How do we get a presidential candidate who will get (almost) the entire country behind him/her?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I used to do write ins but decided I was creating extra work for some poor slob. Johnson would have been in way over his head but he wasn’t carrying Alabama so I wasn’t hurting anything. I felt increasing the Libertarian vote was making a bigger statement.

My political views have moved leftward the last few years due to a desire to not be associated with the Trump cult.

I don’t know if Saban cares about BLM. But his players do. If his participation in the march deflected any negativity towards the players or kept one idiot from yelling racist comments it was worth it. I doubt he cares if a few toothless morons stop watching or don’t buy the cheapest t-shirt made in China that Wal-Mart sells.
Lol but you have to admit that it was hilarious to see the write in names when they were forced to be counted when Jones and Moore met the automatic recount threshold.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Most people I know don't like politicians.

More than anything they tolerate them - because they have no choice.

How many elections take place when the phrase "lesser of the two evils" is heard? Or the equivalent.

In my opinion, there will always be support for candidates who are politically incorrect.

Reactions: Rolltide51

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
In my opinion, there will always be support for candidates who are politically incorrect.
I agree. Some people can't help but support bullying a-holes that reflect their own poor values. Politically incorrect is just another phrase for jerk. "politically correct" is just another phrase used to denigrate showing respect for others and displaying good manners. Some people don't like getting called out for behaving like brutish animals.

Reactions: 92tide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Most people I know don't like politicians.

More than anything they tolerate them - because they have no choice.
Not that I disagree, but just remember that the average person is still incredibly stupid.

People hate politicians.
People hate lawyers.

At least until recently, one of the most respected group of people were judges - who are largely politicians and lawyers or who at the very least have moved through the very political system people despise.

How many elections take place when the phrase "lesser of the two evils" is heard? Or the equivalent.
All of them.
Nobody can do anything to make other people like YOU more - but everybody can do almost anything to make them like your opponent much less.

Voters DO respond to "authenticity" or at least "seeming authenticity." One of Al Gore's advisors told him in 2000 that what McCain had tapped into in the electorate when he put W on the ropes was his "authenticity." She later said that the only time during that entire race when Gore was himself was when he picked Liebermann and gave his Convention speech. The rest of the race (until that great concession speech) he looked like a programmed robot afraid to tell the truth about anything.

(The McCain of 2008 was the same guy as he always was - but he didn't RUN as that guy in 2008...not that he could have beaten Obama with an endorsement from Martin Luther King and Jesus Christ both).

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and Bamaro

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
President Biden is a decent, compassionate person who has spent his life in public service. With the possible exception of the immigration issue, I feel he has done an admirable job considering what he inherited from his predecessor. I have quite a few friends who are all baby boomers like me, and the only reason I can determine for their hatred of Biden and love of Trump is centered on two main things. They have been fed the lie since the late 50's and early 60's that Democrats are liberal to the point of being communists and want to set in motion plans to give a larger percentage of government tax dollars to minorities, immigrants, and dead beats who want to live off federal give aways. This infuriates them because if that happens then they fear losing their current, hierarchal, socio economic position. They are essentially racists which leads to their belief that the Democrats want to take from them and give to the poor thereby making them closer to being equals. The second point is that they believe that somehow, God or whatever higher being you believe in, supports the conservative, right wing movement which is essentially that white, Christofascists are the chosen race. I could have saved time by saying that economics and racial differences will prevent electing the kind of individual Bazza described.
Thanks for an accurate description -- unfortunately. I was out of the country and could not respond...

Reactions: GrayTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am not so sure that this board is more liberal than in years past, the appearance of being liberal is because there are so many never-Trumpers on here. Most people can recognize a sociopathic crook.
Its really not that liberal. It’s more Never Trumpers.

What has happened is that Trumpers got unruly and/or their feelings hurt when they found themselves in the minority opinion of the board after years of this board being far more conservative in nature through the W and Obama years.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not that I disagree, but just remember that the average person is still incredibly stupid.
This, a million times over, and unfortunately this is true about personal individuals in my life circle that I am forced to interact with and in some cases am kin to, either by blood or marriage.

Granted, by no means am I suggesting that I'm "better" than anybody and do not have my bouts of "stupidity" from time to time. But there are those, be it by just limited natural intellectual capacity or how they were raised, have ZERO room for learning and personal development in their lives on any level.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
have ZERO room for learning and personal development in their lives on any level.
We've all been stupid. We all start that way. Most often we all resist new ideas. Eventually we either accept new (to us) truths or reject them. One way to get more to reject for longer is by stirring up visceral emotions that counter logical thought. In particular, fear is powerful in that regard.

Reactions: MobtownK and 92tide

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I can understand how someone who votes Republican has decided he doesn't like all politicians.

I see the Dem mission as one of helping the ones who need it, and advancing the common good, that type stuff. Generally positive, uplifting goals. That makes it easier for me to have a positive feeling about the Dam candidates I wind up voting for.

I've been disappointed that one candidate didn't get the nomination over another, but I have never actually disliked the final Dem candidate (in the Presidential election.)

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The problem with states like Alabama is that for the majority of voters the “lesser of two evils” is always Republican. They refuse to even consider the other side of the aisle because their Bible says Democrats go to hell or are the devil (depends on the translation).

If Saban’s support of his players cause some fans to get ****ed and leave, good because those are the types of fans I do not want to be associated with.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
time will tell indeed. but in real time, he's doing a lot better than i expected.

he was able to get through a massive covid rescue package along with other things that has the economy humming along. imagine the hellscape we would have if we were in a recession right now with inflation the way it is.

he also has been able to help align a vast majority of the world against putin. that in itself is a pretty major accomplishment considering the minefield that foreign policy on a large scale can be.
That didn’t age well. The economy is humming? You posted a tweet by Pelosi saying the economy was in “free fall.” Warren doing laps on the Sunday Shows last week indicates biden is about to have a challenger.

• Haha

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Thought this was an interesting segment and worth posting in this thread.

Abrams makes some pretty good points here, IMHO.

The majority of Americans aren’t as ideologically wired as both sides try to say. Most Americans go to the booth and vote on who they feel will help them in the immediate financially. Sure there are other issues but our democracy was made on economic independence and most people vote with that in mind.

Gallup

Moderates tend to stress economic plans and things that they can realistically enforce. And often see platforms fulfilled and mostly happy constituents.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
This all feels like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown. Everyone says they want a moderate, and if there actually was a moderate that had a little something that everyone did not like, christian evangelicals and crazy old white people would get in a nitrous boosted wheelchair race to pull the lever for someone like trump or desantis, claiming that <insert moderate candidate here> wasn't a real american or christian.

Reactions: Bamaro and 92tide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
This all feels like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown. Everyone says they want a moderate, and if there actually was a moderate that had a little something that everyone did not like, christian evangelicals and crazy old white people would get in a nitrous boosted wheelchair race to pull the lever for someone like trump or desantis, claiming that <insert moderate candidate here> wasn't a real american or christian.
Like they are already doing now?

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
The majority of Americans aren’t as ideologically wired as both sides try to say. Most Americans go to the booth and vote on who they feel will help them in the immediate financially. Sure there are other issues but our democracy was made on economic independence and most people vote with that in mind.

Gallup

Moderates tend to stress economic plans and things that they can realistically enforce. And often see platforms fulfilled and mostly happy constituents.
There is a Mo Brooks radio ad calling Katie Britt a radical moderate... If I can track it down I'll post it.

• Haha
Reactions: 81usaf92

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
A moderate is not trying to get right wing evangelicals any more than they are trying to earn the votes of the extreme left. There are enough voters close to the middle to forget the extremists in both parties.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.