 95% of position coaches making $100,000 or so thousand a year at that time would have taken the job. You cannot compare them against up and coming head coaches, who did steer away from the job. We were radioactive. But it paid well and Mal was a good boss.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Mike was clutch, and for all I think of him not being HC coaching material, I will always admire him as a player. This is clutch. The drive set up the kick.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am continually amazed at the regularity of the various flavors of Shula threads that pop up. They devolve into the same discussion each and every time.

Better to beat a dead horse than a live one?

Good off season thread, I agree.:)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Better to beat a dead horse than a live one?

Good off season thread, I agree.:)
It was a decent off season topic the first few years, but what amounts to probably a thread per quarter for 10 years is just baffling to me.

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It was a decent off season topic the first few years, but what amounts to probably a thread per quarter for 10 years is just baffling to me.

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner
I have been here with you brother. I get duped in every time. The last time for me!

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I have nothing but respect for Coach Shula cause he will always be part of the Bama Folklore..He did exactly what he was hired to do & lead us through the NCAA sanctions..It just seemed to me recruiting wasn't something he enjoyed & that's not good when you're a college HC..He's a NFL typs coach like his Dad & that's all good..I hope he gets a shot as a NFL HC cause I do think he'd do well as a NFL HC & has the pedigree for it in all honesty..JMHO
Respectfully, I disagree on the basis that if he had, Mal Moore certainly would not have fired him.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Respectfully, I disagree on the basis that if he had, Mal Moore certainly would not have fired him.
Mike obtained a position that he would have never received if not for probation, in his wildest dreams. He was given the opportunity to grow into the job, and I believe never expected anything other than improvement in his coaching abilities. It was a hard gig. Because of probation we recruited many 4 star players that were passed over because of, imo, character questions. That seemed to be be the case when Coach Saban took over. But there was a mix of players that were full of Alabama too, 3 star players with heart, and a few diamonds in the rough, like GMAC Maze, Smith, Arenas, Prothro and more. But til this day I still believe the best team he fielded was game #1 against Oklahoma, which was still partially a Fran team in mentality. He just did not improve. The worst imo, was the lack of quality at the QB position when Brody would go down. It was horrible. And this was his supposed strength.

But not being head coaching material does not make you a bad person. He handed off a clean team to Coach Saban, with a few trouble makers, but clean. That was a huge task, and some of his recruits were leaders on the 2009 NC team.