News Article: HC cycle revolved around the SEC — past, present and perhaps future.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
There were seven new hires made in the Power 5 and eight in the Group of 5. There are four new coaches in the SEC, including Tennessee's Josh Heupel, Auburn's Bryan Harsin, Vanderbilt's Clark Lea and South Carolina's Shane Beamer. Four former SEC coaches also took new jobs. That group is Illinois' Bret Bielema, Arkansas State's Butch Jones, UL-Monroe's Terry Bowden and UCF's Gus Malzahn. The Malzahn hire filled the last vacancy in this year's cycle, at least for now.

Bryan Harsin, Auburn
Harsin led Boise State to three Mountain West Conference championships, and the 44-year-old coach is making the move up after compiling a 69-19 record with the Broncos. He levels up with Auburn, and the challenges of a first-time Power 5 coach in the SEC West are daunting. Keep in mind that Gus Malzahn won three Iron Bowls in eight seasons against Alabama. Harsin deserves a fair chance, but he will need to prove it on the recruiting trail first.

Gus Malzhan, UCF
This is a big-name hire for UCF, and Malzahn should be able to maintain — and probably add to — the success that Scott Frost and Heupel have had in the American Athletic Conference. Malzahn was 68-35 at Auburn and led the Tigers to a BCS championship appearance in 2013. The Tigers averaged 39.5 points per game that season, a standard that will be expected with UCF in the American Athletic Conference. It's a great hire for the Knights, one that other SEC schools will be watching closely.

Meet the first-year FBS coaches for 2021: SEC shuffle continues across Power 5, Group of 5 | Sporting News

Throw in Tater Tot at ULM and Butch Jones at Arkansas St and we have some close to home situations which are very interesting. ULM is at rock bottom. Arkansas St and Auburn are on a downward trend. It is going to bear watching to see which one strikes gold first. To doubt Bowden will improve ULM since up is the only direction they can go.

Reactions: DrollTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would almost be willing to bet that the SEC has been the prime mover the last 25-30 years or more (and probably the Big Ten prior to around 1980 or 1985).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Assuming Gus does well at UCF over the next 3-4 years, or sooner, I could see him resurfacing in the SEC again, this time at Arkansas.
Maybe he makes it in Florida, but he just seems destined to go back to NW Arkansas. I thought he messed up a couple of years ago when he was "supposedly" being targeted by Whoo Pig.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Illinois is a bottom feeder at present so he has his work cut out for him there. Leaving Wisc was a case of the grass is not always greener.
Well having been both places, the grass is DEFINITELY greener in Arky than in Wisky - except maybe in the summer months.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
Though I do not care for him and think he is rated too well among the powers that be, I think the Gus Bus will do well at UCF. Its a mid-major and his style will fool many of his opponents for a while.

I still think he is pompous for no real reason though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.