How good is Cincy?

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Ohio State would probably be favored by at least 10 points if they were facing Cincy in a bowl game.
They aren't one of the best 4 teams in the country, but it worked out that they made the playoffs this year.

I do think they are a good, top 10 type team though, so we have to show up and play a good game.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think the fact that they played a competitive game with Georgia last season ( and were actually winning 21-10 after 3 quarters) in the Peach Bowl gives them a lot of confidence and has them believing they can play with and actually upset an SEC team. I think we better play our "A" game.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I believe Bama’s OL/DL will overwhelm them. We may rush for 200+ yards and our front 7 could have 5-10-15 sacks, TFLs, and hurries.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Their corners are good - one is an all American. IMO this needs to be a smash mouth run it down their throats and beat them into submission type game. Keep their defense on the field with long, time consuming drives, and game should be over by halftime.
I have no clue how “deep” they are defensively, but they are a G5 team - can’t be that deep.
No. That is their type of football. Young is your best player. He needs to be allowed to win this game like he did the GA game.
Both can be true. I do think we get up by 3 scores letting BY ball. Then salt the game away with the run game and a front seven they just can’t block when playing from behind.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think in one game we can destroy the entire Go5 argument forever.
I don't know why you think that. Both Notre Dame and Oklahoma keep getting blown out in the playoffs, yet people keep saying they belong. We got whipped in the finals by Clemson, and that didn't mean we didn't belong. I hope we beat them easily and move on, but I doubt that will keep some people from beating the G5 drum.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
No. That is their type of football. Young is your best player. He needs to be allowed to win this game like he did the GA game.
But they don’t match up well. Cincy has the 47th ranked rushing defense - with their schedule? No, we disagree. “Type of football” or not Bama’s Oline can destroy them.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
First, Cincy is nothing like the smaller teams that you would expect from a G5 team. They play power football - P5 football. They are well coached, and very experienced.

How to beat them? Stop Ford. It really is that simple. If Ridder has to throw the ball 30+ times in the game, they will lose badly.

Their strengths:

Very good QB - Ridder - 4th best draft eligible QB in CFB, and on almost every award list
Very good RB - Ford - would start for Alabama right now
Very good TE - Whyle - up for the Mackey award.
2 NFL starters at CB (Bryant & Gardner) - both up for many awards
Great DE - Sanders - would start on the Buckeyes
Seems I recollect a TE the other night doing more than a little damage. You can bet Cincy noticed it as well.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
But they don’t match up well. Cincy has the 47th ranked rushing defense - with their schedule? No, we disagree. “Type of football” or not Bama’s Oline can destroy them.
[/QUOT
IF our O line has their collective heads screwed on straight and comes to play with a focus and purpose.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
Although we should take Cincy seriously, and yes they can beat us if we look ahead, their season is based on one win - Notre Dame. So lets look at Notre Dame. They played ONE post season ranked team - Cincy. And lost. They have NO wins vs ranked teams. And early in the season they really struggled (3pt vs Florida St in overtime, 3pt vs Toledo, etc). Yes, they improved over the season, but come on. Do they REALLY deserve being ranked #5? And yet that is the whole argument of Cincy being in. I think Ohio State or Oklahoma would demolish either of them. If getting into a four team playoff is this easy, heck, lets leave the SEC and join the AAC. We would be nearly guaranteed a playoff seat every year.

Reactions: Relayer

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think the fact that they played a competitive game with Georgia last season ( and were actually winning 21-10 after 3 quarters) in the Peach Bowl gives them a lot of confidence and has them believing they can play with and actually upset an SEC team. I think we better play our "A" game.
fwiw, georgia didn't even come close to taking that bowl game seriously last year

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
fwiw, georgia didn't even come close to taking that bowl game seriously last year
The same dynamic I have mentioned in relation to Oklahoma-Boise St. and Bama-Utah. The "Aw shucks. All we get is this lousy bowl game against an opponent we could destroy if we cared" effect. Underdog narratives are built on that effect.

This bowl game mismatch, on the other hand, actually means something (a chance to play for a national championship). I suspect Bama will be ready to play and not expect Cincie to roll over for them.

Cincie is a capable team, but if Bama shows up and plays close to its potential, Bama wins comfortably.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yep - and they almost lost, even with the huge talent differential. Well, this year's Alabama team has really under-performed time after time when the players did not respect an opponent. That is what Cincy is counting on. Take them lightly and you could lose. Take them seriously and they really have no chance.

Is this team mature enough after the Auburn game to take Cincy seriously? We will see.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yep - and they almost lost, even with the huge talent differential. Well, this year's Alabama team has really under-performed time after time when the players did not respect an opponent. That is what Cincy is counting on. Take them lightly and you could lose. Take them seriously and they really have no chance.

Is this team mature enough after the Auburn game to take Cincy seriously? We will see.
my guess is yes. i think the light finally went on last week (maybe sometime in the second half of the barn game).

we have seen flashes of the dominance we saw saturday all season, it just wasn't consistent.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I am concerned about Cincinnati. I think they have a very good team and a very good coach. They also have a very good RB who will try to prove that he’s a great RB. Only wish he’d stayed at Bama. I think they also have a very good QB.

Being a big underdog, the Bearkats are going to try to prove they belong in the CFP. I would not be shocked if they beat Bama and the Michigan/UGA winner. Here’s hoping that does NOT happen.

What will the media be saying if Cincy wins the NC?

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.