Health Issues/Prayer Requests

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Friends,
About 1 ½ years ago I had surgery for a plasmacytoma and compression fracture of the L4 vertebrae. However, I did not have full blown Multiple Myeloma -- which you normally do with a tumor like that one. 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and that was confirmed today after a bone marrow biopsy a little over a week ago. I will be having chemo treatments for 3 months and then bone marrow/stem cell transplant. I'll be out of commission for a good while, but will hopefully be healthy in a year to a year and a half. MM is not curable, but it is controllable if all goes well.

So, no golf and little face to face interaction with people during the stages when my bone marrow is wiped out. I'll probably show up here more often -- if you have any book or movie recommendations, put them on the appropriate threads as I will be checking those regularly.

Thanks for all my friends/acquaintances on Tidefans. Looking forward to many more Championship celebrations...although I'm not too sold on this team right now! I've been a follower of the Tide since 1959 -- not going to give up just yet!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Friends,
About 1 ½ years ago I had surgery for a plasmacytoma and compression fracture of the L4 vertebrae. However, I did not have full blown Multiple Myeloma -- which you normally do with a tumor like that one. 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and that was confirmed today after a bone marrow biopsy a little over a week ago. I will be having chemo treatments for 3 months and then bone marrow/stem cell transplant. I'll be out of commission for a good while, but will hopefully be healthy in a year to a year and a half. MM is not curable, but it is controllable if all goes well.

So, no golf and little face to face interaction with people during the stages when my bone marrow is wiped out. I'll probably show up here more often -- if you have any book or movie recommendations, put them on the appropriate threads as I will be checking those regularly.

Thanks for all my friends/acquaintances on Tidefans. Looking forward to many more Championship celebrations...although I'm not too sold on this team right now! I've been a follower of the Tide since 1959 -- not going to give up just yet!
sorry to hear that padre. god's peace and best of luck with the treatments.

Bidgoodman

BamaNation Citizen
May 4, 2013
Friends,

Padre,
You certainly have my prayers today and going forward. Take care of yourself and may you have peace during this fight.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Friends,

PADRERUF... I'm gonna miss you. Your Post have been clear and on the money. Get well Soon.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Just an update -- had chemo yesterday:
3 different shots & 1 Major pill -- revlimid.14 pills (1x day) cost 10,000+ -- thank God for insurance and LLS.org who picked up my co-pay of 3000.
Then I had 15 pills for support,

Great news is I feel fantastic. The dexamethasone is a steroid and has me really pumped up. I haven't felt this good in over 2 years. Keep those prayers coming...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
2nd round yesterday -- 16 pills and 5 shots...Since my white blood cells will not produce Covid antibodies, I received 2 rather large needles of antibodies -- one in each side of my butt. I must say that those hurt!! The others are in the stomach and are nothing...I am fortunate in that other than some mild stomach/gut issues I am fine.

My wife had shoulder replacement surgery yesterday...I will pick her up today. The doctor said her shoulder was really bad...lots of spurs, etc. Pray for me...I'll be on nurse duty for a number of days now!!!

Can you tell I am really bored? Cannot play golf and the upper reaches of Nicol are coming through today and tomorrow. I'm just glad we're not in the path like South Florida. Praying for them...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Dr appointment today -- all my numbers look great and the cancer markers are retreating!!

I more round of chemo (3 weeks) to go...then on to full testing to make sure I am physically up to stem cell transplant. Dr believes I am but wants to make sure. He will harvest my stem cells in mid-February, then wait 4 weeks before stem cell transplant in mid-March. I will be immuno-compromised for ONE YEAR! No church, restaurants, meeting people inside, cruises, etc. I can resume golf in May if I feel up to it --- must stay away from people. My wife has to do the same...they don't want her to get something and bring it home to me.

Basically I'm ok with all this...the end result is that if all goes well I will be in remission and will probably live at least 10 more years if not longer. Lots of great advances being made in the field of blood cancers.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers...and I am more grateful than ever for the dedicated medical professionals who are doing all this, not to mention those who have given millions to provide this level of care.

I believe I will see Bama win at least 2 more CFP national championships.

RTR!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I am in full remission and just finished Hemapheresis -- the harvesting of stem cells from my blood. First was a 3 "tube" catheter...then they ran my blood from one tube, through a Pheresis machine that spun out the stem cells, and then back into my body. That process took 5 hours...wow. We harvested 4.92 million -- so I do not have to do this again tomorrow or Friday. 6 days off until major chemo treatment on Wednesday the 8th and then putting the stem cells back in on Friday the 10th.

I have to sing the praises of a whole floor of Pheresis nurses. I had problems with low blood pressure and high heart rate due to dehydration as a result of severe diarrhea -- which was the result of taking strong meds to enhance the Pheresis. I had a bad EKG @ 1pm and the doctors were not going to let me go. home. My heart rate was up around 120...way above normal. After being given fluids and ionic calcium I was feeling much better. About 5: 30pm the doctors said I could go home if I had a normal EKG. The nurses went to 2 different nurses stations to get an EKG that was working...and all pitched in and helped me with meds, etc., so that I could leave. They were the best example of team I have seen in quite a while.

Here's the kicker: they were composed of 1 Kenyan, 1 French, 2 probably native Americans and 1 Asian. The doctor was from a Slavic country...my hematologist is from Pakistan. I wish others could see these working so seamlessly and selflessly together. Really made my day/week/month.

MUSC is an amazing medical institution in the Deep South.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
The reintroduction of my stem cells went flawlessly...medical science is amazing. I'm taking about 9 pills a day to prevent/minize side effects and stimulate the stem cells to populate. I have little or no energy -- my hemoglobin is 11 and dropping -- but I am still kicking. The medical personnel at MUSC have been tremendous. I was able to skip today...but will go in every day for blood work to monitor my situation. With a tri-fusion catheter that is quite easy. 26 more days and my bone marrow should be back to par and my immune system functioning well.

This has not been fun...but I see so many far worse off than myself. Say a prayer or lift a thought for them...and if you are so minded/able the LLS.org is a fantastic organization that has helped literally millions of patients to afford chemotherapy.

My treatment is not the worst, but the toll on my mind and body is amazing. Chemo brain is real...trust me.

And now, on the winning the NCAA!

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The reintroduction of my stem cells went flawlessly...medical science is amazing. I'm taking about 9 pills a day to prevent/minize side effects and stimulate the stem cells to populate. I have little or no energy -- my hemoglobin is 11 and dropping -- but I am still kicking. The medical personnel at MUSC have been tremendous. I was able to skip today...but will go in every day for blood work to monitor my situation. With a trip-fusion catheter that is quite easy. 26 more days and my bone marrow should be back to par and my immune system functioning well.

This has not been fun...but I see so many far worse off than myself. Say a prayer or lift a thought for them...and if you are so minded/able the LLS.org is a fantastic organization that has helped literally millions of patients to afford chemotherapy.

My treatment is not the worst, but the toll on my mind and body is amazing. Chemo brain is real...trust me.

And now, on the winning the NCAA!
Get plenty of rest and take care of yourself, Padre.

Reactions: oskie and Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Chemo kicked my butt! I was in the hospital from 3/17 to 3/24. Started with diarrhea every 30-45 minutes for a whole day....then backed off to 1- ½ hours for the next day. They would not stop it until the source was determined. Turned out to be E Coli --- and since I had no immune system I was at its mercy -- and it has none. Finally started giving me Immodium on 3/21. Easily one of the worst "illnesses" of my life.God bless the wonderful nurses in the BMT unit @ MUSC. Finally better and back on track. Anyone who tells you that there is "moderate" or "weak" chemo is lying....all chemo is tough. Glad to be back!

BTW, I have no hair -- shaved by a nurse, Kinda look like Yul Brynner!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
My 100 day (since Stem Cell Transplant) visit was today. All my blood work was good...the Multiple Myeloma numbers were fantastic. I am basically in Complete Remission. However, I will have to take Revlimid 21 out of 28 days (pill) and get an Xgeva shot every month. This is for as long as I live...that part shook me up a little. But, that's just a small price to pay for living with a blood cancer.

Now I'm on to the process of getting all the vaccines and immunizations that I've ever had in my life. The transplant process wiped all those out...This will take about 6-9 months. I am still immunocompromised and cannot be in crowds at all -- too dangerous.

This is tough on my spouse who wanted us to travel...she's just about locked down as much as I am.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. This has gone as well as it could -- the hematologist said I was his star patient!! (He probably says that to all of us!)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.