Have Alabama and UGA Swapped Places From Five Or So Years Ago?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just interested in how the board feels about the current state of affairs in the SEC.
While UGA fans walk around like roosters, their success came at a time when, for some reason known but to Saban, Bama was dragging the anchor of Bill O'Brien and Pete Golding around. I have no idea why Coach Saban demands players act like a champion in everything they do, yet accepted these two fugitives from competence putting such a mediocre product on the field year after year.
UGA was the main beneficiary of that decision.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I’m not sure this answers your question, but GA is the premier team/program in the country right now.

They dethroned us two years ago and followed that up with a completely dominant season and second straight national title.

They are the odds on favorite to win it all again this year, whereas it’s reasonable to consider us as a possible playoff contender.

It’s GA’s world right now.

Makes me want to puke, but it is what it is.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I’m not sure this answers your question, but GA is the premier team/program in the country right now.

They dethroned us two years ago and followed that up with a completely dominant season and second straight national title.

They are the odds on favorite to win it all again this year, whereas it’s reasonable to consider us as a possible playoff contender.

We dethroned ourselves with mistakes we made. They look like the same team they have always been under Kirby before 2021. We are the ones who changed, not them. The good news is Saban has seemed to recognize this and is taken action to fix it.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
It depends on how you define "place." If place is:
  • Reigning national champion, yes
  • Multiple titles in a recent short span, yes
  • Winner of most recent head-to-head with Alabama, yes
  • Continued excellence over time despite player and coordinator turnover, no
All of these things except the final one described Clemson in 2019. Now they're a train wreck. I am not saying UGa can't supplant Alabama (and sooner or later it is historically almost certain that someone will). UGa is (are? I kid I kid) as close to doing so as anyone has been, but they haven't fully done so until both they meet the final criterion AND we fail to continue to meet it. The next couple of seasons will be critical in that determination...

EDIT - Okay, it isn't fair to say Clemson is a train wreck (other than at QB); more accurate to say they've won only one major postseason game (and no titles) since beating us in January 2019, whereas we've done much better...

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

You can say dominant but they very well could have lost to Mizzou and they should have lost to OSU last year. If OSU makes that FG as time expired this would not be a thread.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
We dethroned ourselves with mistakes we made. They look like the same team they have always been under Kirby before 2021. We are the ones who changed, not them. The good news is Saban has seemed to recognize this and is taken action to fix it.
Please don’t do that. Give them their props and their (earned on the field) respect so that our fan base doesn’t sound like all of the other fan bases. We’re all better than that.

Like it or not ( and I don’t)…they’ve earned it by being the best.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Pete Goldschläger was a poor hire. Saban thought he had another Kirby to mentor but Petey has lost his way. Great recruiter but can't call a defense and apparently can't even run a decent practice.
The thing is, Pete would a few times look like he turned a corner only to let us down. I also think Saban wanted consistency on staff. especially with All the insane stuff that has happened in the last 5 years. (covid shut down, NIL, Transfer portal). I think that may have prolonged Petes stay here.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Please don’t do that. Give them their props and their (earned on the field) respect so that our fan base doesn’t sound like all of the other fan bases. We’re all better than that.

Like it or not ( and I don’t)…they’ve earned it by being the best.
Don't do what???
I didn't not give them their props. They took advantage of our mistakes. I am not talking about the 2021 national title game; I am talking about the mistakes we have made as a program. Good for them, that's what they should do as a rival program. I just find it puke inducing when fans talk about them like they are unbeatable. when Alabama literally beat them by 3 scores two out of the last three times, they have played Georgia.

I'll give them their props, but I am not kissing any rings.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
You can say dominant but they very well could have lost to Mizzou and they should have lost to OSU last year. If OSU makes that FG as time expired this would not be a thread.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Same could be said for us the year we were on the outside looking in only to be saved by Okie State soiling the sheets. They win that game and we don't even get a shot.

It’s not uncommon for great teams to have close shaves or need help to win titles.

Back to back champs and entering the new season as the undisputed #1 team.

They are the top team over the last 2 seasons.

To me it’s not really even debatable.

Reactions: Jay Hughes

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Don't do what???
I didn't not give them their props. They took advantage of our mistakes. I am not talking about the 2021 national title game; I am talking about the mistakes we have made as a program. Good for them, that's what they should do as a rival program. I just find it puke inducing when fans talk about them like they are unbeatable. when Alabama literally beat them by 3 scores two out of the last three times, they have played Georgia.

I'll give them their props, but I am not kissing any rings.
I don’t recall anyone saying they are unbeatable.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I don’t recall anyone saying they are unbeatable.
I have heard it, not on here but I have heard it. Thats probably why I had such a strong reaction to your post. I have never liked the king metaphor in college football. Even when we are on top.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
All due respect but they would not have the success they have seen if there were in the Western Division. We remain far superior in so many ways. Once the conference gets rearranged they will struggle with two loss seasons on a regular basis.

Reactions: dathbama

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
We’ve won what 6 titles over the last 15 years. Georgia has won 2 over 40 years. If we go another 7-8 years not winning a title with a 1-7 record against Georgia, and they pile the championships up during that period I’ll say we flipped. Until then they are just another Clemson or lsu.

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
I would love to see them end up like Florida and Meyer. Won 2 titles in 3 years and then we made their hero cry on the sidelines in the sec championship game and they never recovered.
Not to say they will take the Florida route quite frankly it’s unlikely but man would it be sweet to watch that arrogant fan base have to eat that humble pie

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.