Having a hard time understanding the narrative against Mac Jones and the athletic QB requirement

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Okay what did he do the other 7 games? He was mostly mediocre vs mediocre competition. Let’s not pretend Ohio St drew monsters in their big 10 draw. Fields is by far the most unproven quarterbacks in the draft. One game doesn’t change that truth.
So you’re going to ignore 2019? 51 total TDs, 3 ints? He’s very much proven and he only had 2 bad games in 2020.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So you’re going to ignore 2019? 41 TDs, 3 ints? And he only had 2 bad games in 2020.
No I’m just pointing out that he didn’t play against anyone that really screams “great quarterback”.

He played 4 teams with a pulse last year (Bama, Clemson, Indiana, and NW). He played like crap in 3 of those.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
And the absolutely crazy thing is there is currently an article on ESPN.com about Justin Fields being stereotyped and being "talked down" leading up to the draft in favor of Mac Jones. LOL!

So you've got one crowd who thinks Mac Jones is being "talked down" and wrongly criticized while Fields and the rest of the QB's are being praised and another crowd who feel Mac Jones is being elevated and Fields is being discredited due to a stereotype being applied to him. This world is crazy!!!!
I saw that nonsense. Absolute garbage. People have lobotomized their brains. Did it not just come out that Fields has been dealing with an issue causing seizures? Could that not be why he's dropping down the board?

Reactions: AlexanderFan

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Now the narrative is number of games started. Trey Lance and Mac did not start that many games. Are they seriously that stupid? How many games did Fields start again? The answer is 22 and Mac started 17, so their logic apparently is those extra 5 games were just huge experience.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Now the narrative is number of games started. Trey Lance and Mac did not start that many games. Are they seriously that stupid? How many games did Fields start again? The answer is 22 and Mac started 17, so their logic apparently is those extra 5 games were just huge experience.
well we still have people that honestly believe that Lamar Jackson is a top 10 quarterback. We also still have people believe that Jamie’s Winston could’ve won a Super Bowl last year with the Bucs. The NFL is built on dumb narratives and arguments.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
So you’re going to ignore 2019? 51 total TDs, 3 ints? He’s very much proven and he only had 2 bad games in 2020.
He had 3 bad games in 2020, which is 3 more than Mac had. Mac had some bad plays sprinkled through the year, Fields had bad games.

I get why people would want Fields over Mac. Fields can do things Mac can't. But on the other hand, Mac does things Fields doesn't - make terrible throws and get picked off.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Seems like DeVonta is getting the devalue treatment as well.................how is Ja'Marr Chase a better WR?

Chase was really good in 2019, but we have no idea if he has kept up with working out since he chose to opt out and there was no combine.

I will be glad when the draft is over. I am tired of all the talk. Unfortunately we will have a couple of weeks of talk after the draft.

Reactions: TiderJack and Con

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Seems like DeVonta is getting the devalue treatment as well.................how is Ja'Marr Chase a better WR?
I don't necessarily agree with all of it but the arguments for Chase over Smitty are basically....

1. Chase dominated at significantly younger age than Smitty. (age of WRs tends to matter but not always, Ridley was an older WR)

2. Chase is physically more dominate and he manhandled guys like Trevon Diggs while only being 19 and Diggs was about to go to the NFL.

3. Smitty is really light for a WR in the NFL. Most WRs with similar weights haven't been very good in the NFL or have had injury issues.

Again, I don't agree with all of it. Smitty is a better route runner and his weight has rarely been an issue for him in college. Dude just won the Heisman and dominated almost every game.

I can see an argument for any of the top 3 WRs (Smitty, Waddle, Chase) being WR#1 in this draft IMO.

Reactions: Relayer and Con

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Agree to disagree. LSU stunk last year. In no world, even as good as we were last year, should we have been able to curb stomp them at home like we did. They may have players with great star ratings, but they have zero leadership from the HC down to the waterboys.
Chase opted out last year. He did not even play. He is a quitter.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I am trying to understand how Mac Jones became the devil on social media.

Did you know that Mac Jone had 24 dui’s, ate babies, is a racist and has anger issues (blue font)

and if anyone thinks I am overly exaggerating I literally have seen people call him a racist for some picture of him with a Obama mask on or something that his sister posted in 2012. Oh and even if that was him he was 12 or 13 when it happened. And also people have said he has “anger issues” because he got mad in competition or something. I Don’t get it. I don’t have to tear. Justin fields down to root for Mac Jones. Why do people care so much if one guy makes 7.4 million and the other make 7.2 million???

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Did you know that Mac Jone had 24 dui’s, ate babies, is a racist and has anger issues (blue font)

and if anyone thinks I am overly exaggerating I literally have seen people call him a racist for some picture of him with a Obama mask on or something that his sister posted in 2012. Oh and even if that was him he was 12 or 13 when it happened. And also people have said he has “anger issues” because he got mad in competition or something. I Don’t get it. I don’t have to tear. Justin fields down to root for Mac Jones. Why do people care so much if one guy makes 7.4 million and the other make 7.2 million???
You just don't know. Justin Fields can walk on water, heal the sick and turn water to wine. Wait that may be Jesus. I will have to ask Facebook or Twitter.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Part of the answer has nothing to do with Mac and more to do with historical biases in the NFL around Black QBs and the way they have been discussed. I don't want to push this to Non-Sports but that is where some of this angst over the idea of Mac going before Fields and Lance is coming from.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well... let’s just say that many see SF as a quarterback away from a SB, and they want the Tom Brady quarterback to go the way of the dodo.

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaInBham

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.