Home/Road Splits v. SEC under Saban and some other interesting stats

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I was looking up some stuff for another discussion and figured I'd share some interesting stat quirks:

Alabama is undefeated v. Arkansas (12-0), Tennessee (12-0), Kentucky (4-0), Missouri (3-0), Vanderbilt (2-0).

Alabama is 5-1 v. Georgia overall but 0-1 at home v. Georgia. All 5 wins came in the State of Georgia (2 regular season road games, 2 SECCGs, 1 CFPCG).

Alabama is 5-1 in Tiger Stadium but 3-3 in Jordan-Hare. Which one is actually Death Valley? Auburn is the only team to hand Saban's Alabama more than one loss while in their home stadium. Seems like Jordan-Hare at 2:30 is tougher than Tiger Stadium at night to me.

While Georgia is the only team undefeated in Bryant-Denny during the Saban era, South Carolina is the only SEC team undefeated at home v. Saban's Alabama. I bet we change that this season.

Alabama has only lost one neutral field game v. the SEC: 2008 Florida in the SECCG.

Maybe this isn't interesting to some but I figured I'd share some interesting facets on just how dominant this era of Bama football has been.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
8-4 is a very good overall record, but it would be nice to see Saban finally beat a 9+ win Auburn team this year in JHS and to finally put the whole “Auburn Magic” tendency there to bed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
How about Auburn not win 9 games in a season again for the rest of CNS's tenure? I don't get the fascination with Auburn's record when they beat us. As long as we beat them more than they beat us, I'll be happy.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
How about Auburn not win 9 games in a season again for the rest of CNS's tenure? I don't get the fascination with Auburn's record when they beat us. As long as we beat them more than they beat us, I'll be happy.
The record is what it is. Call it a fluke or whatever you want. The fact is that Saban’s record is made up of wins against mediocre to bad Barn 8-4 teams and losses primarily against very good Barn teams. I say that knowing how close the 2010 and 2013 games were.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Another way to look at it and I don't know if it is any easier for some to swallow: Auburn has cashed in every good team they've had in the Iron Bowl during the Saban tenure and that was good for only 4 wins. 2013 is the only one that really stings for me because I do not think Auburn was the best team in the SEC but Alabama played a C+ game full of self-inflicted harm at a bad time. 2007, year one Saban with a lot of internal problems in the locker room going on by that point. 2010, we were not the best team on the field heading into the game even though we were probably the more talented one. 2017, we were so injured on defense I was basically just hoping for the best and expecting the worst by the time we got to kickoff.

A loss is a loss but let's be real: at least they were clearly the better team on that day other than 2013 when they had an RPO TD in the era before they mostly enforced ineligible downfield to tie the game and Alabama should've had a 10-14 point lead if not for errors Auburn's players did nothing to cause.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Another way to look at it and I don't know if it is any easier for some to swallow: Auburn has cashed in every good team they've had in the Iron Bowl during the Saban tenure and that was good for only 4 wins. 2013 is the only one that really stings for me because I do not think Auburn was the best team in the SEC but Alabama played a C+ game full of self-inflicted harm at a bad time. 2007, year one Saban with a lot of internal problems in the locker room going on by that point. 2010, we were not the best team on the field heading into the game even though we were probably the more talented one. 2017, we were so injured on defense I was basically just hoping for the best and expecting the worst by the time we got to kickoff.

A loss is a loss but let's be real: at least they were clearly the better team on that day other than 2013 when they had an RPO TD in the era before they mostly enforced ineligible downfield to tie the game and Alabama should've had a 10-14 point lead if not for errors Auburn's players did nothing to cause.
Agreed. That's why I just don't get caught up with the stat. 2013 was an abomination but the others were kind of expected. Especially 2007. Overall, we are 8-4 against them under CNS. Looking back to where we were when he started, I would have been pleased with that and I never would have expected the dominance against everyone else. I know we'd all love to be 12-0 against them, but give Auburn credit. They haven't tried to replicate what we have done (everyone else that has gone that route has failed). They've embraced their identity and have ended up being the only (somewhat) thorn in our side over the entire CNS tenure.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I was looking up some stuff for another discussion and figured I'd share some interesting stat quirks:

Alabama is undefeated v. Arkansas (12-0), Tennessee (12-0), Kentucky (4-0), Missouri (3-0), Vanderbilt (2-0).

Alabama is 5-1 v. Georgia overall but 0-1 at home v. Georgia. All 5 wins came in the State of Georgia (2 regular season road games, 2 SECCGs, 1 CFPCG).

Alabama is 5-1 in Tiger Stadium but 3-3 in Jordan-Hare. Which one is actually Death Valley? Auburn is the only team to hand Saban's Alabama more than one loss while in their home stadium. Seems like Jordan-Hare at 2:30 is tougher than Tiger Stadium at night to me.

While Georgia is the only team undefeated in Bryant-Denny during the Saban era, South Carolina is the only SEC team undefeated at home v. Saban's Alabama. I bet we change that this season.

Alabama has only lost one neutral field game v. the SEC: 2008 Florida in the SECCG.

Maybe this isn't interesting to some but I figured I'd share some interesting facets on just how dominant this era of Bama football has been.
I think a lot of that has to do with the game being Auburn's super bowl every year and the results of our national recruiting under CNS. IMO it's hard to teach guys from Jersey, California and all points in between, what this rivalry means to the Auburn Fambily. We probably need to come up with a tradition like the cigar after TenorC. Though the way the Vol-in-tears play these days we might as well vape a cigar juice.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The record is what it is. Call it a fluke or whatever you want. The fact is that Saban’s record is made up of wins against mediocre to bad Barn 8-4 teams and losses primarily against very good Barn teams. I say that knowing how close the 2010 and 2013 games were.
Gus has three eight-win seasons that were not nine-win seasons because......Saban beat him.

He had two more against Auburn in 09 and 11 - both 8-win Tiger teams.

Alabama is the major reason those teams didn't win this presumed 9-win threshold.

I get the frustration, but it's a lot of "so what" to me.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Gus has three eight-win seasons that were not nine-win seasons because......Saban beat him.

Alabama is the major reason those teams didn't win this presumed 9-win threshold.

Exactly, they have had what three 9 plus win seasons since 2008??? Not exactly like they are happening every other year. Its not really Alabama's problem that auburn is so terribly mediocre and inconsistent.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Exactly, they have had what three 9 plus win seasons since 2008??? Not exactly like they are happening every other year. Its not really Alabama's problem that auburn is so terribly mediocre and inconsistent.
I GET what he's saying here, and I think it's the old Auburn canard of "well, we weren't no good anyway" coming home to roost.

I guess I just don't worry about that stuff, but he's not wrong in what he says (up to a point), either.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
By the same token other than 2013 every team they've beaten was either not one of our best (2007 and 2010) or so injured by game 12 that they were practically not one of our best anymore either (2017). It is a two-way street on that talk but perception will always be that even weaker Saban Alabama team is a significant scalp. That's fine by me too because ultimately it is a sign of respect for the program.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Just so we're clear.....LSU's "Saturday Night in Death Vallley" nonsense is one of those myths right up there with the Loch Ness Monster and Alabama's "57-game home winning streak" or "throw out the records for the Iron Bowl."

I've heard about LSU on Saturday night going way back to the late 1970s, and Cholly Mac's refusal to move the 1979 game up for 230pm telecast. It's always been something of a myth for a very good reason: it's one of those areas where thanks to modern CFB and the eight-game SEC schedule, you can run up huge numbers on out of conference cupcakes.

Entering 2018, there was a big deal made (by LSU, of course) that over the previous 13 seasons (starting with Miles's first game), LSU was 78-13 at home. But three of those losses came in 2008, when they played THREE SEC TEAMS that ended the year ranked and lost all 3 of them. And LSU has lost FOUR STRAIGHT games AT NIGHT to Alabama at home, the last two being shutouts.

Who are their ACTUAL WINS? (We'll start with 2017 and go back)

2017 - UTC, 4-8 Syracuse, Troy, ATM - they also played Auburn IN THE DAY TIME, the West champs no less, and beat them.
So, yeah, they were 4-0 at night, but three of those teams didn't have a pulse and ATM wasn't very good anyway (I will give them credit for a decent win, though).

2016 - Jax State, 5-7 MSU who got an undeserved bowl game, 4-8 Mizzou, Ole Miss - and a loss to Alabama
4-1 and lost to the only decent team they played at night at home

2015 - E Michigan, Florida, WKU, ATM, and a loss to Ole Miss
4-1 again, but okay, TWO good wins and a terrible loss makes you 2-1 against decent teams

2014 - Sam Houston St, ULM, N Mex St, 5-7 UK, Ole Miss, and night losses to Alabama and the eventual #1 (for a month) MSU
So 5-2, with one good one and two losses against good teams yet again

2013 - UAB, Kent St, Auburn, Furman, ATM, Arkansas

OK, a pretty good year this time since Auburn played for the title and ATM was good. 6-0, but they'd have beaten four of those teams with their second string probably.

2012 - UNT, Washington, Idaho, Towson, SCAR, MSU wins - and another loss to Alabama
6-1, and okay, they did well against SCAR and Washington and a decent MSU, but it should be noted they had more talent than those teams and beat them in the daytime, too.

2011 was a helluva good football team, and they went 6-0 at home and would have beaten anybody that year at home - possibly even Alabama. So give them full credit here.

2010 - 9-4 MSU, 9-4 WVA, McNeese, ULM..and their last home win over Alabama IN THE DAYTIME no less.

2009 - 2-10 Vandy, ULL, loss to UF, Auburn, Tulane, La Tech, Arky

6-1 and a couple of decent wins over Auburn and Arky

2008 - UNT, 4-8 MSU, Tulane, Troy

Meanwhile, LSU lost to GOOD teams at home at 230 kickoffs against UGA and UA and Ole Miss

4-0 at night, 4-3 overall, but didn't play anyone worth a damn at night anyway

2007 - MSU (decent), Va Tech, MTSU, Florida, Auburn, La Tech

OK, a really good overall year with 3 good foes they beat at night in Red Stick

2006 - ULL, Tulane, UK, Fresno, Alabama, OT vs 4-8 Ole Miss

Solid foe with UK but the rest were not very good at all; Ole Miss may be a rivalry game, but they were 4-8 under Coach O that year

2005 - Vols (lost to them), Florida, Auburn, UNT, App St

A couple of cupcakes and 3 good foes, beating two of them.

But a count of those games above shows that LSU would have had 40 of those 78 wins if the game was played on the polar ice cap at -40 degrees.....and "Death Valley on Saturday Night" didn't have a damned thing to do with it.

I'm not saying they shouldn't brag, but a little context in all things is in order. That drops you to 38-13 against decent foes, which is still a pretty damned good record save for the fact that rare was the game that LSU won where they didn't have substantially more talent than the opponent. Maybe 2007 Florida. Maybe.

I seem to recall it being pretty dark (after the sun went down) in the afternoon game against Ole Miss in 2009. It wasn't Ole Miss that choked at the end of that game, either. And I'm not even saying it's not probably a pretty crazy place to try and play ball. But it's not some Bermuda Triangle/Loch Ness Monster "hmm, does it exist" mystery, either. The venue and the time of the game just don't have a whole lot to do with it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
2007, OT Matt Stafford GWing TD pass.
I knew it had to be 2007...kinda blocked that year out to some extent...but we did get our "revenge" the next year in Georgia when Julio had his coming out party.

The 2010 loss to Auburn is the one that stings the most in recent memory. We had them on the ropes in the first half and without some Auburn voodoo of a ball rolling 30 yards down the sideline the game should have been over in the first half. And then we know about Mark Barron's injured shoulder and the crazy go ahead throw to Lutz...I still can't stand the thoughts of sCam Newton smiling during an interview that asked him about illegal benefits. Everybody on the planet besides Barn fans believe they got away with murder and bought a NC that year. I still get a little sick feeling when I think about that...:(

I think a lot of that has to do with the game being Auburn's super bowl every year and the results of our national recruiting under CNS. IMO it's hard to teach guys from Jersey, California and all points in between, what this rivalry means to the Auburn Fambily. We probably need to come up with a tradition like the cigar after TenorC. Though the way the Vol-in-tears play these days we might as well vape a cigar juice.
I do think you are right about that. I think the game just means more to more Auburn players than Bama players for the reason you mention.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
More Saban records at Bama:

Home Record: 77-7 (current 26 game home winning streak)
Away Record: 43-7
Neutral Record: 27-7
Overall 147-21

Record vs SEC: 91-14
Record vs Other Power 5 Teams: 22-6
Record vs Non Power 5: 34-1

Post Season Record (SECCG, Bowls, CFP): 17-6

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Thanks

until Saban breaks through that glass, there will always be somebody to point it out—to date, he has NEVER beaten a very good to great Auburn team, assuming we can all agree 8 wins does not equal very good or great.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks

until Saban breaks through that glass, there will always be somebody to point it out—to date, he has NEVER beaten a very good to great Auburn team, assuming we can all agree 8 wins does not equal very good or great.
Again, those 8 win teams would have been 9 win teams if AU had won. Not only that, it seems that when they lose to Bama they fall apart and lose their bowl game too. For example, 2016 and 2014 could have easily been 10 win teams but they were 8 win teams. AU is cursed to have to share the state with the greatest college football program of all time, so it's like they have been thrown the bone of a few "perfect storms". AU is a legit top 15-20 type program all-time, but they get massively overshadowed in their own state.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.