Heisman thoughts

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
As to the Heisman race, Bryce is currently leading according to BetMGM in Vegas, though it is close with Corral. -185 vs -250. Certainly not saying it is Bryce's to lose but he is definitely in the running, leading in fact, according to some objective observers. IMO, if Bama wins out, beating a supposedly "all time great" D like UGA's, with Bryce playing well, he will likely win. The only exception would be having a heroic performance in a close loss to UGA, though I think that is highly unlikely since IMO if he plays very well vs UGA, Bama will likely win.

The following excerpt is from Sportsnaut.com:

The Heisman Watch is getting wild, with Alabama Crimson Tide quarterback Bryce Young and Ole Miss Rebels star Matt Corral in a neck-and-neck battle. Let’s dive into how each of the top players performed in Week 8. ....

Heisman Watch: Bryce Young decimates Tennessee, Kenny Pickett shines
Bryce Young, the co-favorite for the Heisman Trophy, faced an excellent showcase opportunity in Week 8. After his closest competitor, Matt Corral didn’t shine, the door opened on ESPN for Young to prove he is the best quarterback in college football.

Sure enough, he delivered. Young set season-highs in passing yards (371), completions (31), rushing yards (42) and rushing touchdowns (two). He rarely missed, handled pressure like an NFL veteran and made plays on nearly every drive. Simply put, a masterful performance.
  • Bryce Young stats: 187-of-267 (70.03%), 2,453 passing yards, 26 passing touchdowns, 3 interceptions, 9.2 ypa and two rushing touchdowns
Corral certainly didn’t help himself in our Heisman watch Saturday. Playing with an injury, he finished with a season-low 185 passing yards and one touchdown against LSU’s defense. The Rebels easily came away with a win, but Corral opened the door for some other quarterbacks. But he has a great chance to recover in Week 9.
  • Matt Corral stats: 140-of-207 (67.6%), 1,913 passing yards, 15 passing touchdowns, 1 interception, 474 rushing yards and nine touchdowns
Link to Sportsnaut.com 2021 Heisman Watch
The stats you have posted are what I posted earlier and they suggest to me based on production Young is ahead of the Ole Miss QB.

Reactions: BamaInBham

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
If Bryce doesn't win it (they won't give it to a Bama player 2 years in a row), I think it should go to Matt Corral. I certainly don't want anyone from Oklahoma to win it. It's hard for a defensive player to win it. Bryce will be back next year, even better, and has another chance to win it. I do think Bryce will be invited to NYC this year, which will be great for his first year of playing. He can take the private jet to NYC, have a great experience, get more exposure, then come back and prep for the playoffs (hopefully) or NY6 bowl game. RTR
I disagree. They gave it to an Oklahoma QB two years in a row. I don't think there is any hesitation on the overall voters' part to vote an Alabama player two years in a row.

As good as Corral has been this year, he had a bad game against us in his biggest game of the year. Bryce Young has yet to play his biggest game before Heisman voting, which will be UGA if we can get there. If we win out the regular season and beat UGA then he wins the Heisman.

The thing that has me thinking more and more that we will be fine and that helps his chances at a Heisman is the fact that he is much more willing to run now. I think his hesitation in running hurt us earlier this year, but that seems to be gone. Probably from coaching, but regardless, it helps the team and his chances at a Heisman.

Reactions: Con

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
If Bryce doesn't win it (they won't give it to a Bama player 2 years in a row), I think it should go to Matt Corral. I certainly don't want anyone from Oklahoma to win it. It's hard for a defensive player to win it. Bryce will be back next year, even better, and has another chance to win it. I do think Bryce will be invited to NYC this year, which will be great for his first year of playing. He can take the private jet to NYC, have a great experience, get more exposure, then come back and prep for the playoffs (hopefully) or NY6 bowl game. RTR
LOL. No one from Oklahoma is in the running for the Heisman.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For all y’all that keep going to stats… y’all do realize that AJ mccarron destroyed Johnny Manziel in just about every passing category in 2012, had 1 bad game to Johnny’s 2, and won the SECCG against a very good defense. Yet AJ didn’t even finish in the top 10 in Heisman voting.

The Heisman trophy is not about stats or stats vs good teams. It’s a popularity contest mixed with “Wow” moments alongside politicking. Ole Miss never having a Heisman trophy winner is going to be a dumb factor in this race, and so is Lane’s politicking.

Consider who votes… Ask yourself is Trevor Lawrence better than Mac? And if not then why does the media (voters) even today consider him far superior.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Oh wait. ESPN is all a flutter over the freshman QB there. He’s a “magician” apparently. Saying he deserves a seat in NYC
Did you not see his comeback against Kansas?

It was the equivalent of getting into a fight with a 10 year old and he kicked your butt for 3 hours. You then got in a lucky left hook and took him out. Then while he was on the ground you kicked him a little.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
For all y’all that keep going to stats… y’all do realize that AJ mccarron destroyed Johnny Manziel in just about every passing category in 2012, had 1 bad game to Johnny’s 2, and won the SECCG against a very good defense. Yet AJ didn’t even finish in the top 10 in Heisman voting.

The Heisman trophy is not about stats or stats vs good teams. It’s a popularity contest mixed with “Wow” moments alongside politicking. Ole Miss never having a Heisman trophy winner is going to be a dumb factor in this race, and so is Lane’s politicking.

Consider who votes… Ask yourself is Trevor Lawrence better than Mac? And if not then why does the media (voters) even today consider him far superior.
Sure except for the fact Johnny Manziel had 700+ more yards passing. 1,400 yards rushing and 21 TDs rushing. AND out played AJ and won the head to head at Alabama.

I don't think anyone here thinks Corral has no shot. Just that Bryce has a real shot too and right now might even be ahead

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sure except for the fact Johnny Manziel had 700+ more yards passing.
Yards aren’t really a good sign for a good quarterback. Atleast not like QBR and TD-Int ratio. But even then, AJ had the numbers enough to crack the Top 10 in voting but didn’t. It really shows you what the Heisman is and isn’t. it’s a sports writers award. Stats don’t really factor in as much as people think.

Bryce has a chance but Corral is very much ahead right now in popularity. Plus Kiffin is going to do anything he can to bag another Heisman. Ole Miss not having a Heisman is also going to factor into it. Sports writers love a great story more than an anticlimactic ending in which the guy on the best team wins it.

We can spend all day on stats but they only mean something when voters say they do.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Sure except for the fact Johnny Manziel had 700+ more yards passing. 1,400 yards rushing and 21 TDs rushing. AND out played AJ and won the head to head at Alabama.

I don't think anyone here thinks Corral has no shot. Just that Bryce has a real shot too and right now might even be ahead
Yeah that comparison was a head scratcher.

I get the overall point though. No way Lawrence should have been ahead of Mac last year. However, I don't know how much of that was due to D. Smith being the obvious winner, and a lot of voters throwing Lawrence a career achievement bone. In other words, take D. Smith out of the equation. Does Lawrence win and Mac finish 2nd?

Perhaps. There have been more egregious results than that in the past.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah that comparison was a head scratcher.
Johnny had two horrible games and wasn’t even in serious Heisman consideration until they beat Bama. Meanwhile AJ heading into that game was the odds on favorite. AJ after that game still put up the same production but went from odds on favorite to not even on the top 10 ballot. The point is more of AJ being severely punished for 1 game to the point that he wasn’t even on the ballot than Johnny winning it after 2-3 horrible games. The voters can create any metric that they want at any time. There have been several out of nowhere Heisman trophy winners that defy logic other than it being a feel good story.

For teams like Bama, it’s almost like there was no other choice when a player has won it.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Tua was the landslide favorite…until he wasn’t…because *insert reason here*. Bryce isn’t winning the Heisman, but it won’t be because he’s undeserving.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The voters don’t want anybody from Alabama. They will look for reasons to justify it.

Young wins only if he continues to perform as he has thus far, and we win out.

He deserves to be the clear leader right now, but will be cut no slack for a sub-par performance. The talking heads will make all sorts of excuses for the others, should they stumble.

The award is for the best player, not the most valuable player. Thus far, Corral is the most valuable player. He is not the best player.

Gives the Alabama-fatigued crowd some air cover, though.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ah well, I will still hold out hope. And yes, I enjoy Alabama players winning these awards. The NC is the ultimate goal, but I enjoy the prestige of our guys taking these trophies as well.

Bryce will have LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, and hopefully Georgia as fantastic showcase opportunities. If he has production in those games like he has all year, particularly the last two, and we win, then he will win the award in a landslide. Any other results and he likely won’t.

It’s been well documented here how Tua lost out. It wasn’t so egregious as I originally felt. He did struggle a good bit against MSU. He really struggled against Georgia but was injured. That seemingly didn’t factor in (it also actually did not help at all that Jalen came in and lead us back in that game, furthering the narrative that it doesn’t matter who Alabama has at QB).

But Bryce will have his opportunity. I don’t think it is settled at all that it’s impossible or highly unlikely that he wins.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think we all agree at least that the Heisman will be won between now and the end of the season.

I still think its between Stroud, Bryce, Corral and Pickett (Pickett seems least likely to me and would need the other guys to have bad games)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.