Question: How can I learn more about football strategy? (X's and O's)

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I've learned quite a bit about the strategy of football over the years, and I would say that I have a decent grasp of football strategy for a fan who only played pee wee football and have never coached the game, but compared to any coach or player my knowledge is pretty weak. The more I understand the strategy of the game, the more I enjoy football. So, I would really like to learn more. Where would y'all recommend going to learn more? Books, videos, etc. Thanks!

Reactions: Tidelines

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was curious too, and so I used the chatbot and this is what I got:

1. Books: "The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football" by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian offers an in-depth look at the culture of college football, including the strategies and tactics used by top programs like Alabama. "Saban: The Making of a Coach" by Monte Burke is a biography of Alabama head coach Nick Saban that offers insights into his coaching philosophy and strategy.
  2. Video analysis: Alabama football games are broadcast on national television throughout the season, and many sports networks offer analysis of games and strategy. The SEC Network, ESPN, and CBS Sports are all good options for in-depth analysis of Alabama football games.
  3. Podcasts: There are several podcasts that cover Alabama football strategy and analysis, such as "The Alabama Football Podcast", "The Bama Insider", and "Locked On Bama".
  4. Coaching clinics and seminars: The Alabama football program offers coaching clinics for high school and youth coaches, as well as an annual Coaching Clinic for fans. These events offer a chance to learn about Alabama's football strategy from the coaching staff and other experts in the game.
  5. Online courses: The University of Alabama offers online courses in sports management and coaching, which could be a great way to learn about football strategy and analysis from a top-ranked university.

Reactions: Probius

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I recommend some books by Chris Brown - he starts off pretty rudimentarily but builds on it. If you miss some of the simple stuff you can easily misunderstand the more complex.

Posting this as someone who does not consider himself an expert by any stretch, but rather someone who has been down this path. Good stuff here: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Chris-B.-Brown/author/B0083LDIA2

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I've learned quite a bit about the strategy of football over the years, and I would say that I have a decent grasp of football strategy for a fan who only played pee wee football and have never coached the game, but compared to any coach or player my knowledge is pretty weak. The more I understand the strategy of the game, the more I enjoy football. So, I would really like to learn more. Where would y'all recommend going to learn more? Books, videos, etc. Thanks!
Books, Videos, and bending the ears of Offensive guys in the know, and Defensive guys who believe in playing tough.
You are going to have a lot on your plate.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Watch the replay of a game and don’t follow the ball but watch how the LBs react, or the DBs. Watch the routes the WRs run and how they should build a route tree for the QB to read. You can get caught up in just following the ball and miss the nuts and bolts of how a play should operate, or why it broke down. After a while you’ll start to see these things in a live game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I recommend some books by Chris Brown - he starts off pretty rudimentarily but builds on it. If you miss some of the simple stuff you can easily misunderstand the more complex.

Posting this as someone who does not consider himself an expert by any stretch, but rather someone who has been down this path. Good stuff here: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Chris-B.-Brown/author/B0083LDIA2
I'll add on that his website has a good amount of info as well.

He also lists his "favorite coaching resources" on his site

Reactions: crimsonaudio

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Watch the replay of a game and don’t follow the ball but watch how the LBs react, or the DBs. Watch the routes the WRs run and how they should build a route tree for the QB to read. You can get caught up in just following the ball and miss the nuts and bolts of how a play should operate, or why it broke down. After a while you’ll start to see these things in a live game.
Wish they would show the "all 22" camera angle on something like espnu after the game.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Probably just be depressing seeing all the holds, pass interference, and late hits they didn’t call on our opponents.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Probably just be depressing seeing all the holds, pass interference, and late hits they didn’t call on our opponents.
It’d be kinda hard to see with the camera angle backed off far enough to get all the players in frame.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.