Having a hard time understanding the narrative against Mac Jones and the athletic QB requirement

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The point I don't buy - and I don't remember if he made it or some other inane commentator - was that he needed a "red shirt" year and they'd remodel his body. He's going to look the same in a year. He's a "hard gainer," and he's never going to look like a Greek god, any more than Brady does. He works hard now in the gym. There's all this talk about his weight. He wears more rib padding than most. I guess most of the "commentators" never wore it...
Like I said earlier there is a deliberate attempt to try to kill the pocket passer in the NFL. But once the NFL franchises start realizing how stupid that is then they will probably over correct the system.

Right now the RB position is more important than the quarterback position in most offenses. Yet all we hear is how great people like Mahomes, Rodgers, and Jackson are. Mahomes has really played poorly in most of his championship games. Really if it wasn’t for Damien Williams they lose 54 vs the 49ers, but the media just showers Mahomes with praise. But I guarantee you that had Brady thrown 2 picks in a SB win then these same morons would be saying “ Well it’s his defense and offensive line that won the game”.

My point is that football is and always will be a team sport. No quarterback is going to single handily win a SB despite what the media says. But they can single handily destroy the chances of a great team by trying too much or getting injured. Taking risks on these athletic quarterbacks has not had a great track record compared to a more traditional quarterback.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I'm not even sure that's true...... Mac can Fling it.

But even IF Cam has the stronger arm he's missing so many other components that he's found wanting overall next to Mac.

All anybody needs to know about Cam is 1 Play from SB 50 where he fumbled the ball and instead of trying to recover it he flutter foot danced around like a ballerina and got out of the way while the Broncos recovered the ball.

I can't think of any Alabama QB ever that wouldn't try and dive on a fumbled ball right there in front of them. In fact didn't Tua injure his hand in a Spring practice trying to recover a loose ball??

I'm shocked Cam is even on the Patriots team tbh with the way he's shown himself to be such a prima donna.

Mac is going to become the Starter in NE real fast and I won't be even remotely shocked if he wins ROTY and eclipses Herbert's season from last year.

Meanwhile Lance won't even play for SF this year and Lawrence will be getting lit up playing for the Jaguars.

I think both Fields and Zac Wilson have a chance to have good careers if they aren't forced into action too soon.
On that fumble play where Scam avoided the ball, somewhere I saw a GIF of that play where a giant spider entered the scene and that's when Scam shied away. I thought it was hilarious. I'm surprised no one posted that GIF after reading this post by 'Tusks_n_Raider'.
ROLL TIDE!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Right now the RB position is more important than the quarterback position in most offenses.
Idk about the rest of your post but this is definitely not true.

You could maybe argue your offensive system/play calling is more important than the QB but no way is RB more important.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Idk about the rest of your post but this is definitely not true.

You could maybe argue your offensive system/play calling is more important than the QB but no way is RB more important.
Mahomes has had two subpar Super Bowls... what are the two differences that decided super bowl loser and winner?

Last edited:

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Well as they say 'The Proof Is In The Puddin'...
If SCam can make it through the coming year without an injury, then I think Mac will SURPRISE quite a few 'EXPERTS'...
Face it Tua hasn't exactly torn up the field or airways down in the fishpond, and everyone was heaping all kinds of platitudes on him!
I still think Tua will be a darn good QB for them but face it without an O-Line there just ain't a QB, Tom Brady included, that's gonna win much of anything!
Oh and even Tommy boy needed the Buc's running game!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
in the last 5 years only once did the winning team of the Super Bowl that didn’t have a running back or group of running back group of running backs didn’t combine for 100 yards rushing. Super Bowl 51

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
in the last 5 years only once did the winning team of the Super Bowl that didn’t have a running back or group of running back group of running backs didn’t combine for 100 yards rushing. Super Bowl 51
That may be true, but it doesn't mean the RB position is "more important." Where RBs are drafted these days plus the shifting run/pass ratio shows the decreasing importance of that position, which has declined to a "keep them honest" position...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That may be true, but it doesn't mean the RB position is "more important." Where RBs are drafted these days plus the shifting run/pass ratio shows the decreasing importance of that position, which has declined to a "keep them honest" position...
What I’m getting at is that without a solid running back these offenses and video game quarterback are DOA. Look at Baltimore. When they had Ingram healthy and starting Lamar looked unstoppable, now his offense is basically Gus Malzhan’s offense without a running back.

Teams ain’t winning a Super bowl without a strong running game, but it’s been proven time and again that you can without a quarterback.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Running games definitely matter(or can, I think you can win the super bowl with different formulas). I'm much less convinced RBs matter all that much.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Speaking of RB's, Najee maybe the prototype of the future. Not only does he run the ball, but he is excellent at receiving too. He averaged 9.9 yards/rec last year and 4 TD's. Basically you have another receiver in the back field who can block or run the ball. The Stealers should be drawing new plays to utilize NJ's abilities.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Well as they say 'The Proof Is In The Puddin'...
If SCam can make it through the coming year without an injury, then I think Mac will SURPRISE quite a few 'EXPERTS'...
Face it Tua hasn't exactly torn up the field or airways down in the fishpond, and everyone was heaping all kinds of platitudes on him!
I still think Tua will be a darn good QB for them but face it without an O-Line there just ain't a QB, Tom Brady included, that's gonna win much of anything!
Brady's defense held Kansas City to 9 points in the Super Bowl. That is the most important factor in the outcome of the game.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Brady's defense held Kansas City to 9 points in the Super Bowl. That is the most important factor in the outcome of the game.
San Francisco basically did the same exact thing to Mahomes the year before. They had a 2 score advantage over KC going into the 4th and were teeing off on Mahomes and making him make a lot of mistakes. It was basically the same matchup two years in a row the two differences:

1) Brady isn’t Jimmy G
2) Mahomes didn’t have a running game.

Reactions: Con and BamaBuc

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Read Jess' draft review. He thinks Lance is the better QB for Shanahan's offense, just as Mac is for Belichick's. There's nothing for anyone to to be upset about here...
We all know JessN is coming from an unbiased perspective when he reviews these things. It's more just the inane narratives and mental contortions from self-appointed "draft experts" that attempt to de-value Mac and what he brings to an NFL offense that can be irritating. I agree that Mac is right where he needs to be and should flourish in NE. The fact that there's an opportunity for him to beat out 2 ex-Aub QB's (particularly Cam N) is just sauce for the goose. Those clowns will be the first to sing Mac's praises if he succeeds (without admitting they were wrong, of course).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Reminder - sportswriters are generally just guessing.

View attachment 16281
TBF we have quite a few on here that has proclaimed the end of the dynasty after games like the Ohio St Sugar Bowl and Clemson games. Atleast Wolken gets paid to write a controversial opinion.

I feel much worse than in 2016. That game could have gone either way. Yesterday Bama was beaten every which way at every position and on the sideline too. Saban suffered a loss unlike any he has ever had at Alabama in the most important game.

This wasn’t of those “We’ll get ‘em next time” games. This was a paradigm shifting game.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
San Francisco basically did the same exact thing to Mahomes the year before. They had a 2 score advantage over KC going into the 4th and were teeing off on Mahomes and making him make a lot of mistakes. It was basically the same matchup two years in a row the two differences:

1) Brady isn’t Jimmy G
2) Mahomes didn’t have a running game.
Nobody blows a lead like Shanahan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.