Heather Dinich Thinks OU and Iowa State Will Both Make the Playoffs

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Here's what gets me about Heather. As long as she's not asked HER OPINION about, oh, "Who do you think will make the playoff," she actually is a relatively intelligent sounding person. Or when she's simply hosting and eliciting commentary from others. There's actually a part of me that feels for Heather a tad because EVERYONE KNOWS - and yes, we all know - she's a female in an extremely male dominant field and she's on camera largely because she's not ugly (that's my words and I'm sticking to them). TV is a visual medium and looking good matters, no crime in that.

The problem is that when she gives an opinion on the playoff, she's trying to be that wild card in the room who thinks the next card is gonna be a "2" when she's holding a 19 after two cards at blackjack. And she's TERRIBLE at it - and in her case (as opposed to Colin Cowherd being a complete fool for saying Malzahn was gonna win back to back titles in 13 and 14 just trying to sift the kitty litter box), she reinforces every single "dumb attractive person who only got the job because of her gender" stereotype. She's trying to be a contrarian in an effort to be taken seriously - and be able to say "see, I told you" - rather than just saying something that might be a little less than obviously predictable but doesn't scream, "This idiot doesn't pay attention to the games at all!" Saying, "I like Iowa State's chances if they can beat Oklahoma this year" is a reasonable point to express. It's flat out wrong since history shows they'll blow whatever prosperity they gain (SWIDT? Cyclones?), but it IS a reasonable opinion that is at least minimally believable. "Having a feeling" about the team that lost to Louisiana last year, well, that's okay even if less reasonable. Being contrarian with, "I think this is the year a conference that often sends up a sacrificial lamb is going to be so good that two of them impress the voters enough to make the playoff" is borderline psychosis. Iowa State's ONLY chance is going to be if they run the table, which probably means beating Oklahoma TWICE. Does she still think a 2-loss Sooner team is going to make the playoff? That's what I mean by reasonable. The Iowa State theory can work for IOWA STATE making it, but it's not going to work for two teams to make it in the Big 12.

If she could stop trying to be the one to theorize "this is how a 3-loss team can make the four-team playoff" or other preposterous notions (like an Ivy Leaguer winning the Heisman, Rich Rodriguez winning a national title, or Jim Harbaugh saying something intelligent), her reputation as a decent host would certainly be enhanced.
1625101130387.gif

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
The only reason the B12 gets ONE team in the playoff is because the conference winner usually plays a creampuff schedule, there isn't a fourth good conference, and the committee really doesn't WANT to put two teams from the same conference in there.

If Iowa was undefeated and the SEC had a situation like 2017, there would be a serious argument about putting the 1 loss SEC team in instead, they sure aren't going to put even a 1 loss second place B12 team in there.

The only way this is remotely reasonable would be to say that 1 of the 3 good conference champions has 3 losses, there are no 2nd place teams in either of the other two with 1 loss or less, and somehow Iowa is undefeated and OU has 1 loss, preferably a controversial close game. (which would mean that somehow the math wound up that they were left out of the conf champ game)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The only reason the B12 gets ONE team in the playoff is because the conference winner usually plays a creampuff schedule, there isn't a fourth third good conference, and the committee really doesn't WANT to put two teams from the same conference in there.

If Iowa was undefeated and the SEC had a situation like 2017, there would be a serious argument about putting the 1 loss SEC team in instead, they sure aren't going to put even a 1 loss second place B12 team in there.

The only way this is remotely reasonable would be to say that 1 of the 3 good conference champions has 3 losses, there are no 2nd place teams in either of the other two with 1 loss or less, and somehow Iowa is undefeated and OU has 1 loss, preferably a controversial close game. (which would mean that somehow the math wound up that they were left out of the conf champ game)
FIFY

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
She's just one of many (I'll go Jalen Rose on this) "tokenism" employees all of the sports broadcasting has put in place to show they are not "sexist" and are on board with equal employment opportunities for women. You see it on MLB Network, FSI, ESPN, etc.

The problem is, and let's be honest, when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the sport they're being paid to discuss, most are severely underqualified to discuss it. It would be no different than me trying to discuss professional women's fastpitch softball with Michelle Smith. I would sound like an idiot compared to her, even though I've played baseball at the college level. Sure, there's some crossover, but I would still sound uneducated about the sport compared to someone who's actually played it. So imagine someone who has never played any sport even akin to the one they're paid to talk about, like Heather Dinich, and others before her. They sound ridiculous.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
The only reason the B12 gets ONE team in the playoff is because the conference winner usually plays a creampuff schedule, there isn't a fourth good conference, and the committee really doesn't WANT to put two teams from the same conference in there.

I think, and I could be wrong, that the top 2 teams play each other in the Big12 CCG...round robin regular season, so no divisions...They'd chop w/OU at best leaving both with at least one loss.

Reactions: Bubbaloo

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not that anyone here cares what she thinks. I’m thinking she knew this would get her some attention and, well, it worked….
As for her prediction, I cannot come up with any realistic scenario where the Big 12 would get two slots.

You lost me at “Heather Dinich” and “thinks”, I knew it was fiction at that point.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
She's just one of many (I'll go Jalen Rose on this) "tokenism" employees all of the sports broadcasting has put in place to show they are not "sexist" and are on board with equal employment opportunities for women. You see it on MLB Network, FSI, ESPN, etc.

The problem is, and let's be honest, when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the sport they're being paid to discuss, most are severely underqualified to discuss it. It would be no different than me trying to discuss professional women's fastpitch softball with Michelle Smith. I would sound like an idiot compared to her, even though I've played baseball at the college level. Sure, there's some crossover, but I would still sound uneducated about the sport compared to someone who's actually played it. So imagine someone who has never played any sport even akin to the one they're paid to talk about, like Heather Dinich, and others before her. They sound ridiculous.
Amusing related story involving me. I guess it'll walk the line, but I don't think it'll cross it and it IS relevant.

In 2012, there was a religious scholar named Karen King (at the time I was writing my own religious school thesis) who imagined that she discovered "proof" that Jesus had been married. Everyone in Religious Studies - from the most fundy conservative to the most hardcore liberal - thought her "proof" was so far below the level of acceptable standards that she was largely dismissed when she was the only one taking this forged papyrus piece seriously. It was really no different than if some guy claimed they'd found timbers of Noah's ark, and he staked his professional reputation on it. And pretty much the only reason someone would make that kind of mistake is....because deep down they wanted it to be true.

Well, a couple of years later, I was involved in a large group discussion on that particular subject, and I made that very point albeit gentler than here. I was actually trying to NOT bash her (she was not part of this discussion btw) because I'm a human that makes mistakes, too. But the very moment I said what was pretty obvious to a number of other people, I got ripped as a "misogynist" for doing nothing more than expressing an opinion. I didn't rip her personally, I didn't even say anything remotely close to "she's a dumb broad" or anything. I got ripped by several folks - most of them the so-called "tolerant' people - who tolerate no dissent from the party line.

A few years later, the whole thing was exposed and she pretty much admitted everything I'm saying but didn't really want to come right out and say, "Yeah, I wanted it to be true." Of course, not one soul who ripped into me ever apologized for being a jerk, but if you think I forgot, well......

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In other news. Maria Taylor might leave espn. Her contract is up and she wants more money and apparently they don't want to pay her what she wants.
I kinda like her. She's smart about a lot of things.
I like her, too. Handled herself really well when Nick Saban snapped at her for no good reason, and was classy in her acceptance of his apology. Consistent with that, she takes a more measured view on a lot of things than the vast majority of talking heads....including Heather Dinich.

Dinich makes a business out of putting out ludicrous assertions. It's obvious that she's just going for clicks and social media followers.

One day, like a stopped clock, or a blind pig finding an acorn, or a drunk chimpanzee throwing darts, she'll hit the bull's eye on one. And she'll trumpet the random happenstance with lottery-level probability until she's in the dirt.....meanwhile skillfully sweeping the thousands of times she was wrong under the rug and counting on air cover from the general public's gnat-like attention span and memory.

I can't picture Maria Taylor doing that.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.